• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Puppet Masters....

Darthbelch

First Post
Yea, teh crafting.....Thats pretty much what I want him to be based, on, the buffing capabilities is kind've important too..but the druid companion & leadership...is that entirely necessary?

Land Outcast

Explorer
This Rapid Posting Sucession has me a bit shaken up...

Cleric's buffing capabilities +
Drd's Animal Comp. (Stats only, applies to his strongest puppet) +
Leadership (Stats only, applies to his strongest puppet)

and also able to create more puppets apart from his "masterpiece", probably of lesser power but still useful, given that they are his only strength (right?).

Someone else out there willing to help? 'cause I'm going to sleep :p

Note: at some high level we could have his "masterpiece" turned into an improved shield guardian... just a thought.

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
last comment of the night: entirely necesary? not at all :lol:

I was just suggesting that in case what you wanted was a guy with a "faithful golem masterpiece", or sort of.

OMG! just remembered, Effigy Master in Complete Arcane

Darthbelch

First Post
This is really coming together!

That sounds great! And yes, the puppets would pretty much be his only strength, hsi ENTIRE life [literally xD] are put into these things....but the idea of a MasterPiece at a higher level....Thats awesome!!

He could begin his masterpiece, say at level 10? then it would only be like the lesser puppets, but he could continue to work on it as he leveled. Or maybe, he could just select a lesser puppet to become his master piece?

Darthbelch

First Post
Yea, I know about the Effigy master...but that dosent really sound like what I'd be looking for, Im thinking the puppets look ALOT like toys, as in they actually resemble puppets in some form or another [though that dosent change why he couldnt make a giant one later, such as that shield guardian you brought up]

Nyaricus

First Post
There is also the Techsmith in Faiths and Pantheons, which allows you to create a Gondsman, a construct of sorts, to fight for you.

Prereqs:
  • Skills: Craft (armoursmithing, blacksmithing, metalworking or weaponsmithing) 9 ranks,
  • Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Skill Focus Craft (armoursmithing, blacksmithing, metalworking or weaponsmithing),
  • Ability to cast minor creation,
  • Patron: Gond
  • Special: Must visit the High Holy Crafthouse of Inspiration in the city of Illul on the island of Lantan.

Now, what this means is you have to be a 8th level Sorcerer or 7th level wizard in order to meet the prereqs, -or- have taken the Craft Domain, which gives that as a 4th level domain spell for a cleric. The PrC gives +1 spell level of existing class/level (allowing you to meet this PrC with either Sorcerer, Wizard or Cleric levels and not suffer -spells, Technical Knack (by 8th level a total of +6 competence bonus on all alchemy, appraise, craft, disable device, knowledge and open locks involving some sort of mechanical, technological or explosive circumstance, a bonus domain (only gives spells if a cleric, but gives domain power to anyone), Construct Sense (an ability to communicate telepathically with constucts within 60 feet), Golembane (Constructs DR is negated, all of it), Improved Critical with any weapon used, Explosive Obsessions (get to used Renaissance Grenade-like weapons with increaded damage and blast radius) and Golemsmite, which, on a critical hit automatically destroys anything of the construct type.

Basically, it is uber.

Hope that helps :) BTW it has an awesome drawing evocative of the tin man from the wizard of oz on 'roids done by the ever-amazing Wayne Reynolds :D

Arkhandus

First Post
I may think up some helpful bits for this thread later.....it is an interesting basic concept at least.

Alas, I still haven't finished my similarly-themed prestige class, the Hirotashi Kinu-Tsukai (silk sorcerer, also called a thread mage, puppetmaster, or yao ren), for my Rhunaria homebrew setting. It's primarily meant to be an NPC-oriented prestige class, for scheming peasants or politicians trying to manipulate or subvert and undermine the Hirotashi Empire's government, but since Kinu-Tsukai are usually independant and self-absorbed, some may have apprentices who are not privy to the general plans of the majority of puppetmasters.

The only stuff I have definitely finished for it so far are the prerequisites, basic stats, and advancement chart. They use minor arcane tricks to animate and control both peoples and objects, but especially to animate, strengthen, enhance, and modify threads or needles.

[sblock]Hit Dice: D6
Alignment: Any chaotic
Prerequisites: Must have spent at least a year straight in the Hirotashi Empire training in the arts of this prestige class with someone who already has this prestige class; BAB +3 or greater; Craft (tailoring) 8+ ranks, Craft (weaving) 8+ ranks, Heal 3+ ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 5+ ranks, Perform (at least one of the following: acting, kabuki, or Noh; plus either acrobatics or dance; plus puppeteering) 3+ ranks, Use Rope 3+ ranks; must be proficient in the dagger, dart, and whip; Alertness, Skill Focus (Craft - Weaving), Weapon Focus (either the dagger, dart, mighty whip, mighty whip dagger, shuriken, whip, or whip dagger)
Skill Points Per Level: 6 + Int Mod
Weapon And Armor Proficiencies: A Hirotashi Kinu-Tsukai gains proficiency in the garrote, light lance, mighty whip, mighty whip dagger, net, shuriken, and whip dagger, as well as proficiency in all light armors.
Class...Base......Fort....Ref.....Will.....Special
Level...Attack...Save...Save...Save...Abilities

1........+0.........+0......+2......+2.......Innocuous Weaponry, Patch, Animate Thread
2........+1.........+0......+3......+3.......Bonus Feat, Knit Flesh, Poison Use
3........+2.........+1......+3......+3.......Greater Animation, Thread Net, Weave Magic
4........+3.........+1......+4......+4.......Secret Threads, Lancet Needle
5........+3.........+1......+4......+4.......Puppet Master, Mending Stitch
6........+4.........+2......+5......+5.......Razor Threads, Threadwalker
7........+5.........+2......+5......+5.......Superior Animation, Shifting Needle
8........+6.........+2......+6......+6.......Bonus Feat, Weave Manikin, Greater Weave
9........+6.........+3......+6......+6.......Threads Of Unmaking, Arcane Needle
10......+7.........+3......+7......+7.......Expert Puppet Master, Arcane Threads[/sblock]

I would go with either Artificer as the base class and focus on creating Golems.
Snag the "Golemcraft 101" pdf by Scott Carter {Available in the EnWorld Store}.
This pdf covers almost all the golem modification good stuff and includes a Doll Golem write up.

Then, throw in a new meta-magic feat tree for the Puppet Master:

Puppet Master: You may invest a created golum with a spark of life force. This act causes 1 point of CON drain. The golem gains an INT of 10 and a personality that closely matches its creators at the time of creation.

Companion Golem: Prereq Puppet Master, Caster Level 3. Designate one of your created golems. You treat this golem as if it were a druidic Animal Companion. If this golem is destroyed, you can redesignate a companion through a 24 hour long ritual.

Adventuring Golems: Prereq Puppet Master, Caster Level 6. Designate a number of created golems up to your CHR modifier. These golems gain XP as cohorts while adventuring with you.

Eh, not bad for off the top of my head :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads