D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Psi points were more about upping what the discipline did already.

Doesn't metamagic do that?

Distant "Power" extends the range of telekinesis.
Empower "Power" makes mind blasts deal even more damaging.
Extend "Power" increases the duration of mind-affecting powers (and similar)
Heighten "Power" makes mind-affecting powers more potent (more likely to affect the target)
Subtle "Power" make tricky tricky powers even more tricky.
Twinned "Power" allows you to mind blast/dominate more creatures at once

What else are you looking for?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Doesn't metamagic do that?

Distant "Power" extends the range of telekinesis.
Empower "Power" makes mind blasts deal even more damaging.
Extend "Power" increases the duration of mind-affecting powers (and similar)
Heighten "Power" makes mind-affecting powers more potent (more likely to affect the target)
Subtle "Power" make tricky tricky powers even more tricky.
Twinned "Power" allows you to mind blast/dominate more creatures at once

What else are you looking for?

For me, metapsionics would be tagged to the power itself and less to a layer on top of the system.

A psion would put points into Modify Memory change how their alignment when recalling the memory. A psion could put points into Levitation to modify the weight capacity of his levitation. A psion can pout points into a power to change the number of senses an illusion fools and how.

A sorcerer (or wizard) can't do this. They only tap into a system with hardcoded spells and layer magic on top of it. You can't change "the text" of a spell since you are invoking the power of a deity or pulling a spell code from your worlds version of the Weave. A spell is a spell and you can only ajust the headers, descriptors, tags, and damage. Tags and numbers only really. You can turn fireball into cold all but not into firesheet or firestrike or fireball next Tuesday but in your mind.

For me, metapsionics would be tagged to the power itself and less to a layer on top of the system.

A psion would put points into Modify Memory change how their alignment when recalling the memory. A psion could put points into Levitation to modify the weight capacity of his levitation. A psion can pout points into a power to change the number of senses an illusion fools and how.

A sorcerer (or wizard) can't do this. They only tap into a system with hardcoded spells and layer magic on top of it. You can't change "the text" of a spell since you are invoking the power of a deity or pulling a spell code from your worlds version of the Weave. A spell is a spell and you can only ajust the headers, descriptors, tags, and damage. Tags and numbers only really. You can turn fireball into cold all but not into firesheet or firestrike or fireball next Tuesday but in your mind.

Here's now I would handle that situation:

Sorcerer: "Can I spend 2 sorcery points to double the weight lifted by my levitate spell."
DM: "Sure. Roll a DC 12 Charisma (Arcana) check and let's see what happens."

I see no problems with the current rules. They're an excellent framework for me riff off of. That's all I want.

WotC does the heavy lifting. I play jazz.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Sorcerer: "Can I spend 2 sorcery points to double the weight lifted by my levitate spell."

I see no problems with the current rules. They're an excellent framework for me riff off of. That's all I want.

You missed my point.

I don't think the sorcerer should be allowed to change the weight capacity.

Sorcerers are natural innate casters but they are still bound by the rules of the God of Magic, the Elf pantheon, the Weave, the Code, the Formula, the Winds of Magic, the Force or whatever magic is based on. You can only alter the outside of spells.

Psionics isn't bound this way. The only limitation is what their minds can create and handle.

You missed my point.

I don't think the sorcerer should be allowed to change the weight capacity.

Sorcerers are natural innate casters but they are still bound by the rules of the God of Magic, the Elf pantheon, the Weave, the Code, the Formula, the Winds of Magic, the Force or whatever magic is based on. You can only alter the outside of spells.

Psionics isn't bound this way. The only limitation is what their minds can create and handle.

A wild magic sorcerer channels magic.
A psionic sorcerer uses psionics.

If you want, one can bound by those rules. The other needn't be.

Play jazz, man. Riff on that trumpet.

Last edited:

It's not a question of over 4 editions, it's only a question of what the customer base, as a generalization, likes right now. And right now, the majority of the customer base never even played a prior edition and do not appear to have any attachment to psionics as something other than spells They did do polls, they did get feedback, and this appears to be the least objectionable to this particular customer base for this edition.

And they don't need to show you their cards by the way. Their data is collected for them to make decisions. Their data wouldn't change your preferences anyway, so what would be the purpose of "providing you evidence"?

Maybe read the post instead of responding to some presumed post?

Evidence etc. was directed at the poster making the claims, not at WotC. WotC haven't claimed this is the "least hated" approach. That's a fan claim.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
A wild magic sorcerer channels magic.
A psionic sorcerer uses psionics.

If you want, one can bound by those rules. The other needn't be.

Play jazz, man. Riff on that trumpet.

Spells are the rules. You can't unbound them.

Sorcerers can only put sauce on their spells or reheat them. The God(ess) of Magic is to one who writes the recipe and you can't deviate.

Once the steak is well done, ain't no turning back.

Psions cook from scratch and can throw spice in the pot. But the process is so taxing and too variable, they are always too tired for sauce and their cookbook is small since no God(ess) manages it.

Spells are the rules. You can't unbound them.

Sorcerers can only put sauce on their spells or reheat them. The God(ess) of Magic is to one who writes the recipe and you can't deviate.

Once the steak is well done, ain't no turning back.

Psions cook from scratch and can throw spice in the pot. But the process is so taxing and too variable, they are always too tired for sauce and their cookbook is small since no God(ess) manages it.

The DM writes the gods of magic. The DM interprets the spells. The DM chooses which rules to follow, which to ignore, which to bend, and which to nuke for orbit. The DM plays jazz.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The DM writes the gods of magic. The DM interprets the spells. The DM chooses which rules to follow, which to ignore, which to bend, and which to nuke for orbit. The DM plays jazz.
Is the DM going to let a sorcerer edit every single spell in the game every single time they cast a spell?

That's what psions do. That's why they usually are shoved in their own book.

Remove ads