TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
You aren't going to have much positive response from the audience for new D&D I fear :\

Well as someone who likes the new rules, I have to say those who'd complain haven't read the rules very well. The very first thing in the PHB (unless they changed it in the revision) is Rule 0: "Check with your Dungeon Master. Your Dungeon Master (DM) may have house rules or campaign standards that vary from the standard rules." As a DM I rather liberally interpret that rule to shoot down all rules lawyer protests.

IMO, I don't think it really matters which rules a group uses, if the DM is competant and fair. By fair I mean not just a DM who goes out of his way to kill PCs off, but also one who tries to make sure they're challenged as well, since it's not fair (or really fun) for the PCs to easy victories all the time.

grodog

Hero
Steverooo said:
So much for his entry in the 1e Rogue's Gallery, then! ;-p

Heh. Robilar's Rogues Gallery entry doesn't mention him being a ranger, unless you have a different version of the RG than I do, Steve ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Col_Pladoh said:
I'm there, dude!
There's that "dude" again! Next thing we know, you'll be rockin' it out with Metallica or something. :cool:

Well, Gary, I don't like to ask a lot of questions about the origins of D&D. I like to read the stuff and get its flavor, but I get the impression that that's what everyone asks you. So I like to ask you different stuff, like when I asked you about your favorite cuisine.

Anyway, I have an Origin of D&D question now. Nowadays, there's d20 Modern, d20 Future, et cetera. I don't keep up with all the different varieties. My question is this: How much of this did you think of at the beginning? When you made OAD&D, did you think, "Oh, we could make modern-day or futuristic classes too and have a different setting!"? Did you make plans for that sort of thing or were you trying to keep it fantasy-only?

Beckett

Explorer
A question on past adventures; I'm preparing to run Temple of Elemental Evil for my group (the campaign starts this Saturday). In the introduction, you mention a willingness to share the tale of how your group did in the adventure.

Now, I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to handle this monster of a module, but I'd love to hear some stories of how the original group fared (and yes, I know you also say to ask you at a con, but with expenses, I don't think I'll be making it to one anytime soon, so I hoped these forums might suffice).

Game designing question here, relevant to AD&D...

Say I wanted to emulate the 'child of destiny' archetype, would it be effective to have such a character start ridiculously weak, but grow quickly in power (shorter needs of experience) and abilities (class features)? On the opposite side, what about a 'veteran hero in decline', someone who is initially very powerful but nary develops in power or ability (greater needs of experience and fewer class features)? Are these viable (if not, effective) ways of going about this?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ferox4 said:
They can wag their tongues ad infinitum, it won't sway me from the fact that this game was designed to be played any way a group sees fit. There are no rules, there are only guidelines, and, moreover,
Cheers, and many thanks for all the fun I've had playing this wonderful game.
Some gamers want more structure than others. We can't fault that ;)

Thank you for the good words,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
There's that "dude" again! Next thing we know, you'll be rockin' it out with Metallica or something. :cool:
I'm down with that...

Well, Gary, I don't like to ask a lot of questions about the origins of D&D. I like to read the stuff and get its flavor, but I get the impression that that's what everyone asks you. So I like to ask you different stuff, like when I asked you about your favorite cuisine.
Heh, and as with questions about my favorite book, the answer was general and lengthy :lol:

Anyway, I have an Origin of D&D question now. Nowadays, there's d20 Modern, d20 Future, et cetera. I don't keep up with all the different varieties. My question is this: How much of this did you think of at the beginning? When you made OAD&D, did you think, "Oh, we could make modern-day or futuristic classes too and have a different setting!"? Did you make plans for that sort of thing or were you trying to keep it fantasy-only?
The fact is I wanted to be able to mix genres--not use the A/D&D rules to play other genres, but means of mixing genres. Thus we had fantasy forces comprised of orcs led by an Evil cleric meeting and fighting with a Nazi anti-partizan company, and fought the battle out on a table top. I had PCs sent to the Starship Warden to tangle with Metamorphosis Alpha characters. No need to go on, you get the idea.

Cheers,
Gart

oldschooler

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Not to interupt the Colonel, but my reading of the original booklets indicated that "D&D" was to be a general RPG (hence the inclusion of John Carter of Mars). Fantasy was just a fun starting point before referees started going nuts with the flying saucers and WWII squads, etc.. Do correct me if I'm being misleading!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Beckett said:
A question on past adventures; I'm preparing to run Temple of Elemental Evil for my group (the campaign starts this Saturday). In the introduction, you mention a willingness to share the tale of how your group did in the adventure.

Now, I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to handle this monster of a module, but I'd love to hear some stories of how the original group fared (and yes, I know you also say to ask you at a con, but with expenses, I don't think I'll be making it to one anytime soon, so I hoped these forums might suffice).
Whoa!

You ask that in direct contravention of what I request in the book...

Fortunately, after more than two decaded have passed since I penned that, most of the details have been forgotten. Were it otherwise, I would be castigating you for expecting me to write a long essay to satisfy your curiosity. Here's what I recall immediately:

After a lot of adventuring fun in Hommlet, and a foray into Nulb, the team went into the ToEE, explored, fought, withdrew, and came back again repeatedly. Robilar went in alone, smashed some magically shut gates with a pillar, and freed Zuggtmoy. Scenario over.

If you would like more details, see me in person at a con when there's a group reminiscing over a few pints of ale. I'm sure I can thus recall a few more details and repeating them will then not be a demand on time and effort :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DeadlyUematsu said:
Game designing question here, relevant to AD&D...

Say I wanted to emulate the 'child of destiny' archetype, would it be effective to have such a character start ridiculously weak, but grow quickly in power (shorter needs of experience) and abilities (class features)? On the opposite side, what about a 'veteran hero in decline', someone who is initially very powerful but nary develops in power or ability (greater needs of experience and fewer class features)? Are these viable (if not, effective) ways of going about this?
Seems to me those are character development questions relevant to a novel, not to the design of a game...

In writing a novel, you need not worry about any "class", simply establish the matter in your background exposition and ongoing revealition of details of the environment, cast of characters, and through dialog mainly insight into their personality, morals, ethics, and motives. comments and character recollections are used in this and sketching out the past history of leading figures in the story.

Finally, the take you have the promising child and fading hero themes is well in hand.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads