TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Ho Zudrak!

I sent off an email about an hour ago adding the material about road care to the entry regarding the Yggsburgh Street Department. No reply as yet.

Darlene is putting on the final touches (my corrections of my own sloppy work) on the town map, so the whole long project is about in the proverbial can, as they say in the motion picture business :uhoh:

Even better, IMO. :) My post was pretty much thinking out loud. :confused:

Now I had better go and check the trolls website, as they didn't mnention the new material to me...

I wonder if Peter will rib you for tinkering with the mss. like he ribbed himself for continually tinkering with his own artwork. ;) You know, for "liberally" adding to CZ. Ha-ha! *ducks*

On a more important topic, how've you been feeling?

gideon_thorne

First Post
I? I rib someone for wishing to persue perfection in their craft? Perish the thought. *assumes angelic pose # 125*

Zudrak said:

I wonder if Peter will rib you for tinkering with the mss. like he ribbed himself for continually tinkering with his own artwork. ;) You know, for "liberally" adding to CZ. Ha-ha! *ducks*

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hi Gary, I was wondering recently about how you handled Material Spell Components in your Greyhawk Campaign. I know some DM's simply ignore them. On the other hand, I seem to recall an article in Dragon some time ago about purchasing them in a "magic store" (a concept I don't particularly like, much like the ever-popular "Mage's Guild", but that's another story ;) ). Personally, I assume that most spell components are covered in the monthly living and level training costs except those that are rather expensive, e.g., diamond powder, gems, etc.; basically anything that the PHB or UA lists as having a (usually exhorbinant) cost.

Did you ignore them? Stick pretty much by the book? Require PC's to role-play their acquisition?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Heh, another Spell-related question, Colonel.

In Uneartherd Arcana you list the value of standard spell books as 500 Experience Points "per spell level contained therein" (p. 79). Does this mean that if a spell book contained 5 first level spells it would be worth 2,500 XP? I assume that's the case, as a scroll with a like number of 1st level spells would be worth 500 XP.

there is no value listed for travelling spell books, however. Would these tomes be worth the same as a standard spell book or, perhaps because of their less sturdy construction, they would be worth a lesser amount of XP.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Sure, and Steve at TLG is up to his butt in production alligators, but what the heck, publishers need some flogging now and again :lol:

He should, as should Darlene who is getting the short end of the stick. I did promise to buy Darlene and her husband Vincent (if you saw the TV show about Nostradumus' 500th birthday anniversary, Vincent appeared therein and did the narration) dinner for all ther bother I have been with my tinkering.

Quite well thank you very much. My main complaint it lack of energy for long-haul projects. After a couple of hours work I get tired and need to kick back and goof off for a like period. I am doing a lot of most enjoyable reading though :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hi Gary, I was wondering recently about how you handled Material Spell Components in your Greyhawk Campaign. I know some DM's simply ignore them. On the other hand, I seem to recall an article in Dragon some time ago about purchasing them in a "magic store" (a concept I don't particularly like, much like the ever-popular "Mage's Guild", but that's another story ;) ). Personally, I assume that most spell components are covered in the monthly living and level training costs except those that are rather expensive, e.g., diamond powder, gems, etc.; basically anything that the PHB or UA lists as having a (usually exhorbinant) cost.

Did you ignore them? Stick pretty much by the book? Require PC's to role-play their acquisition?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser
Ho 'Mouser:)

Spell compinents are rather a niggling consideration for the most part. I do assume that the common sort are acquired easily during non-adventuring time at various shops such as the apothecary's or a spell components dealer--there would be such places in large communities in a magic-active milieu.

As you note, the more costly and difficult to obtain components are meat and drink for special adventures--or a fine way to strip mages of precious treasure so as to have powdered diamond or corrundum gem powder such as sapphire, ruby, etc.

If a group really enjoys shopping and hunting for strange items, the spell components are there for the DM to use as reasons for such play. Otherwise, they can be pretty well a side consideration that needs arise only for special quests.

