TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Larcen said:
Alright, its the weekend and I finally have some time to ask more questions, if you be so willing. I still can't believe that we have THE Gygax "on tap" here so to speak. :cool:

Without further ado:

1) One of the things I love about D&D is the brilliant cosmology of planes. How did you come up with all the cool planes (inner, outer, etc.) and how they interact with each other? How much of this was based on your readings into such matters?

2) How do you pronounce Gygax, Ioun, Iuz, Tarrasque, Lich, and Tiamat? I pronounce them GUY-gax, Yoon, Yuz, tar-ASK, litch, and TEE-a-matt.

3) How did the Simpsons episode that you were in come about and how much say did you have in the show's content? What other film appearances have you made?

4) What were Mordy's favorite AD&D combat spells and tactics especially in the REALLY tough fights?

5) What the best way to get a group of stubborn set-in-their-ways players to try a new game like LA? Our group hasn't played anything but D&D in over 20 years. (Not that that is a BAD thing. ;) )

Thanks, and do let us know when all these questions start to become a chore, ok? :eek:

The guys who play here regularly whish I would shut up. Familiarity and all that... So to the as to your Qs:

1. The planes sert of developed as a mix of reading and game need. What I did was to take the mythological and fabulous, arrange them to suit the D&D system, and as AD&D was developing they sort of gelled into the cosmology shown therein. In all it was a great facilitator for creatures and beings form outside the material.

2. GUY-gax is how my family pronounces the name, but in proper Swiss it is pronounced GHE-gox. As for Ioun, I say Eeun but Yoon sounds fine, and so too Eeuse, but Yuz is okay, We almost agree on the pronunciation of Terrasque--err-ASK TO YOUR tar-ASK, WE HARMONIZE ON litch (many prefer lick), and Tiamat as TEE-a-matt.

3. the show contacted me, sent the preliminary scropt, and I was delighted. Of course I asked for a bigger role, more than minumum, and other foolishness in joking with David X. Cohen, a former D&Der and DM :D It was great fun working with him even over a clean phone line. Naturally I urged them to fly me out to their location in California, bus alas, that too was to no avail ;)

4. Mordenkainen always had a fair stock of magic missile, fire ball, and lightning bolt spells to go with ice storm, cone of cold, cloudkill, death spell, and power word stun (later on) Evard's black tentacles was another oft-used casting. Dropping a cloudkill spell around his party and advancing on loe-level monsters was a lot of fun. Of course depending on intelligence he would alter the usual. Mordie had some pretty extensive spell books, of course, and he and Bigby exchanged spells to broaden their repertories.

5. Getting grognards to try something new is really difficult. What I have heard from a couple of other DMs is that they prepared their groups beforehand by saying we are going to try one session of the naw system--if you like it we'll play it maybe once a month as a change of pace. One such group had a holdout who refused to play, came to the session to watch and criticize. He ended up doing a lot of roleplayng, liked the LA game more than the rest, and allowed it was okay...after OAD&D.

Welcome, and I'll holler when I need to cut back on posts. I do have a couple of likely new projects pending, and they'll need attention soon if I undertake either. Both will mean a really busy fall and winter, which ain't bad in many respects, as I hate winter, and that'll make the time pass swiftly.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Draco Argentum said:

Its actually on my to by list but I haven't seen it in my local store.

Thanks for the answer.:)

As a member of B.A.D.D. it is virtually obligatory for you to acquire the SLAYER'S GUIDE TO DRAGONS. Funny name for the book, as it is really more a Dragons Guide to PC Slaying :eek:

The man exception is the (somewhat truncated) adventure, that meant for the DM to give his players a chance to kick some dragon butt--if they are very good.

Cheerio,
Gary

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Heh...

Hi Gary,

Well, as long as your answering the question elsewhere...

What's your opinion about the Book of Vile Darkness?

:D

(Sorry, just felt the subject would benefit a broader audience than it has now...)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Heh...

JohnRTroy said:
Hi Gary,

Well, as long as your answering the question elsewhere...

What's your opinion about the Book of Vile Darkness?

:D

(Sorry, just felt the subject would benefit a broader audience than it has now...)

On no you don't JRT! Eric has already locked up a thread of mine where I siad my initial say about the matter. As long as everyone's having a good time here, I'll shun that topic as if it were a ill-advised gaming product!

Ciao,
Gary

sotterraneo

First Post
Re: Re: Heh...

Mr. Gygax, as various other people here I too want to thank you for the wonderful experiences given to me by the D&D game: not only long lasting friends, countless hours of fun and doing exciting 8-] things as tournament and convention organizing, but my career choice too. No, I'm not a publisher or an author (unless you consider translations as being an author...), I'm a games retailer here in Italy - perhaps not a flashy job as designing, writing or publishing but without us, no gaming industry... 8-]

I had the pleasure and honor to meet you in person, along many Italian fans, during an Italian convention (I think in '98) in Modena, the city of Ferrari cars. I had imagined you different but, hey, the latest photos of you I had seen were 15 years old. Anyway, the D&D Basic Set and D&D The Keep on the Borderlands adventure you autographed for me are still a priceless treasure of my collection (right along the Orange B3 module 8-]).

