TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:
Hardby isn't in any of my Greyhawk materials (The Adventure Begins, Player's Guide, Living Greyhawk Gazzateer). In what product can I find Harby?

Elton.
The original 1980s version of the WoG.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hypersmurf said:
The same cannot be said, of course, of all Hardbyites...

-Hyp.
;)

Of course not. I always had plenty of them as most shapely and good looking...if rather domineering and bossy/ think of today;s feminists :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Blair Goatsblood said:
Mr Gygax

What would you be able to tell us about the inspiration and role of troglodytes and lizardmen?
:confused:

Trogs are found in many literary sources--cave or underground dwelling sub-human types. They were added to the encounter mix to provide another and different subterranean peril.

Lizardmen I made up to add to the list of humanoid monsters. They were added to the encounter mix to provide another and different aquatic, marsh, or swamp peril.

Nothing more complex than that :D

Cheers,
Gary

alan

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

JD's cartoon strip, "Fineous Fingers, Fred & Charlie," was a favorite of Dragon Magazine readers for a goodly time. It ended as a feature only because JD stopped doing them.

If you happen to see JD at Origins, please give him my best regards.

Alas, I believe that I did not start receiving Dragon magazine until somewhere in the 40s. Maybe I missed his sting with comics.

Next time I email him, I'll pass on your regards.

Best wishes,
Alan

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
alan said:
Alas, I believe that I did not start receiving Dragon magazine until somewhere in the 40s. Maybe I missed his sting with comics.

Next time I email him, I'll pass on your regards.

Best wishes,
Alan
I do not remember how many strips JD did. By #40 "Phil & Dixie" or "Wormy" might have replaced his strip.

Please do pass on my best to him when you email JD>

Cheers,
Gary

Mr Baron

First Post
Fineous Fingers

That was a great comic. However many he did, it was not enough. My gaming group always looked forward to reading his latest stuff.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mr Baron said:
That was a great comic. However many he did, it was not enough. My gaming group always looked forward to reading his latest stuff.
:lol:

Indeed, JD's cartoon strip was very good...as was Tramp's "Wormy" most of the time. Dave Sutherland's cartoons in the freebie newsletter from TSR were amusing, as were his "Shlump da Orc" ones.

That just goes to show how much talent was at TSR back then, and how the company attracted outside creative [ep[;e as well/

Cheers,
Gary

Sir Elton

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The original 1980s version of the WoG.

Cheers,
Gary

Hmm. Interesting. now which version of Amazons should I use? Conan "I wear a bikini to make you men look stupid!" type? (that's the only type I have anything about). :D

gideon_thorne

First Post
Sir Elton said:
Hmm. Interesting. now which version of Amazons should I use? Conan "I wear a bikini to make you men look stupid!" type? (that's the only type I have anything about). :D

*smiles* The Hercules and Xena series both had useful amazonian inspiration...^_^

Thulcondar

First Post
gideon_thorne said:
*smiles* The Hercules and Xena series both had useful amazonian inspiration...^_^

The Amazons of Greyhawk were well described in "Artifact of Evil" by our own EGG. I found Gord's attitude towards the men of Hardby somewhat interesting; kinda reminded me of the John Norman "men are natural dominants" stuff. But of course that was a reaction to the Hardby "women are natural dominants" attitude, and thus over the top in its own way.

One of the best lessons in life is that the most vocal dominants often make the best subs.

Then again, probably best not to go too far down that particular path...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads