D&D 5E Psionics in a sci-fi D&D

How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

Yaarel

He Mage
Judging by the poll, at least the ENWorld community leans toward new mechanics. I consider 63% or more to be a decisive majority, albeit not a defining majority. So there would still be alot of customers who are less thrilled with new mechanics.

Personally, I would design the psi class with new mechanics, but still make sure that these new mechanics can be used to cast the spells of other classes, like Wizard and Bard, to ensure multiclassability, as well as 5e game-engine compatibility generally.

I hope, the psi can function as a full caster with powerful capabilities comparable to high level spells.

The blurb for the Level Up Voidrunner setting has a "space opera", whence Star Wars vibe, whence psionics=magic.
Star Wars is on the far soft sci-fi end of space opera. It doesn't define the genre, so no, saying that it's space opera doesn't settle the question. I'd say that the fact that OP asked the question already knowing what genre they were going with proves that it isn't a settled matter. All that's really needed for space opera is for it to be large in scale, conflict-driven, and dramatic.

I hope, the psi can function as a full caster with powerful capabilities comparable to high level spells.
I'm hoping mostly for the opposite. I don't need another full caster class, especially not one that already has functional overlap with the wizard's spell list as is.

Yaarel

He Mage
I'm hoping mostly for the opposite. I don't need another full caster class, especially not one that already has functional overlap with the wizard's spell list as is.
There can be more than one psi class: one like a wizard and one like a monk.

5e officially supports both class concepts. Psionics is officially magic in 5e, but appears variously as "Innate Spellcasting" that casts spells without components, as well as nonspell class features, like for the Psi Knight.

Personally, I am unlikely to buy a product that lacks a powerful Psion caster.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Star Wars is on the far soft sci-fi end of space opera. It doesn't define the genre, so no, saying that it's space opera doesn't settle the question. I'd say that the fact that OP asked the question already knowing what genre they were going with proves that it isn't a settled matter. All that's really needed for space opera is for it to be large in scale, conflict-driven, and dramatic.
Agree pretty strongly about star wars almost being so soft it falls off towards fantasy or something. From the placeholder cover it looks somewhere between shadow run Babylon 5 & maybe a few other things too early to give much weight to

Yaarel

He Mage
Agree pretty strongly about star wars almost being so soft it falls off towards fantasy or something. From the placeholder cover it looks somewhere between shadow run Babylon 5 & maybe a few other things too early to give much weight to
Babylon 5 has full-on magic, even a techno-mancer mage. The psionic powers of vorlons produce magical effects that resemble the Star Wars Force.

Also, Shadowrun is overtly magic.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Babylon 5 has full-on magic, even a techno-mancer mage. The psionic powers of vorlons produce magical effects that resemble the Star Wars Force.

Also, Shadowrun is overtly magic.
Yea shadow run has magic, but it's separate from tech and the don't mix well so the tech stands on its own. Texhnomancers in b5 have like one episode where they avoid the plot and maybe a walk on part elsewhere. The first ones aren't so much magic as so far advancement beyond everyone else that their biological tech can look that way.. Over the series you see things like the very much tech based vokn mimbari whitestars and sjsdow! Human whatevers

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I do not think anyone has mentioned xcom as a psionic source for ideas so here we go:

Remove ads