TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

gideon_thorne

First Post
British certainly. Cause those are the stories my dad told about trolls.

He also spent much time talking about Knobby the Knocker, a lil dwarvish chap that would tap on the walls during my dads days as a yorkshire coal miner.

haakon1 said:
Whose mythology has trolls living under bridges? My mom used to talk about that.

I always assumed it was either Norwegian (I'm mostly Irish-American, but part Norwegian and my parents lived there for a year) or "generic", presumably English.

In Seattle, there's a famous statue of the troll under a bridge, but it's in the "funky" Fremont neighborhood, not Norwegian Ballard.

gideon_thorne said:
British certainly. Cause those are the stories my dad told about trolls.

He also spent much time talking about Knobby the Knocker, a lil dwarvish chap that would tap on the walls during my dads days as a yorkshire coal miner.

Hmmm . . . so is all this D&D playing and Tolkien reading and so on going to replace the folk stories, so a few generations from now, nobody can tell the Yorkshire trolls from the Swedish trolls? (As an aside, hmm, Yorkshire was the Danelaw, so it's trolls could be Scandinavian or Anglo-Saxon or Celtic in origin.)

Oddly enough, the "Bridge Troll" (lives under a bridge and collects tolls from travellers, regenerates like regular D&D trolls, turns to stone like Tolkien trolls if exposed to daylight) is the only monster I created for my campaign.

Gray Mouser

First Post
haakon1 said:
Hmmm . . . so is all this D&D playing and Tolkien reading and so on going to replace the folk stories, so a few generations from now, nobody can tell the Yorkshire trolls from the Swedish trolls? (As an aside, hmm, Yorkshire was the Danelaw, so it's trolls could be Scandinavian or Anglo-Saxon or Celtic in origin.)

Speaking as a fan of both D&D and JRRT, yes it does seem that the popularity of these two will cause some mythological confusion for many people in the foreseeable future. Just consider it an up close and personal example of "globalization."

Oddly enough, the "Bridge Troll" (lives under a bridge and collects tolls from travellers, regenerates like regular D&D trolls, turns to stone like Tolkien trolls if exposed to daylight) is the only monster I created for my campaign.

Heh, I tossed the idea of such a troll around for my campaign, too, several years ago. None ever came into play, though.

Gray Mouser

oldschooler

First Post
Quick question for you Gary: When you first started playing Chainmail, do you remember what scenarios/battles or armies were easiest or most fun to play (both realistic and fantasy)?

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
oldschooler said:
Quick question for you Gary: When you first started playing Chainmail, do you remember what scenarios/battles or armies were easiest or most fun to play?

Plus (off topic): I am SO going to Sweden whenever I get a chance! I do work for Molnlycke (in a roundabout way), maybe I can stow away on a shipment or something:uhoh:
We played all sorts of scenarios--Vikings vs. Saxons; Turks vs. Austrians, Crusaders vs. Saracens, whatever. All were fun. the rules are pretty easy and few argyments ever occurred.

I have some close fellow gamers in Sweden. They came to the German con in 1999 in Rothenberg to play in my campaign--"The Five Crazy Swedes." good gamers and nice chaps too, so we had a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Pre-LGGC Get-together at My Place

Reminder!

We are having an "Open Porch" this Thursday evening, 28 July, for all planning to attend the Lake Geneva Gaming Convention over the weekend. There might be food left...Gail plans to have a smoked turkey, potato salad, baked beans, hamburgers, and hot dogs there for as many as 20 persons; but do bring your own favored drink as I refuse to allow her to bring in a quarter barrel of beer.

BTW, if you are the Beloved Fellow that gifted us with the bottle of Chambouille Musigny 2001, bless you! That was one of the best wines we have ever enjoyed. We shared it with friends, and they agreed as to its being of grand cru savor.

Cheers,
Gary

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Hey Gary,

Your old friend Gord the rogue woke me up the other night. He snuck into my bedroom and put a dagger to my throat, threw some icewater in my face, and went on to tell me how he's been on vacation for way too long and can't stand it anymore. He's got a whole new world to explore with that hot drow wife of his and he wants you to pick up his story where you left off.

When he left, he told me that if he has to ask again, it will be painful. Please Gary, save me from this guy and give the man something to do. Please!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Whisperfoot said:
Hey Gary,

Your old friend Gord the rogue woke me up the other night. He snuck into my bedroom and put a dagger to my throat, threw some icewater in my face, and went on to tell me how he's been on vacation for way too long and can't stand it anymore. He's got a whole new world to explore with that hot drow wife of his and he wants you to pick up his story where you left off.

When he left, he told me that if he has to ask again, it will be painful. Please Gary, save me from this guy and give the man something to do. Please!
Well Put!

Dragon magazine is asking me for a Gord the Rogue short story, and I might see about it in the autumn when the weather turns chill here. Meantime, Troll Lord is planning yo do a hardback reprint of the whole series of Gord books cming this winter.

Cheerio,
Gary

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not the person who sent that wine...

However, I was recently buying some and the sommalier told me that the vintages of 2001, 02, and 03 were particularly good. I went with his suggestion and picked up a German White from 02, and I must say that it tasted like a wine with another decade under its cork.

Some of the best from those years are already going for over $1K/bottle.

Get 'em while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads