TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
People do forget, though, and no game author should consider his name and work "immortal" eh? :uhoh:

Sad a fact as it is, I concur with Gary. Most people have no clue who Alessandro Volta is, but people still use 9 and 12 Volt batteries all over the place; there are fewer people today than yesterday who remember The Honeymooners, but the concept of the SitCom is still alive and well. Just part of the maturity of the hobby, I guess. :(

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
Sad a fact as it is, I concur with Gary. Most people have no clue who Alessandro Volta is, but people still use 9 and 12 Volt batteries all over the place; there are fewer people today than yesterday who remember The Honeymooners, but the concept of the SitCom is still alive and well. Just part of the maturity of the hobby, I guess. :(
Hi Henry,

There are a few "giants" in history, those whose names come down to over the centuries. Some are remembered for the evil they did, some for the good, some for their contribution to the world. We can all name a dozen or two out of the billions of persons who have lived and died on this earth. Nothing to do with a hobby or game is likely ro make the cut :uhoh:

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Anabstercorian said:
Speaking of "Immortal", what's your opinion of the OD&D Immortals Handbook?
an interesting concept for those who are seeking very high level play. As a DM I was not prepered to present such a campaign, but I have played in an OAD&D one where PCs of around 12th level were mere striplings. The DM was Francois Marcela Froideval, and he did an excellent job of it, so that I to wanted to move my character up to the mid-level ranks in his campaign...say around 34th :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Seeten

First Post
Here here.

I still have my 1e DMG, with the Efreet on the cover. Got it at the ripe old age of 6, and have it still.

Long shall live the name, "Gygax".

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Seeten said:
Here here.

I still have my 1e DMG, with the Efreet on the cover. Got it at the ripe old age of 6, and have it still.

Long shall live the name, "Gygax".
Well thanks:)

Seeing as how some D&D buiffs of scentific bent have named a new strain of bacteria they discovered after me, Arthronema gygaxiana, it seems likely the name will be around, if margnally, for some time... :uhoh:

Heh,
Gary

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Good Col, on the question of Gnomes:

I always guessed they where put in so that there would be fewer hobbit, er I mean halfling, PCs ;)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Actually, as a follow, with the people you have gamed with, has there ever been a lot of interest in the smaller demihumans?

There have been a couple of gnome pcs over the last 4-5 years in campaings I have been involved in (don't remember any before that), but overall, the wee folk don't seem to be too popular.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TerraDave said:
Good Col, on the question of Gnomes:

I always guessed they where put in so that there would be fewer hobbit, er I mean halfling, PCs ;)
Heh-heh-heh!

Those hairy-footed midgets have always been more populan decent, hard-working gnomes. What can I say?

:heh:
Gary

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads