TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Eternalknight said:

Did you ever think of doing much on Australian Aboriginie mythology? It seems to be a greatly untapped resource in RPG's.

while i am much impressed with the Australian Aboriginies, and also with the Bushmen of Africs, I never contemplated adding them to the mix simply because their cultures are so far from those used as bases for the milieux of Oerth adventuring. The amount of work necessary to establish the groundwork for play therein would be rather daunting, bith for the author and the DM utilizing the material. It would be a simpler matter to manage it for the LA game system, but for D&D I can foresee all manner of lengthy additions to the rules being necessary. BTW, by D&D, I am speaking broadly, and mean AD&D as well.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tleilaxu said:
hello!

what foreign countries have you been to?

I have been to about 40 of the US states, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and Morocco. Still a whole lot of this world I need to visit;)

Cheers,
Gary

Eternalknight

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

while i am much impressed with the Australian Aboriginies, and also with the Bushmen of Africs, I never contemplated adding them to the mix simply because their cultures are so far from those used as bases for the milieux of Oerth adventuring. The amount of work necessary to establish the groundwork for play therein would be rather daunting, bith for the author and the DM utilizing the material. It would be a simpler matter to manage it for the LA game system, but for D&D I can foresee all manner of lengthy additions to the rules being necessary. BTW, by D&D, I am speaking broadly, and mean AD&D as well.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks for answering Gary :) So, then, when are you coming to Australia? :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Alzrius said:
If I'm asking a question that has been asked before, feel free to brush me aside: I keep meaning to read through the older threads of your Q&A, but never seem to get around to it.

What did you think of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms when you saw it, compared to your own World of Greyhawk?

When Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms hit I never got around to examining it as a world setting. Had it been published while I was still active in TSR management it would have been a different story, of course. As it happened, though, I was already involved with conceptualization of a new RPG system, so I didn't spend time with others' creative work.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Eternalknight said:

Thanks for answering Gary :) So, then, when are you coming to Australia? :D

Funny you should mention that!

I've wanted to take a trip to Australia for many years now, but it's a long way and expensive trip to boot. (Fact is I hate flying--long, boring, and I can't even smoke on planes any more.) anyway, I hope to make it down under one day, travel the breadth of the continent...wine in the West, sunny beaches on the East, and lost of sand in the middle, eh?

Cheers,
Gary

BigBastard

First Post
MerricB said:

The only game supplement I know of dealing with Australia is a supplement for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/After the Bomb by Palladium. Weird, eh?

Actually, I can possibly think of one or two others...

Cheers!

Fantasy Games Unlimited did two books for Aftermath! which were set in Sydney I think. It was set hundred years after a plague took out much of the worlds population. The characters survived due to the fact they were members of a scientific study in cryogenics experiment.:D Great campaign setting.

BigBastard

First Post
Gary, there has been a discussion in this forum dealing the cost of game books. As a former game publisher what are your views on this subject. I would also like to know your stance on those who are copying still in print gamebooks and distributing them for free on the internet?:( How do you feel this is effecting the hobby in general? Thank you Gary.

Eternalknight

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Funny you should mention that!

I've wanted to take a trip to Australia for many years now, but it's a long way and expensive trip to boot. (Fact is I hate flying--long, boring, and I can't even smoke on planes any more.) anyway, I hope to make it down under one day, travel the breadth of the continent...wine in the West, sunny beaches on the East, and lost of sand in the middle, eh?

Cheers,
Gary

That just about some up Australia alright :D I'll have a cold beer waiting here for you (hec, it's the least I can do for the man who has given me years of entertainment!)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BigBastard said:
Gary, there has been a discussion in this forum dealing the cost of game books. As a former game publisher what are your views on this subject.

The vast majority of game publisherds make a thin living at best. Because they do not have the economy of scale that a large company, WotC, for example, has, they need to have seemingly high proces on products that are of high quality.

Consumers need to remember that the publsisher gets only about 40% of cost of a product, and from that all costs and operating expenses must be paid. Thus it's about 99% certain that the price charged is barely enough to keep the company in operation, pay the authors, artists, editors, and other persons needed to produce the work;)

I would also like to know your stance on those who are copying still in print gamebooks and distributing them for free on the internet?:( How do you feel this is effecting the hobby in general? Thank you Gary.

What you describe is theft, pure and simple. It is criminal and also subject to civil penalties. Those stealing thus should be prosecuted by the owners of the IP being stolen, sued civally. Hopefully the thieves will end up having to pay legal costs for the plaintiffs, triple damages, and punative damages in top of that.

Stealing alwyas hurts others. In the case cited it hurts toe publisher and those who derrive income from that operation. It also harms all those who sell the stolen product--game distributors and shop owners. It also harms the end users who are honest, those gamers who refuse to accept stolen property. Such theft adds to the cost of game products and discourages the creation of new product.

Some perry thieves feel they are justified in stealing from big companies--film studios and record producers. that's wroing, of course. To do the same to small game publishers is absolutley impossible to rationalize. for they are not rich, and such theft might actually drive them out of business.

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Eternalknight said:

That just about some up Australia alright :D I'll have a cold beer waiting here for you (hec, it's the least I can do for the man who has given me years of entertainment!)

Heh, and oaky! I enjoy a good beer, and I don't like winter here in Wisconsin. I always thought it would be great to spend six months--October through March in Australia to escape this place;) Maybe next year...

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads