D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Max, you are certainly entitled to your feelings.... but none of what was produced in U/A was what you wanted.

And yet I said for multiple different versions that I'd be happy with it, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted. The same with most of the other people in the psionics threads. There were a few die hards that were "My way or the highway," but most of us would have been okay with a version that wasn't what we considered perfect.

Some other method of polling, was not going to change that.
It absolutely would. They went yes/no on each individual design, rather than listing them together and having us rate them. They'd have gotten much higher "like" ratings if they had done it that way. Lots of people would have been like, this one is a 7 out of 10. This one is an 8. That's a 6. That one is a 4. And so on.

I like 5e. It is an edition themed on story, for Dungeons & Dragons. When you compare it with the average RPG, D&D is still a rule-heavy game, in my opinion.
What is an "average RPG" in 2020?
CRPGs are massively complex.

Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing is more complex then D&D 5e.
The Cypher system games have at their heart a resolution system that can charitably be called "fidely and non-intuitive".
Pathfinder 1e is more complex.

Hell, Gloomhaven, a board game is more complex then 5e.

In yesteryears one played Talisman to take a break from 1e/2e D&D, complexity.
My wife wants to play D&D, to take a break from Gloomhaven. 🤫

Last edited:

And yet I said for multiple different versions that I'd be happy with it, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted. The same with most of the other people in the psionics threads. There were a few die hards that were "My way or the highway," but most of us would have been okay with a version that wasn't what we considered perfect
Max, every thread regarding psionics for the last 2 years on ENworld ran for 10+ pages.
These were not peaceful assemblies...these were rancorous discussions that never resulted in consensus...the threads died from pure exhaustion.

Max, you love Psionics, but my fallible memory places you as an active thread participant in Psionic threads to the "bitter end".

Honestly, discussions about Psionic U/A changed my alignment. I take a dim view of schadenfreude, but I am looking forward to Tasha's release to hear the lamentations of the grognard, never pleased Psionic fans, and to see them driven before me.

In the words of Willie Wonka: "No Fizzy Lifting Drink, No Everlasting Gobstoppers, for you".🌈

(note...this is satire...well mostly)

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Max, every thread regarding psionics for the last 2 years on ENworld ran for 10+ pages.
These were not peaceful assemblies...these were rancorous discussions that never resulted in consensus...the threads died from pure exhaustion.

Max, you love Psionics, but my fallible memory places you as an active thread participant in Psionic threads to the "bitter end".

I like to argue, sure. I also said that I liked the Mystic and the psionic die. In addition, I said several times what I said here about people liking more than one iteration of psionics, even if it wasn't the one they were campaigning for. Many pro-psionic folks gave those posts likes, indicating that they felt the same way. And multiples posted agreement.

Well the most recent Psionic Classes from U/A are in. No Psi Die just means a static, defined Die progression with either an ability modifier or proficiency bonus added in.

Sincerely, I hope you are not too disappointed with whatever is released.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well the most recent Psionic Classes from U/A are in. No Psi Die just means a static, defined Die progression with either an ability modifier or proficiency bonus added in.

Sincerely, I hope you are not too disappointed with whatever is released.
If it's just psionic magic, then I'll likely not use it. If the psionics have V, S and/or M components, for sure I won't be using it. Psionics don't have components.

Those were also not psionic subclasses. They were non-psionic subclasses that dipped their toes into psionic power a bit.

1600843260924.jpeg

The man in black says "get used to disappointment". Sorry.

Remove ads