D&D 5E Psionics in 5e: how?

How about 1E's approach: psionics rules everything else and breaks the game?

[/snark]

I liked the direction 4E moved in - Psionics was effectively another style of magic, and shared a lot of the basic rules. It was just different enough to feel different, but there was only a little additional mechanics required.

I also prefer, fluff-wise, the psionics-as-willpower-magic as opposed to the psionics-as-talents/disciplines (which, due to my age, puts me in mind of 70's sci-fi and not fantasy). I quite liked Rolemaster's take on that, and 4E's power sources with psionics being one of a set, sat well with me for the same reason.

Mechanically, I agree with this approach.

For presentation, I hope 5E psionics are in a separate module in a separate book so I can safely continue to ignore them.

dkyle

First Post
Never really understood why Psionics should be so controversial, or why people should expect it to be so different from magic. Just seems like another fluff for magic, to me.

I do understand, of course, what a complete and utter mess it was in 2E and before, and that gave it a bad rep, but by 3E, I don't see much controversial about it.

Someone

Adventurer
Behold the power of boredom. A poor attempt at psionics rules.

You can use, dislike, suggest or alter them as you like. If anyone likes it, I may include the psychic warrior when we know exactly what combat superiority dice can do.

Attachments

• 5e psionics.docx
    26.5 KB · Views: 81

Steely_Dan

First Post
The 1st Ed Psionic rules are hilarious (but still have style), I mean, really, please read them in the 1st Ed PHB (it really is an exercise).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
....must spread EXP etc... [MENTION=17106]Ahnehnois[/MENTION].

I am still using the Psychic's Handbook. It would be a good model for 5e, tweaked.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I am still using the Psychic's Handbook. It would be a good model for 5e, tweaked.
I think the basic system presents a naturalistic feel distinct from magic but well within the d20 framework, and is inherently modular (as DMs are encouraged to simply ban or use each talent-telepathy, psychokinesis, etc.-at their discretion). I also think the scaling of the skills is really wacky and unbalanced, and the classes are boring and not powerful enough, but those things are fixable (and I am fixing them aggressively).

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I would hope for a system like the 3.5 rules myself. It had power points, and a great crystal motif. I liked it as it reminded me of the 2e psionics system, save that with levels for powers, everything balanced out.

Remove ads