TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Running The Hermit with Lejendary Adventures rules? I wish I could. I don't think I can even order it from my local mail-order place. They don't seem to have it on the catalogue!

Alas, ordering it on-line is not an option at this point. :(

So it'll be 3E, I'm afraid. I'll endeavour to keep the rules out of the way and keep the spirit of the adventure alive, in any case!

Though I'm going to be very interested to see the LA stats in the module. :)

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
LA Game Stats

Hi Merric!

Say, didn't we just meet on the Dragonsfoot boards? Heh...

When you get a look at the LA game material in THE HERMIT, don't blink or you'll miss it. The difference between a fast, rules-light game and one that is at the other pole, of you will :eek:

We have fiir distribution for the LA game in N.A. but elsewhere it is spotty indeed. Wish it were otherwise, but until the audience is larger that's not going to happen. A Catch 22 indeed, but we will manage to get past the hurdle in time ;)

Cheers,
Gary

roytheodd

First Post
First off, I need to thank you Mr. Gygax. For the last 20 years my head has been full of wonder and merriment due to your game. You've given me a gift that allows me to exercise my imagination and to present my findings with friends and to share goodness and joy. Thank you for that.

My question for you, since you're still answering, is what prompted the use of Alignment Languages? I've never read a book, seen a film, or in any other way uncovered a clue as to why you created these. I can understand and appreciate them, but I never did figure out your source for the idea.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
roytheodd said:
First off, I need to thank you Mr. Gygax. For the last 20 years my head has been full of wonder and merriment due to your game. You've given me a gift that allows me to exercise my imagination and to present my findings with friends and to share goodness and joy. Thank you for that.

My question for you, since you're still answering, is what prompted the use of Alignment Languages? I've never read a book, seen a film, or in any other way uncovered a clue as to why you created these. I can understand and appreciate them, but I never did figure out your source for the idea.

Roytheodd, you are welcome, and as I so often say, I've surfe had a lot of fun too.

As for alignment languages, as I worked up the mindsets for the none, it seemed to me that each such groups would have developed their own patoise as a recognition means, more or less like sectrt societies have signs and signals to ID their fellows.

Never did I ensisage characters announcing their moral-ethical (or lack thereof) beliefs and convictions. Rather, the alignment languages were meant to be the means by which one might discover a like-natured individual. Similarly, conveyance of information or general conversation was not contemplated using such "language."

Cheers,
Gary

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Howdy Gary,

I just wanted to be sure that you (and your family) knew about the Chicago Gameday being held at Game Plus on November 9th. There are still some seats available to play in the many games being run and a couple of the prizes being given might be familiar to you and yours (The Hermit and The Lost City of Gaxmor.) Matty Helms, who ran the RPGnet Gameday, will be in attendance again. I'll cross my fingers and hope that you can make it. Thanks! :)

Thread for the full details -

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?threadid=21970

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day, Gary!

Somewhat akin to Masonic greeting rituals?

Cheers!

Well, now that you mention it, yes. I'd have referred to those we use in the Bavarian Illuminati, but no one is to know that we exist, of course...

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Mark,

It's unlikely I'll be making the event unless Chris Clark is attending...or somebody from Lake Geneva is driving down.

Cheerio,
Gary

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi Mark,

It's unlikely I'll be making the event unless Chris Clark is attending...or somebody from Lake Geneva is driving down.

Cheerio,
Gary

Chris is certainly welcome to come, also. If it turns out that you cannot make it down for the games, but have the need or chance to come visit that wonderful store on that day anyway, please do try to stop in around the mid-afternoon break time. I'm sure that everyone would be delighted to see you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads