• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Puppet Masters....

Darthbelch

First Post
Just looking over teh ablility score distribution...I need a way to fix that. Could say, the puppet has base scores of all 10, and for every HD or point of con, the puppet master could increase the skills to his choice?

Arrellion

Explorer
There was a Golem called a Carrionette that may be helpful, as well as a Doll one.
Unfortunately I do not know which books they are in or even if they have been updated
to 3.5.

Maybe someon else can shed some light on this?

Later,

Arrel

Darthbelch

First Post
Just thought I'd bump this up...no one really said anything about what I had completed on it, and I know its horrible, but eh..yea. So....what do you guys think?

I am not sold... but then I prefer to use current rules whenever possible.

Thinking a bit more on it, and looking at the abilities you have, I would revise my above post to have this sort of Feat Tree..

Puppet Master feats can be taken as Bonus Metamagic feats. The character also needs to take Craft Construct, the earliest of which this is availble is a 6th level wizard. These feats can be taken prior to taking Craft Construct but cannot be used for anything. Alternatively you could allow Craft Wonderous Item to create Homunculi of 0.5 HD of Tiny size.

Feat: Puppet Acolyte {Puppet Master}
When creating Puppet* you can invest 1 point of Con to instill the 'spark of life'. The created Homunculi gains an INT of 10 and is considered to be your familiar. You may only invest into a Puppet with HD equal to the number of Puppet Master feats you have.
You permanantly lose 2 hit points. If the Puppet is destroyed the point of Con is returned and the caster becomes Fatigued.
When calculating the Homunculi's abilities, refer to the Familiar class feature. The bonus HPs due to being a construct are added to the base of 1/2 the masters HPs. All Puppet Master abilities only work while the Familier is within 1 mile of the caster.
If the Master dies, the Puppet loses all the special ablities of being a Familiar but retains the portion of the soul and becomes a Living Construct.

* Puppets are defined as Constucts that are at least 2 sizes smaller than the creator and of less than 5 HD. They are created with a Craft (Puppet) DC 11+ HD of the Puppet. Generally Puppets are created out of wood.

Feat: Puppet Tradesman {Puppet Master}
Prereq: Puppet Acolyte
You gain a telepathic link with your Puppet Familiar. As a full round action you can perceive through its senses. While you are viewing through the familiar, you are considered deaf and blind with regards to your own body.

Feat: Puppet Expert {Puppet Master}
Prereq: Puppet Tradesman
Your Puppet abilities as a familiar are treated as if you had 3 additional caster levels.

Feat: Puppet Maestro {Puppet Master}
Prereq: Puppet Expert
You gain the ability to possess your Puppet Familiar. The possesion takes a Full Round Action to initiate and recover from. While possessing the Familiar the casters body is helpless. The caster can act, cast, and otherwise be nasty through the Familiars body as if it were his own.
You gain the ablity to sever the link with your puppet. In an hour long ritual, you permanently lose the invested point of CON. The Puppet becomes a free willed Living Construct just as if you had died.

In this manner a normal class can be used, the investment is pretty hefty but the end result is a character who can channel into a 4HD Construct. A truely focused character could acheive this by 12th level Wizard, allowing him to work through a pretty sustainable force.
{4HD, good saves, decent HPs, and a SR of 20 :) }
If you use the GolemCraft 101, this can result is a decent class. Various flavours can be attained by different casting classes and multi-class abilities. Notice there are no caster level requirements, but the bonus ablities are mostly tied to caster level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads