Psionics Coming Soon To D&D?

WotC's Mike Mearls has hinted that we may be able to expect some psionics content soon, possibly in the Unearthed Arcana column. He was asked by Ethan Clow on the Twitterweb "any chance we might see a Psionic class for 5e soon? Perhaps in unearthed arcana?" to which he replied "wouldn't be surprised. I *might* have had a couple prior edition psionics books on my desk last week..." (Thanks to Wolf Hunter for the scoop).

Mercurius

Legend
Sounds promising, but....I hope our standards haven't been lowered so much to become excitement about an impending article. "Ooh, I can't wait for that new 1,000-word piece coming out sometime in the next few months!"

if anyone on the inside with WotC is reading this I want to again pitch my idea of perfect mix of 4e, 3.0, and 2e psionics...

you have a ton of at will powers to choose from (broken up telepathy, telekinetic, psicometabalic, psicoportive) some are able to be taken alone, others have prereqs (level or other powers) they can be augmented to be more powerful with powerpoints that come back with a short rest.

as you level you get more powers and the ability to choose ones that are not at will but better augments for powers you already have...

then let you have sub set of powers based on 3e psionic focus... keeping it or expendeding it.

SilentWolf

First Post
@ Mercurius: I think the reason for this news is not just talking about the next UA, but giving players feedback about one of the most awaited rules: the Psionic. If there is a rule, in fact, that in recent months players are increasingly demanding, it is the Psionic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I guess it depends on witch previous edition rules he has, some make me excited, others scared.

It also depends which editions he actually uses and how they use them. Which edition decides as the base classes and which edition provides the subclasses and which one provides the powers is a huge decision. Personally I favor 4th/3rd/2nd psionics

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I'd rather see 3.5 psionics used as the base for classes, but moving Soulknife to a subclass of Psychic Warrior and using the 4E classes as inspiration for subclasses of psion, psychic warrior, and wilder. Other than that, I'm not too worried about how the mechanics will work out.

Mercurius

Legend
@ Mercurius: I think the reason for this news is not just talking about the next UA, but giving players feedback about one of the most awaited rules: the Psionic. If there is a rule, in fact, that in recent months players are increasingly demanding, it is the Psionic.

I hear that. I'm mainly saying that I hope this is a sign that they'll give psionics a full treatment, meaning an actual expansion book. If there's one way to add a "4E module" to 5E, psionics could be it, as the powers paradigm works perfectly for it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases