TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Forgemeister

First Post
God would never make the rest of us so sad as to take you away Gary.

...and... I haven't been here for a week and I'm two pages behind!

NO, I don't have plans to revamp A Challenge of Arm's and Ritual of the Golden Eyes this year. We'll have our hands full with Castle Wolfmoon.

...also, for everyone else out there...

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the next Lejendary Earth installment, after which it goes to Gary for perusal, additions, corrections etcetera...

But probably by Saturday (sooner if my luck is good) you can start bugging HIM for details.
::evil chuckle::
I am currnetly finding my way through the Kingdom of Chinwu..

Kotugar, Ghortai, The Kalharki Thearchy, and Vantai-nanchi are all that then remain.

Then I'll be taking a short haitus while I redraft the new Playin' in the Streets Rules, and final draft the new micro-game rules for Trade Wars...

...and then its time for the next Lost City of the Utiss adventure, Hekanaptra.

We're also due for another free downloadable LA Module...

...and again, all of these go through Gary before being sent out into the world... so he'll know about them, just ask :)

Don't ever change Gary :).

XXOOCC

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
Thanks for the answers, Gary. It's a pleasure to be able to learn from the master.

For MUs too? A 5th level Fighting-man, 5th level Cleric, & 5th level MU would all have 5d6 hp? (not counting adjustments due to Con)

Welcome:)

Indeed all the PCs got an extra HD per level after an initial few months of play otherwise, even the MUs. then we always had fighters gaining +1 point to the die roll, and we counted Con bonuses only for fighters. This general idea was reflected in the varied HD gain used in OAD&D, with fighters getting d10, clerics d8, magic-users their d4, etc.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Forgemeister said:
God would never make the rest of us so sad as to take you away Gary.

The thought is appreciated, but I am a realist. I am grateful for each new day of late :D

...and... I haven't been here for a week and I'm two pages behind!

NO, I don't have plans to revamp A Challenge of Arm's and Ritual of the Golden Eyes this year. We'll have our hands full with Castle Wolfmoon.

Plenty of time for that if you quit fiddling with those mini-games you crank out by the dozens :lol:

...also, for everyone else out there...

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the next Lejendary Earth installment, after which it goes to Gary for perusal, additions, corrections etcetera...

But probably by Saturday (sooner if my luck is good) you can start bugging HIM for details.
::evil chuckle::
I am currnetly finding my way through the Kingdom of Chinwu..

Kotugar, Ghortai, The Kalharki Thearchy, and Vantai-nanchi are all that then remain.

There might be an additional use of the Lejendary Earth world setting in the future, but one never knows. I would have bet on the Gord the Rogue graphic novels being a go, but the poor market shot that project down in flames :\

Then I'll be taking a short haitus while I redraft the new Playin' in the Streets Rules, and final draft the new micro-game rules for Trade Wars...

Like I said, mini-game crankin'! Ah well, as they're a lot of fun, have at it!!!

...and then its time for the next Lost City of the Utiss adventure, Hekanaptra.

We're also due for another free downloadable LA Module...

...and again, all of these go through Gary before being sent out into the world... so he'll know about them, just ask :)

All the LA game projects, right. I wouldn't dream of messing with your own creative work, amigo.

Don't ever change Gary :).

XXOOCC

Errr... Not even after showering? Oh, I get your meaning now, sorry....

Heh,
Gary

mark_j

First Post
Hello Gary, it is an honor to be "speaking" with you. I even registered to this site just for the opportunity. This is my first post, I have goosebumps just typing this!

I am a crusty old (I'm 34!!) OAD&D player who has been DMing for a group of younger guys in their 20's using 3rd Edition D&D rules for the past 2+ years. I am currently transferring my campaign world lock, stock, and barrel to OAD&D because DMing in 3rd Edition is just not any fun for me, for many reasons.

The reason I am writing is because I have a question regarding touch attacks, via spell or otherwise. In OAD&D, do touch attack spells ignore an opponent's armor/shield (thus making the target AC 10 adjusted by magic bonuses and dexterity) or does the touch attack need to take into consideration the normal AC of the potential victim (such as when striking with a weapon)? The only possible exception being the Shocking Grasp spell which obviously ignores metallic armor, as I understand it.

When I played years ago in high school and college, we simply used the victim's full AC, but my recent foray into 3rd Edition has clouded my view. The current group's cleric and I are discussing the matter, but haven't come to a good conclusion.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide, and thank you for a wonderful past-time.

Last edited:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, a Lejendary Earth question for you. I don't have the game itself but I've heard it's set in a "Lehendary Earth" setting which has the same (or similar) continents and civilizations as earth does, just with some changes thrown in. I'm wondering if there's a "Lejendary Earth" Atlantis anywhere below the depths?

Come to think of it, was there ever a Greyhawkian "Atlantis"? I don't recall reading about any sunken continents in the gazateer but could certainly be wrong about that.

Also, does the Lejendary Earth fit in at all with the Oerth/Aerth/Yarth parallel worlds? (BTW, I designed a campaign world with the name Ærth before I knew you had used that name in the Gord books! :) )

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mark_j said:
Hello Gary, it is an honor to be "speaking" with you. I even registered to this site just for the opportunity. This is my first post, I have goosebumps just typing this!

Exchanging communications is fun. As for goosebumps, likely there's a cold draft there at your computer :uhoh:

I am a crusty old (I'm 34!!) OAD&D player who has been DMing for a group of younger guys in their 20's using 3rd Edition D&D rules for the past 2+ years. I am currently transferring my campaign world lock, stock, and barrel to OAD&D because DMing in 3rd Edition is just not any fun for me, for many reasons.

