Puzzle ideas

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Here's one that I thought of a while ago. It's a puzzle door made by the Drow (or whoever). There's a big door with a lock on it, and four hooks with keys. A sign says "the true key is that which is greater than Lolth" (or whoever). The first key is copper and hot (fire), the second key is silver and cold (ice), the third key is made of stone (earth), and the fourth key is missing.

[sblock]The answer, of course, is option #4: nothing is greater than Lolth! The door is not locked. Using any of the keys will cause the door to open to a false destination.[/sblock]

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Games are puzzles when you attempt to discern how they operate. Strategists? Character optimizers? Hard core puzzle solvers.

I'm guessing you are looking for puzzles that are connected to the game play as the sorts of challenges for the players separate from their other explorations. A sphinx with a riddle or doors that only tell the truth or lies.

Skipping over the more or less character situation and combat play puzzles, setting up an environment that challenges the players to think out potential outcomes means having some creation rules for the world. Gravity affects the movement of solids, liquids, and gases and an environment largely in equilibrium results from this. Your starting situation as well as projected scenario timeline is how the world will operate barring interference from the PCs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is one King of D&D puzzles, and his name is Johnathan M. Richards. He wrote all the Challenge of Champions adventures, and Gorgoldand's Gauntlet, and I think a couple others. He's a GENIUS of writing puzzles for D&D. Check out any of those, and you won't be sorry. Some are available free on the net. Like, for example, here.

There are more than this list, but here is a partial list:
Dungeon #58: Challenge of Champions
Dungeon #69: Challenge of Champions II
Dungeon #80: Challenge of Champions III
Dungeon #91: Challenge of Champions IV
Dungeon #108: Challenge of Champions V
Dungeon #138: Challenge of Champions VI

He also wrote Challenge of the Champions VII, but as far as I know it hasn't been published yet. Maybe for D&D Next?

Last edited:

Remove ads