Cheerio,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Last Spell Book Question (for now...)

OK, here's my final spell book question (of the day). UA states that standard spell books can contain "up to 36 cantrips, 24 spells of 1st-3rd level, up to 16 spells of 4th-6th level, or up to 8 spells of 7th-9th level" (p. 79). Travelling spell books, on the other hand, have the following capacities: "nine cantrips; six spells of 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd level; four spells of 4th, 5th and/or 6th level; or two spells of 7th, 8th and/or 9th level" (p. 79).

Now, does this mean it is possible for a spell book to have spells of various levels in it, or does each spell book have to be dedicated to a specific spell level (like the 1st level spell book a beginning M-U or Illusionist acquires from their master)? Also, if spells of various levels can be contained within a single book do these levels have to be of the groups listed above (i.e., 1st-3rd, 4th-6th, and 7th-9th) or could they be from any level (e.g., a spell book containing spells of all levels from 1st to 9th)? If this last is the case, how would you figure out the number of spells a book can contain given the number/level restrictions?

I know, a complicated question and one that probably has an obvious answer, but this has been bugging me recently as a certain M-U/Thief in my campaign is always on about finding a mage's spell-book (and when he does it's sure to be trapped, perhaps with a Symbol of Death :] ).

Gray Mouser

PS
Oh yeah, did any of the Greyhawk PC's ever find an entire spell book as opposed to just picking up spells form scrolls?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Heh, another Spell-related question, Colonel.

In Uneartherd Arcana you list the value of standard spell books as 500 Experience Points "per spell level contained therein" (p. 79). Does this mean that if a spell book contained 5 first level spells it would be worth 2,500 XP? I assume that's the case, as a scroll with a like number of 1st level spells would be worth 500 XP.

there is no value listed for travelling spell books, however. Would these tomes be worth the same as a standard spell book or, perhaps because of their less sturdy construction, they would be worth a lesser amount of XP.

Gray Mouser
Salut!

Yes, a 1st Level soell book (traveling or not) with five spells in it would bring 2,500 XP to the magic-user gaining it.

I value traveling spell books using the same base as regular ones. All such works are miniaturized and made of very sturdy materials so as to withstand the wear and tear of being caried about on adventures. Of course the number of spells in such smaller volumes will typically be less than the main spell books, so their XP value will be lower.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
OK, here's my final spell book question (of the day). UA states that standard spell books can contain "up to 36 cantrips, 24 spells of 1st-3rd level, up to 16 spells of 4th-6th level, or up to 8 spells of 7th-9th level" (p. 79). Travelling spell books, on the other hand, have the following capacities: "nine cantrips; six spells of 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd level; four spells of 4th, 5th and/or 6th level; or two spells of 7th, 8th and/or 9th level" (p. 79).

Now, does this mean it is possible for a spell book to have spells of various levels in it, or does each spell book have to be dedicated to a specific spell level (like the 1st level spell book a beginning M-U or Illusionist acquires from their master)? Also, if spells of various levels can be contained within a single book do these levels have to be of the groups listed above (i.e., 1st-3rd, 4th-6th, and 7th-9th) or could they be from any level (e.g., a spell book containing spells of all levels from 1st to 9th)? If this last is the case, how would you figure out the number of spells a book can contain given the number/level restrictions?

I know, a complicated question and one that probably has an obvious answer, but this has been bugging me recently as a certain M-U/Thief in my campaign is always on about finding a mage's spell-book (and when he does it's sure to be trapped, perhaps with a Symbol of Death :] ).

Gray Mouser

PS
Oh yeah, did any of the Greyhawk PC's ever find an entire spell book as opposed to just picking up spells form scrolls?

Lengthy query, short reply ;)

There is no reason a mage couldn't have a spell book with varying levels of spells. The mu-thief you mention could indeed find a trapped spell book with a symbol of death--but that would be a device that lessened the number of actual spells the book was able to contain.

Greyhawk Campaign PCs have indeed found both traveling and normal spell books--rarely, but on several occasions.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases