• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Punishing Your Dice

Holy Bovine

First Post
I once had a friend of mine throw a perpetually misbehaving die into Lake Huron. He said it sailed a good 20 meters before being lost to the deep. I currently have an orange d20 on semi-permanent imprisonment in our china cabinet. It is there as an example to the others.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
It's not unheard of for a misbehaving die to get thrown into a corner in our group. I've been GMing for the last year and more than once I've been told that my d20's are "in danger of getting thrown" by one of the players so I'll switch to another die to appease them. This typically results in me rolling even better with the new die.

Last session one of the players was rolling so terribly that he finally hurled his d20 against my brick fireplace in frustration. It shattered into a lot of tiny bits and paralyzed the group with laughter for a couple minutes.

grodog

Hero
While playing Lord Robilar, Rob Kuntz rather famously smashed a d20 that was cursing his luck in the original Greyhawk campaign. He used a hammer (they played at the sandtable in Gary's basement or garage, so I imagine a number of tools were available to inflict hideous doom on misbehaving dice).

I wonder how many of these misbehaving dice could have avoided punishment if thier owners had properly broken them in.

All those who have confessed to dice punishment; you have, properly introduced, cleansed, and fame rubbed all new dice before letting them mingle with the others right?

If not then you only have yourselves as slacking dice parents to blame. :angel:

Humanaut

First Post
Back in highschool, typical punishments for misbehaving dice were tossing across the room or into the freezer. Good times. :D

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
While playing Lord Robilar, Rob Kuntz rather famously smashed a d20 that was cursing his luck in the original Greyhawk campaign. He used a hammer (they played at the sandtable in Gary's basement or garage, so I imagine a number of tools were available to inflict hideous doom on misbehaving dice).
As Pope of this thread, I hereby name Rob Kuntz the "Patron Saint of Punishing Bad Dice."

picture.php

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen some people just toss their die away...

However, I do have a friend who punishes his M:tG cards.

When his decks mis-perform, he'll take the key card- IOW, the one that just didn't show up, like the 2nd forest he needed, or the last card in a combo- and stick it down the front of his shorts, often with this verbal addition:

"Next time, its the backside!"

The deck usually does better after that (with the offending card replaced by an un-punished duplicate, of course).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads