Psionics

drothgery

First Post
It seems to me that given 4e-style niche protection, the energy power blasting ought to go, at least as a major schtick (this is clearly the domain of 4e arcanists in general, and wizards in particular). And that probably goes for astral constructs as well (summoning really belongs to a dedicated Summoner). Mind-altering powers definitely should be one of the better psionic options (and probably the one thing the psion [or possibly telepath] best at).

As for ectoplasm... never really bothered me much.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Well, as there will probably be more than one class with a psionic (or is it "psychic" now? See the sample warlock's fey powers) power source, perhaps the snot will only be used by the BoogerCaster class.

Kahuna, while a "always-on" telepath may feel more accurate from a fictional genre standpoint, in a game, it's typically very unbalancing, and even plot-ruining. I've seen RPG's with entire sections devoted to "dealing with telepathic characters". I think 4e telepathic abilities will follow the same limited use model as other power's we've seen.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Kahuna, while a "always-on" telepath may feel more accurate from a fictional genre standpoint, in a game, it's typically very unbalancing, and even plot-ruining. I've seen RPG's with entire sections devoted to "dealing with telepathic characters". I think 4e telepathic abilities will follow the same limited use model as other power's we've seen.
If telepathy is thrown on top of a system, then I agree that can happen. However, if it's integrated, I don't think that needs to be a problem. (or any more of a problem than the existance of divination spells). IME, most of the overpowering effects of psionics (or any other optional/house ruled system) come from throwing it into a world which is built as if the new factor never existed before.

Kahuna Burger said:
um, is this one of those "Star Wars isn't sci fi" things? :confused:
No, but it is not a "modern" word. It's a good word for something controlled by the mind, the user's own strength, etc. If the connection to SW it too strong, try the Power, The Talent, The Gift etc.

Last edited:

hong said:
But what about the snot?
If it is cthulhuesque blob of goo that must be consumed in ungodly rituals to power the mentalist, I'm all for it.

As a ghostbusters product placement, it needs to go.

Damn, double post!

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I like my science-fiction aspects in fantasy. Though... This could probably be chocked up to mostly a personal thing. Given my first 4E campaign has; Victorian-Steampunk, God-Machines, Reality/Energy Ley Lines that are tracked by machines, etc. :p

But I don't see why various things people dislike wouldn't work for psionics.

Ectoplasm: While yes, ectoplasm came into being in the 19th century. I think it is an important aspect of psionics and the spirit-world. It just needs to be reworked more properly, it can be "strands of fiber, like spider-web that twinkles in the light but vanishes when touched."

Energy: While hurling fireballs and acid is quite out there. There are psionic methods of combative-energy such as; pyrokinesis or thermokinesis.

I would love to see some passive abilities with telapathy too, perhaps bonuses to passive perception or insight?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases