TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
...although they [mind flayers] could be spacefaring aliens whose ship crashed on the planet marooning them, the occupants being sufficiently numerous to have a viable breeding population.

Thanks, Gary. The possibility you mentioned quoted above is the origin of mind flayers on my science-fantasy campaign world.

One more question: Do you remember who invented the assassin character class? It first appears in the Blackmoor supplement, but I know that not everything in it was authored by Dave Arneson.

Col_Pladoh said:
...they could be spacefaring aliens whose ship crashed on the planet marooning them, the occupants being sufficiently numerous to have a viable breeding population.
I love that concept for mind flayers. (Actually, I like that concept, in general; it seems like an honored element of the swords-n-sorcery tradition, to me.)

Speaking of swords-n-sorcery and fantastic tales, yesterday I received a copy of The Anubis Murders, published under Paizo's Planet Stories imprint. I'm looking forward to diving into it, later today. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Thanks, Gary. The possibility you mentioned quoted above is the origin of mind flayers on my science-fantasy campaign world.

One more question: Do you remember who invented the assassin character class? It first appears in the Blackmoor supplement, but I know that not everything in it was authored by Dave Arneson.
In point of fact the Assassin class was something I devised as a spin-off of the Thief class. Darned if I recall how much, if any, polishing Tim Kask did when he incirporated it into the Blackmoor manuscript he put together so as to get that D&D supplement into shape for publication.

Tim has a Q&A thread over on the Dragonsfoot boards, so you might want to query him.

Cheerio,
Gary

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Can you elaborate on the Lovecraftian influence on mindflayers? I mean, there is a connection to Cthulhu as hinted at in the original DMG, right? (or are all of us Lovecraft fanatics just reading too much into things?)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Philotomy Jurament said:
I love that concept for mind flayers. (Actually, I like that concept, in general; it seems like an honored element of the swords-n-sorcery tradition, to me.)

Speaking of swords-n-sorcery and fantastic tales, yesterday I received a copy of The Anubis Murders, published under Paizo's Planet Stories imprint. I'm looking forward to diving into it, later today. :D
How my player group disliked the Illithids when I introduced them into my campaign :lol: Most DMs liked them a lot, though...

If you enjoy the Anubis Murders when you read it, keep an eye out for the other two Magister Setne Inhetap mystery adventure novels, Samarkand Solution and Death in Delhi. I surely did have a good time writing the triogy.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tylerthehobo said:
Can you elaborate on the Lovecraftian influence on mindflayers? I mean, there is a connection to Cthulhu as hinted at in the original DMG, right? (or are all of us Lovecraft fanatics just reading too much into things?)
As one that enjoys the whole plethora of Lovecraftian yarns, those written by HPL and those created by his cadre of followers, I freely admit that the cover of Brian Lumely's paperback novel, The Burrowers Beneath, inspired me to create the D&D mind-flayer.

I hoped then that it would have been a monstrous creature that Lovecraft himself would have approved of :D

Cheerio,
Gary

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
As one that enjoys the whole plethora of Lovecraftian yarns, those written by HPL and those created by his cadre of followers, I freely admit that the cover of Brian Lumely's paperback novel, The Burrowers Beneath, inspired me to create the D&D mind-flayer.

I hoped then that it would have been a monstrous creature that Lovecraft himself would have approved of :D

Cheerio,
Gary

I guess in a way that makes you part of that group of folks who furthered the mythos after HPL's passing, then! :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tylerthehobo said:
I guess in a way that makes you part of that group of folks who furthered the mythos after HPL's passing, then! :)
A lot of the mythos begun by HPL was aithored by collaborative writers when he was alive.

At best any contribution I made was miniscule and marginal ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Tewligan

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Those monstrous creatures were never native to any human planet :eek:

I my mind they came from another plane, managed to find their way to the Oerth...although they could be spacefaring aliens whose ship crashed on the planet marooning them, the occupants being sufficiently numerous to have a viable breeding population.

Cheers,
Gary
Perhaps their ship crashed in...THE BARRIER PEAKS! Bum bum BUM!!!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Tewligan said:
Perhaps their ship crashed in...THE BARRIER PEAKS! Bum bum BUM!!!
:eek:

I believe that such a starship would need to be larger than the vessel that ended up in the Barrier Peaks. I viable breeding population would need at least 500 or so individuals methinks.

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads