D&D 5E Pure Blaster Sorcerer?

Thunder Brother

God Learner
Yeah? Did you use “single target d10s based on the dmg table” as the default, and then lose die sizes, range, or number of dice to add other effects?
Damage was primarily restricted to just cold, fire, and lightning. I thought about adding acid, poison, and thunder but they didn't really feel right. Same with necrotic and radiant, which probably could operate under their own spellcrafting rules.

For additional effects depending on damage type, I was thinking fire would just be raw damage, cold would slow (10 or 15 feet), and lightning would prevent the use of reactions. Obviously the additional effects would come at the cost of damage, maybe a dice size.

FormInitial Spell LevelDamageRange/Effect
BoltCantrip1d8120 feet
TouchCantrip1d10Touch
Cone1st2d615-foot cone
Beam2nd4d660 foot line
Ball3rd6d620 foot radius sphere
Wall4th6d10Standard magic wall*
Storm5th8d640 foot radius sphere, 1 minute duration

I based the damage on what is presented in the DMG, each form is based on the destruction spells in Skyrim crossed with the basic spells in 5e. So ideally it would end up as a generic system. Full upcasting support, even for cantrips, because this system would probably work well with a spell point system.

Obviously none of this was tested, I haven't really thought about it for over a month.

Horwath

Legend
D6 per spell slot for AoE and d10 for single target per spell level is beyond bad.

3d6/level single target and 2d6/level for 30ft radius is worth a spell slot.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Damage was primarily restricted to just cold, fire, and lightning. I thought about adding acid, poison, and thunder but they didn't really feel right. Same with necrotic and radiant, which probably could operate under their own spellcrafting rules.

For additional effects depending on damage type, I was thinking fire would just be raw damage, cold would slow (10 or 15 feet), and lightning would prevent the use of reactions. Obviously the additional effects would come at the cost of damage, maybe a dice size.

FormInitial Spell LevelDamageRange/Effect
BoltCantrip1d8120 feet
TouchCantrip1d10Touch
Cone1st2d615-foot cone
Beam2nd4d660 foot line
Ball3rd6d620 foot radius sphere
Wall4th6d10Standard magic wall*
Storm5th8d640 foot radius sphere, 1 minute duration

I based the damage on what is presented in the DMG, each form is based on the destruction spells in Skyrim crossed with the basic spells in 5e. So ideally it would end up as a generic system. Full upcasting support, even for cantrips, because this system would probably work well with a spell point system.

Obviously none of this was tested, I haven't really thought about it for over a month.
Sounds good.
D6 per spell slot for AoE and d10 for single target per spell level is beyond bad.

3d6/level single target and 2d6/level for 30ft radius is worth a spell slot.
You may be unfamiliar with the DMG table. It isn’t 1d10 per spell level, it’s d10s for single target, d6s for AoE. Level one, IIRC, is 2 dice.

doctorbadwolf

Plus it jumps at a few points, similar to the Spell Point jumps. If you put this on top of normal cantrip scaling, you'd get some nice damage efficiency at high levels.
Oh yeah. And honestly, pure damage isn't worth as much as a lot of the other stuff spells do (boggles the mind that some people only use spell slots to smite with paladins), so that amount of damage wouldn't even challenge the game's balance. It'd be a good option, but you'd still often choose to cast a normal spell instead.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There is no point to it. Just make it a spell.
This is entirely correct. It requires no rewrite greater than "The sorcerer gets X as bonus spell(s)" and adding a new spell. We have upcasting to make the higher level slots do more.

All the cantrip talk is interesting for a new class, but since 5e rules can already deal with this nicely it's a needlessly complicated one for this particular instance.

doctorbadwolf

This is entirely correct. It requires no rewrite greater than "The sorcerer gets X as bonus spell(s)" and adding a new spell. We have upcasting to make the higher level slots do more.

All the cantrip talk is interesting for a new class, but since 5e rules can already deal with this nicely it's a needlessly complicated one for this particular instance.
Okay. Feel free to not participate, then.

doctorbadwolf

So, this is the framework that makes sense to me:

Cantrip-smite: This is a really easy metamagic option. Costs 1 SP per spell damage level. This is the simpler option, but I would also add 1-2 elemental blast cantrips to the class that does a 15 cone of elemental damage.

Your extra damage is the same as the damage of the cantrip, and you can add damage by the spell level damage table. Each of the following drop damage by one step. (d10-d8-d6-d4)

Increase range, increase are of effect, add a secondary effect, change damage type.

Secondary effects: Fire sets creatures and objects on fire, cold drops speed by 10ft, lightning takes your reaction away, thunder pushes you 10ft back.

Can be used with other Metamagic. So, you could Lightning Lure 2 people, and hit them with 2d8 extra lightning and they can't take reactions until the start of your next turn, using Twin and Smite, for 2 SP.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay. Feel free to not participate, then.
Your original message doesn't require anything to be a Cantrip, it asks for various options. But discuss doing it in a less intrusive way that has already been mentioned on the thread and you are dis-inviting me? For pointing out that it can be done in a more seemless way?

Okay, you've got your One True Way to solve this, please make sure everyone knows you're not looking for any workable solutions that might be better if they don't match.

doctorbadwolf

Your original message doesn't require anything to be a Cantrip, it asks for various options. But discuss doing it in a less intrusive way that has already been mentioned on the thread and you are dis-inviting me? For pointing out that it can be done in a more seemless way?

Okay, you've got your One True Way to solve this, please make sure everyone knows you're not looking for any workable solutions that might be better if they don't match.
No, your comment came across as “this isn’t worth doing”, not “here is another way to do this”.

Remove ads