TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Seeten

First Post
I'd also like to say thank you for 20+ years of enjoyment. Your pioneering has provided myself and my friends countless hours of enjoyment, and our wives with countless hours of freedom.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Virel

First Post
Wanting a FM multiclas then to go cleric...

I would like to mention to the poster that said they had a player wanting to play an elven fighter/magic user mulitclass character that then switches to cleric that Gary has in fact addressed a way to play this sort of character in UA and UA's errata. The errata was in Dragon 103.

There is character and allowed class/multi-class list that on DM's option that an elf to be Fighter/Cleric/Magic User, triple class. This should allow your player to have the character he or she wants and still stay true to the rules as written if you wish.

I keep a copy of the errata taped in my worn copy of UA just for those sort of questions and ideas that players come up with from time to time.
 
Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Frost said:
Amen.

For my group, the only story telling comes after the game.... "Man, do you remember when we fought those Frost Giants? I can't believe you fired a ballista at them." ;)

Correct. The RPG is a mix of many elements, some or all of which can be featured in a play session. What the RPG is not is an exercise in story telling or in play acting. those can be elements of the game form, but they are not the critical ones. Stressing either is likely to direct player actions or prevent enjoyment for all participants. A complete ficus on either removes the pastime from the RPG classification to some other type of game.

Cheers,
Gary
 

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Akrasia said:
And I'll be delighted when I finally get it in my greedy paws... :D

What is the progress on the other books in the Zagyg series, Colonel?

I trust you won't be disappointed... (hope, is perhaops a better work.)

Rob has finished his add on module, but i have not been up to doing the work needed to create the upper works of the castle proper, let alone the dungeon levels below them :( When my oldest friend died in late November, it was quite a setback for me.

Anyway, I am feeling a good deal better if late, and I will attempt real creative work as soon as I feel up to it--likely March.

Cheers,
Gary
 

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Seeten said:
I'd also like to say thank you for 20+ years of enjoyment. Your pioneering has provided myself and my friends countless hours of enjoyment, and our wives with countless hours of freedom.

LOL!

Cheerio,
Gary
 

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Virel said:
I would like to mention to the poster that said they had a player wanting to play an elven fighter/magic user mulitclass character that then switches to cleric that Gary has in fact addressed a way to play this sort of character in UA and UA's errata. The errata was in Dragon 103.

There is character and allowed class/multi-class list that on DM's option that an elf to be Fighter/Cleric/Magic User, triple class. This should allow your player to have the character he or she wants and still stay true to the rules as written if you wish.

I keep a copy of the errata taped in my worn copy of UA just for those sort of questions and ideas that players come up with from time to time.

Well shucks!

I had totaly forgotten about that. thanks for passing along the information :cool:

Regards,
Gary
 

Not only that, but a character can be religious in a game with out being a cleric. Many character I have played, and Dmed have be religious in the game, but they weren't cleric. If we are looking at it for the story the character can spend all the time he wants teaching preaching and exalting his charters god all with out having to have the cleric class.
Ken

Virel said:
I would like to mention to the poster that said they had a player wanting to play an elven fighter/magic user mulitclass character that then switches to cleric that Gary has in fact addressed a way to play this sort of character in UA and UA's errata. The errata was in Dragon 103.

There is character and allowed class/multi-class list that on DM's option that an elf to be Fighter/Cleric/Magic User, triple class. This should allow your player to have the character he or she wants and still stay true to the rules as written if you wish.

I keep a copy of the errata taped in my worn copy of UA just for those sort of questions and ideas that players come up with from time to time.
 

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
I trust you won't be disappointed...

Anyway, I am feeling a good deal better if late, and I will attempt real creative work as soon as I feel up to it--likely March.

*Henry pops out the Resurrection Scroll*

We've waited this long. And this is an AD&D scroll too, Buster - no refusing to come back for you! :)





Seriously, I hope all goes well.
 

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
*Henry pops out the Resurrection Scroll*

We've waited this long. And this is an AD&D scroll too, Buster - no refusing to come back for you! :)

Seriously, I hope all goes well.

Heh...

I am caught like a vampire, and being resurrected thus will make me vulnerable to the creative work demon :eek:

Seriously, I too am hoping that I'll have the stamina I never truly appreciated before, as i have generally had to put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to create adventure scenario material.

cheers,
Gary
 

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joseph Elric Smith said:
Not only that, but a character can be religious in a game with out being a cleric. Many character I have played, and Dmed have be religious in the game, but they weren't cleric. If we are looking at it for the story the character can spend all the time he wants teaching preaching and exalting his charters god all with out having to have the cleric class.
Ken

Quite true.

While a paladin PC springs to mind, any character class will serve, and some, such as a thief or assassin, would demand some truly awesome roleplay to carry off the matter;)

cheers,
Gary
 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top