A couple of questions:

1) Time and engagements of yours permitting, is there any chance to see you again in Italy or in a 'reacheable' country such as France, UK or Germany? Would you accept an invitation from an Italian convention?

2) Why TSR, Inc. killed the D&D game and devoted all the efforts to AD&D? It was a VERY bad move here and many fans, like me, simply never felt to 'move' or 'evolve' to AD&D - we kept playing D&D and started to buy other products because there was nothing more for us from TSR, Inc.

Thank you so much for almost 20 years of gaming. It was worth it!

Ciro Alessandro Sacco
Brescia - Italy

Vocenoctum

First Post
Thanks for the answers, here's an easy one waiting for a Gygaxian answer. :)

How do you think the 3e bard compares with the 1e bard? Why did the original bard require Rogue? Any thoughts to reinventing it as it was for 3e?

Thanks again!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Heh...

sotterraneo said:
Mr. Gygax, as various other people here I too want to thank you for the wonderful experiences given to me by the D&D game: not only long lasting friends, countless hours of fun and doing exciting 8-] things as tournament and convention organizing, but my career choice too. No, I'm not a publisher or an author (unless you consider translations as being an author...), I'm a games retailer here in Italy - perhaps not a flashy job as designing, writing or publishing but without us, no gaming industry... 8-]

Don't denigrate the position you have, amigo. It is a great one IMO, and you get to relate to gamers a lot and likely play many games as part of your "work" too. An enviable potition;)

I had the pleasure and honor to meet you in person, along many Italian fans, during an Italian convention (I think in '98) in Modena, the city of Ferrari cars. I had imagined you different but, hey, the latest photos of you I had seen were 15 years old. Anyway, the D&D Basic Set and D&D The Keep on the Borderlands adventure you autographed for me are still a priceless treasure of my collection (right along the Orange B3 module 8-]).

I think it was ModCon99, as Alex was with me, had just turned 13 a week or so before we attended. As for looking different, well, that's what time does for you, eh? As for me,I'm just happy to be around still :eek:

A couple of questions:

1) Time and engagements of yours permitting, is there any chance to see you again in Italy or in a 'reacheable' country such as France, UK or Germany? Would you accept an invitation from an Italian convention?

2) Why TSR, Inc. killed the D&D game and devoted all the efforts to AD&D? It was a VERY bad move here and many fans, like me, simply never felt to 'move' or 'evolve' to AD&D - we kept playing D&D and started to buy other products because there was nothing more for us from TSR, Inc.

Thank you so much for almost 20 years of gaming. It was worth it!

Ciro Alessandro Sacco
Brescia - Italy

1) Well, when we were in Italy, Alex said: "The food here is great, all the gamers are friendly, and the girls are really pretty. We can move here anytime you want to, Dad." So, is Alex has any input, I suspect the answer is a positive one. Fact is, though, I am very busy, and going to cons here in the US or overseas takes about two weeks out of my working time when all is siad and done. Thus Trigee levies a hefty fee on my appearances. I hate travelling--although I love to be in new places--so I generally don't mind not going. The most likely scenario is in regards to the LA MMPO RPG. The developers, Dreams-Interactive, are in Europe. If all goes as planned, arond 2004 we will be in beta test, and then I'll likely by needed over there--Belgium. Once I'm in Europe, well, I have a good friend in France, and I like Germany, Italy, and Spain, enjoy england too...

2) From the larger perspectivem Alessandro, the AD&D game was the best move TSR ever made. Sales jumped incredily when it was released, and I do believe that even 3E has not met the volume that those originalbooks attained--could be wrong there, but... Anyway, I do agree with you that it was a mistake for TSR not to cntinue to support the D&D game line too. I urged that we do so, but that advice was ignored.

You are most welcome--I've had a great time creating and playing games, so the whole is mutual.

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Vocenoctum said:
Thanks for the answers, here's an easy one waiting for a Gygaxian answer. :)

How do you think the 3e bard compares with the 1e bard? Why did the original bard require Rogue? Any thoughts to reinventing it as it was for 3e?

Thanks again!

Well darn! It isn'tas easy a query as you suggest. The only way I could give an intelligent response is to have played the 3E bard for several adventures, comparing and contrasting it with the original version. That I have not had opportunity to do.

By "Rogue" above I assume you actually mean "thief" ;) I included that as most fictional treatments of bard-like characters were roguish, engaged in some nefarious activity such as stealing.

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads