D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Stormonu

Legend
I'm just concerned with them being formatted as spell, with spell schools is going to create some interactions that ruffle my feathers, and its a bit unsettling that the fluff doesn't quite match expectations.

I can see, though, why they formatted them as spells - they might be abilities that also get doled out to other classes or already be part of another class's spell list - and who wants multiple copies of the same ability written out yet again just because it's coming from a different source - would psionic Mind Blank be really that much different from the spell Mind Blank?

As an aside, the Savage World RPG made a central list of powers and then created a trait that you selected that defined the source of your power - For example, you might have an Invisibility power, but the source could be Divine, Huckster Magic, Demon Magic, Generic Magic, Mad Science or Superpower. Mechanically, they acted the same, but because of the fluff source, you could tailor the description and interactions to fit your game. It works for that game well, it's just a shame D&D didn't consider this approach and made the assumption the source of everything would be spell magic.

However D&D settings with a Weave, Shadow Weave, or Truenaming has magic flow through or by accordance to a god or multiple gods whereas psionics does not.

Psionics as spell works for setting where goddess do not manage the flow, access, nor structure of magic. However in the most popular D&D settings it does.

Psionics as spells is like making Hamon, Kamehameha waves, and Ninjutsu core concepts for fighters.
I'm not defending this idea of psionics as spells. I think it's rather silly. That's not what my posts were about.

I was opposing the idea that Chaosmancer and Crimson Longinus put out that psionics are redundant and superfluous to D&D because they were arguing that arcane magic didn't rely on gods in any way and came from within, making psionics essentially another form of arcane magic.

Hence pointing out the established canonical metaphysics of D&D settings that established that divine, arcane, and psionic powers come from distinctly different sources.

I was opposing the idea that Chaosmancer and Crimson Longinus put out that psionics are redundant and superfluous to D&D because they were arguing that arcane magic didn't rely on gods in any way and came from within, making psionics essentially another form of arcane magic.
Divine magic doesn't necessarily need Gods either (dependant on campaign setting).

"More more or less?"

Did... did you ever read the Complete Psionics Handbook? It was a skill-based system, more akin to Proficiency rolls with power points than anything to do with the magic system.

Maybe you meant 5E or something? I have no idea how it worked in that system.

I would have much preferred that they released no psionics system than just spells labelled as psionic.

There were actually two systems... the one you referred to and the one from skills and powers. We used the latter. I don´t really remember how it worked in complete psionics (other than that it used all abilities and seemed even more clunky in actual play), but the latter one was the one with open and closed minds I referred to in a different post.
In skills and powers you usually rolled a mental attack roll vs mental armor class. No too different from attack spells, or rather how powers worked in 4e.

Did you read 5e? If you did you would have noticed, that psionics in a FUTURE book is the name of this thread.

Remove ads