The reason I am writing is because I have a question regarding touch attacks, via spell or otherwise. In OAD&D, do touch attack spells ignore an opponent's armor/shield (thus making the target AC 10 adjusted by magic bonuses and dexterity) or does the touch attack need to take into consideration the normal AC of the potential victim (such as when striking with a weapon)? The only possible exception being the Shocking Grasp spell which obviously ignores metallic armor, as I understand it.

When I played years ago in high school and college, we simply used the victim's full AC, but my recent foray into 3rd Edition has clouded my view. The current group's cleric and I are discussing the matter, but haven't come to a good conclusion.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide, and thank you for a wonderful past-time.

To make it quick and easy, we always used the target's AC, except as you note for shocking grasp against metal armor which is the same as no protection. That all makes sense to me, because a touch means contacting a bit of exposed flesh or possibly a garment touching the subject's bare flesh. A shield fends off such a touch, and dexterity enables better avoidance of such contact.

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, a Lejendary Earth question for you. I don't have the game itself but I've heard it's set in a "Lehendary Earth" setting which has the same (or similar) continents and civilizations as earth does, just with some changes thrown in. I'm wondering if there's a "Lejendary Earth" Atlantis anywhere below the depths?

Yes, the Lejendary Earth is somewhat similar in land masses to this world, but the continents are rather different in form, and the eighth is not at the south pole but to the northwest of the LE world's version of Australia. There is also a group of large islands some distance off the west coast of the LE world's equivalent of North America, a sort of Lemuria-like grouping

No, there was never an Atlantis on the LE world, but there are some large and fertile islands in its version of the Atlantic Ocean.

Come to think of it, was there ever a Greyhawkian "Atlantis"? I don't recall reading about any sunken continents in the gazateer but could certainly be wrong about that.

Such a place might have existed to the east of Oerik in the area that Francois Marcela Froideval had created for his campaign. I seem to recall him mentioning it, but it's been about 25 years...

Also, does the Lejendary Earth fit in at all with the Oerth/Aerth/Yarth parallel worlds? (BTW, I designed a campaign world with the name Ærth before I knew you had used that name in the Gord books! :) )

Gray Mouser

It can ft in anywhere the GM using it wishes;) The history I have created for the setting has the planet ruled by a strange non-human race that enslaved humans, then because of mankind's growing capacity to use magic, lost it all in a long and terrible war.

Cheers,
Gary

eyebeams

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Why not have the PCs have to expend some XPs to move up in their skill just as they need them for class level?

Well, I figured that our brave adventurers would pick up these skills on the run, as they sallied forth! The thief might have to pick up the skill of being party teamster, or the MU may study a sagely field as a normal part of his arcane training.

Still, normal people would probably favor a normal profession and would probably spend their XPs just as you suggest. And since adventurers ought to be able to do the same thing, it ought to be an option.

The easiest thing would be to allow characters to pick of a new field/trade in lieu of a class level -- or for half the price, maybe. Still, I'm worried about it looking too much like third edition multiclassing.

By the way Gary: Was Gutboy Barrelhouse somebody's character, or just made up for the combat example in the OAD&D DMG?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
eyebeams said:

...Still, I'm worried about it looking too much like third edition multiclassing.

By the way Gary: Was Gutboy Barrelhouse somebody's character, or just made up for the combat example in the OAD&D DMG?

Having PCs with abilities that qualify for the comic book superhero role is not desirable in a FRPG, I concur. If you have secondary skills, be sure to keep them as just that--secondary and not powerful in application, uncertain in application.

Gutboy Barrelhouse was a name made up for the example;)

Cheers,
Gary

dead

Explorer
AD&D 1E Questions

Dear Gary,

Please help me find inner peace.

I love 1st Edition AD&D to death, but there were two rules in the game that annoyed the hell out of me and, as a result, I did not abide by them. Here are the rules:

1) Level limits for demihumans

2) Restrictions on picking up multiple classes (or stopping your progression in a class/classes). In other words, if you started an elf fighter/wizard from 1st level, then you were stuck with an elf fighter/wizard forever! You weren't "officially" allowed to add another class, or discontinue, say, your fighter class and pursue wizardry only. [Not to mention the fact that humans could not pick up multiple classes (except they could dual-class if they had extraordinary attributes; but only once in their life).]

I want to return to the good ol'days very soon and run a retrospective 1E AD&D campaign but I want to stay as *true* to the original rules as possible. Now, I know your decision to have the two rules above was for "game balance", but I'd like to hear from you how I could possibly describe the restrictions "in game".

Using the elf fighter/wizard as an example: If the player is a 4th-level fighter/4th-level wizard, but (in game) his character wants to join the clergy of an elven god and become a cleric, I can't just say: "No, the rules don't allow you to do that." I have to give an "in game" explanation.

As to the level restrictions on demihumans, you might say: "Demihumans just lose all drive for adventure after they've had but the merest taste of it". This doesn't rub well with me, though, because they don't get very far before they're restricted. Top levels are, perhaps, 10th. To get to 10th level doesn't take very long. It is just a drop in the river of time.

Alternatively, Gary, you could tell me that roleplaying games were in their early conception back then and your decision to put these arbitrary restrictions in place to serve game balance (but not resolving in-game believability) was a mistake.

Either response should put me on the road to finding inner peace.

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads