TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
the black knight said:
Hey Gary,

What villains currently haunt your campaigns? Any as memorable as Obmi?

Sincerely,

the black knight
The group of players and the locale of my LA adventures has been in flux so that I have not had a reasonable oppirtunity to ring in a vile antagonist. I have one planned, though, an East Indian-type potentate and his right hand man, a diviner and sorcerer.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tenkar said:
Wow... that was... wow

It might not have been illegal, and it certainly wasn't in the spirit of the rules, but wow...

Reminds me that when I first gamed, we didn't have the MM, so all monster stats came from the back of the DMG... we thought HD and HP were interchangeable. A 4HD +1 HP Ogre always had 5 HP. Dungeons got much tougher, and expo flowed much slower, when we realized this mistake ;)
With a competant DM only that which he declares beyond the pale is illegal ;)

As a matter of fact campaigns were there is al talk and no action are well outside the spirit of the game. Nonetheless, not a few folks really enjoy that sort of play, so it is right for them.

Cheerio,
Gary

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Col_Pladoh said:
With a competant DM only that which he declares beyond the pale is illegal ;)

As a matter of fact campaigns were there is al talk and no action are well outside the spirit of the game. Nonetheless, not a few folks really enjoy that sort of play, so it is right for them.

Cheerio,
Gary

QFT. Run/play the game that fits the participants around the table, damning the rest of the games in existence. Just keep in mind the others are doing the same. :lol:

Personally, I enjoy an occasional game which is vastly different than the games I run or play in. Influx of new ideas or validation of my current techniques are sure to abound. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:

Personally, I enjoy an occasional game which is vastly different than the games I run or play in. Influx of new ideas or validation of my current techniques are sure to abound. :D
You get to play? Whoa, luxury!!!

Seriously, when i get to play in Jim Ward's MA game it is refreshing from two standpoints, not having to be the GM and being immersed in fantasy with some science intermixed :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Odnasept

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Seriously, when i get to play in Jim Ward's MA game it is refreshing from two standpoints, not having to be the GM and being immersed in fantasy with some science intermixed :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

That does sound quite refreshing; I also am used to being the DM almost exclusively (and thankfully have learned much about the vocation since I was 14 (although thankfully the Michelle's Chaos Wind necklace was charmed off of Merlin before it ran out of charges)), and fantasy campaigns with some degree of science/technology are my favourite kind.

I do however find that when running such a campaign maintaining balance may be compared to the proverbial tightrope walk, and is proportionately more difficult the higher the level of science permitted. Science in this case is as opposed to 'magic technology', wherein devices are powered or operated by a magical source and thus generally require a character versed in such things to operate. I wonder what level of science is employed by Jim Ward and how prevalent/available it is.

I also wish to thank you for your wise and timely response; it is an honour to be so acknowledged by the creator of the game!

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Col_Pladoh said:

Cheers,
Gary
:D

I'm blessed. I run an AD&D game (just started T1-4) w/ a new party, and play in a 3.5 game set in Dragonlance. I'm playing an elf. A Wizard even. Talk about diametrically opposed, hell I don't recognize myself when I look in the mirror anymore! :p

I've also started a monthly boardgame night at my house. We played the FASA Crimson Skies boardgame last night.

I've been lucky enough to have played MA with Jim at the innaugural LGGC, he's a hoot!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Odnasept said:
That does sound quite refreshing; I also am used to being the DM almost exclusively (and thankfully have learned much about the vocation since I was 14 (although thankfully the Michelle's Chaos Wind necklace was charmed off of Merlin before it ran out of charges)), and fantasy campaigns with some degree of science/technology are my favourite kind.

I do however find that when running such a campaign maintaining balance may be compared to the proverbial tightrope walk, and is proportionately more difficult the higher the level of science permitted. Science in this case is as opposed to 'magic technology', wherein devices are powered or operated by a magical source and thus generally require a character versed in such things to operate. I wonder what level of science is employed by Jim Ward and how prevalent/available it is.

I also wish to thank you for your wise and timely response; it is an honour to be so acknowledged by the creator of the game!
Have a look at the Metamorphosis Alpha TPG 4th Edition. The balance is easily maintained in its setting as more potent adversaries are always at hand...as are things that use up/take away even the most cherished of technological equipment.

As for being honored, I must say the feeling is mutual.

Cheerio,
Gary

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(quietly)

Thank you, Gary.

-

I wish I could truly share with you the majesty, beauty, and wonder your game brought to me and others, and give comprehensive utterance to the great things it brought into being.

I will instead be content to say that, 40 years ago, the Magic awoke. The Magic awoke, and it has shone ever since, it's light lofted, upheld high, exhorted and empowered by the enduring fire of the Human Spirit.

-

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
:D

I'm blessed. I run an AD&D game (just started T1-4) w/ a new party, and play in a 3.5 game set in Dragonlance. I'm playing an elf. A Wizard even. Talk about diametrically opposed, hell I don't recognize myself when I look in the mirror anymore! :p

I've also started a monthly boardgame night at my house. We played the FASA Crimson Skies boardgame last night.

I've been lucky enough to have played MA with Jim at the innaugural LGGC, he's a hoot!
You have it made gaming-wise, assuredly...albeit perhaps a bit short on boardgaming time. Sadly, son Ernie is now worling long hours, so out regular Monday boiardgames afternon has gone by the board.

For a fact Jim can keep one entertained, even laughing, as your character becomes toast aboard the Starship Warden...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
(quietly)

Thank you, Gary.

-

I wish I could truly share with you the majesty, beauty, and wonder your game brought to me and others, and give comprehensive utterance to the great things it brought into being.

I will instead be content to say that, 40 years ago, the Magic awoke. The Magic awoke, and it has shone ever since, it's light lofted, upheld high, exhorted and empowered by the enduring fire of the Human Spirit.

-

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith
Why my thanks to you Good Sir!

Those are very generous words of praise, and I appreciate them as such,

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads