• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Published Epic level adventures

Sandain

Explorer
Hello,

I am looking for published Epic level adventures (18+) that I can buy online or appropriate anyones homebew notes (i.e Wizardru's or PirateCat's adventures are imho better than ANY official published stuff)

So far I have the following;
Hellstone Deep
Bastion of Broken Souls
The Stormlords Keep (Dungeon)
The Razing of Redshore (Dungeon)
The Dungeon adventure where the party will fight Vlaakith in the Astral - I forget the name

I appreciate everyones input.

Thankyou,

Pinotage

Explorer
I think you've got about as much as there is. I briefly ran The Storm Lord's Keep which was fun for a while but the players didn't enjoy it because with the amount of options open to them as epic characters it was more a case of spending hours deciding what to do than actually doing anything. As a DM I found that epic play requires a fine touch and good balance, something which I don't think I've learnt yet.

Pinotage

Mystery Man

First Post
Whatever happened to that website that had all the published adventures listed and searchable? I wish I would remember to bookmark stuff...

pogre

Legend
Sandain said:
Hello,

I am looking for published Epic level adventures (18+) that I can buy online or appropriate anyones homebew notes (i.e Wizardru's or PirateCat's adventures are imho better than ANY official published stuff)

So far I have the following;
Hellstone Deep
Bastion of Broken Souls
The Stormlords Keep (Dungeon)
The Razing of Redshore (Dungeon)
The Dungeon adventure where the party will fight Vlaakith in the Astral - I forget the name

I appreciate everyones input.

Thankyou,

I believe you have all of the published stuff. I too am surprised by the relative lack of support at this level but a lot of folks seem to shun these

James Jacobs

Adventurer
High level and epic level adventures are really hard to write is one reason you don't see many of them; the NPC stat blocks are SUPER complicated and high-level PCs have so many options open to them it's tough to design encounters for them that are challenging without being impossible. In addition, they're the least-played levels, although I'm not sure if that's because more people like playing mid-level or low-level games, or because there's a dearth of high-level/epic-level adventures.

There's a couple of high-level adventures on the WotC website, and Gygax's Necropolis is also pretty awesome.

I would LOVE to publish more higher-level adventures in Dungeon. We've done a few; the last two adventures in the Shackled City Adventure Path are for pretty high-level characters:

Issue #115: "Strike on Shatterhorn" (18th level)
Issue #116: "Asylum (19th-20th level)

And although it starts out for 12th-level characters, issue #112's "Maure Castle" takes up that whole issue and presents 4 levels of the infamous dungeon, and is designed to take characters up to around 18th-level. So you could run the 4th level as a stand-alone adventure for a group of 18th-level characters, I bet.

I've been hounding authors for super high-level adventures as well, and starting with May's issue (#122) we've got a menace from Mike Mearls for 18th-level characters. And a few issues after that we've got a high-level one that should prove quite popular.

And to top it off, we've got an acutal epic-level adventure scheduled for early summer! It's called "Quicksilver Hourglass," it's for 30th-level characters, and it's gonna make a lot of PCs cry. We'll include some notes and tips on how to adjust it down to 20th-level (and all the levels in between), but it's definately going to be the highest-level adventure we've ever published. Just the thought of editing those stat blocks makes me giddy!

Sandain

Explorer
Wow thankyou for all these responses! I do follow Jester's storyhour and should have listed him in my first post as I have appropriated some of his ideas. I will start reading Sepulchrave's storyhour today.

The Dungeon magazine is quite hard to get reliably in my town, as we have no RPG stores and when I goto other citys is just luck whether they have any issues there I need. I have got a prescription from Paizo now though and have another thread asking what Dungeon mags I should back order from them.

I wonder James, if you think that DM's on these boards have designed adventures that can be put in Dungeon fromat and be viable in your magazine? EN worlders are good at collaborative projects.

Arnwyn

First Post
James Jacobs said:
High level and epic level adventures are really hard to write is one reason you don't see many of them; the NPC stat blocks are SUPER complicated and high-level PCs have so many options open to them it's tough to design encounters for them that are challenging without being impossible.
Well, duh. That's why I'm willing to pay for them!
I've been hounding authors for super high-level adventures as well, and starting with May's issue (#122) we've got a menace from Mike Mearls for 18th-level characters. And a few issues after that we've got a high-level one that should prove quite popular.

And to top it off, we've got an acutal epic-level adventure scheduled for early summer! It's called "Quicksilver Hourglass," it's for 30th-level characters, and it's gonna make a lot of PCs cry. We'll include some notes and tips on how to adjust it down to 20th-level (and all the levels in between), but it's definately going to be the highest-level adventure we've ever published.
Is it any wonder why I love Dungeon? Seriously, it's really the only gaming product I look forward to nowadays.

Man-thing

First Post
Mongoose is releasing "The Drow War" this year as 3 256 page modules. The complete campaign is supposed to move characters from 1 - 30 level over the span of 3 books. I think the first book is set for March or April.

Remove ads