D&D 5E Psionics in a sci-fi D&D

How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
There are some pretty simple systems that I think would work, it depends how expansive you want it to be. Could just have a half dozen disciplines with a few powers in each rather than a massive list.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
And then can we reskin that so there's a magic version of flexible casting?
I'd love to. My ideal version of D&D magic is pick a school and make checks to cast within those limits. DCs based on your level and the spell level, etc. Have something like a magic fumble that causes you damage, gives you exhaustion, gives you mutations, wild magic surges, etc as a limiter. But otherwise, free style casting. Hickman's XDM does something like this and it works like a charm.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You're worried about "psionic" spells being mixed with "magic" spells and creating a more powerful caster? I suppose that's an issue.
One of the issues.

I would assume though, that 99% of the psionic "spells" would simply be regular spells anyway. Most of the regular psionic effects already exist as spells in the game, so, it's not like it's a major problem. And, because we're just adding to the magic system, keeping it balanced shouldn't be too difficult. You already have a ready made system for judging the effectiveness of game effects.
That's my issue.
If the effects already exist in spells, there is no point to psionics
UNLESS
You are adding more effects and breaking more limits.

Basically there is no point to making psionics as spells, especially after TCOE, unless your goal is to make broken spells and/or power up spellcasters.
If the magic system can cover everything from druids to warlocks - classes which share virtually nothing other than they both cast spells - then covering psionics is a piece of cake. Tailored spell lists, a system for modifying spells on the fly similar to a sorcerer and poof, instant psionicist. Heck, the sorcerer makes a pretty good chassis for doing it.

Hence my point. "Psionics as Spells" exists currently.
There is little point to do more "Psionics as spells" unless you want something broken.

You'd have to separate psionics from the spells system and invent new bounds into order to further it.

see

Pedantic Grognard
You know, there's a reason why every version of psionics from WotC and Paizo has been steadily less like the vision of psionics that launched in the height of the "Lorraine Williams won't let the designers playtest things" era, and it's not that game designers hate psionics fans.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Psionics in my current campaign are a rough fit as I wait for an official psionics system to emerge.

I have two NPC classes: Psion and Psychic Warrior. Their powers base off of intelligence, but essentially thay are rangers and wizards with the following changes:

1.) Spellpoints from the DMG replace spell slots.
2.) Intelligence is the ability.
3.) Ignore Somatic and Verbal components.
4.) They have a "spell list" that is unique.

Every Psion or Psychic Warrior gets a special ability I rip off from some character in some piece of fiction.

That is a really basic build - but I'd be fine if they adopted something like it just to fill the gap. They've gone too long without a system.
This is very similar to what I do. Great explanation.

I think the thing to think about is issues like the following:

If Psionics is meant to feel more like someting scientifically plausible (note the comparative - it's all relative) then how does necromancy work?

There are certain things that don't really break science as we know it, manipulation of energy, the ability to read brain waves etc. These things can be done at least in theory with the right kind of technology, even if the mechanisms of psionics feel more like magic.

But certain things such as necromancy imply an underlying fantasy physics or metaphysics.

So at the very least, I'd be wanting to prune the spell list.

Remathilis

Legend
Split the middle: psionics are a unique system that casts spells, many of which are unique spells to the psionic. Something akin to a warlock pact magic or spell point system. It's familiar enough to magic it can be grasped with limited new rules, but feels distinct in play and not a wizard reskinned.

Remathilis

Legend
I think the thing to think about is issues like the following:

If Psionics is meant to feel more like someting scientifically plausible (note the comparative - it's all relative) then how does necromancy work?

There are certain things that don't really break science as we know it, manipulation of energy, the ability to read brain waves etc. These things can be done at least in theory with the right kind of technology, even if the mechanisms of psionics feel more like magic.

But certain things such as necromancy imply an underlying fantasy physics or metaphysics.

So at the very least, I'd be wanting to prune the spell list.
Telekinetic animate dead.

Hussar

Legend
I have a question.

Why the insistence that we need psionic classes?

Why not simply a series of feats with an additional feature that you can replace any class feature you gain after 1st level with a psionic feat. The feats would be something along the lines of warlock invocations- similar in power to a class feature. Would make each sort of psionic package a nice discrete element that could be added to anything - PC or NPC - without a lot of work.

So, you could have a character that is a little psionic on top of being a _____ or you could be mostly psionic with a chassis of another class.

Why do we have to have psionic classes?

Remove ads