TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Storm Raven

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hmmm...

What are Epic Level PCs all about?

Not being played, mostly.

Seriously, how many D&D players in the current edition play (or have played) campaigns in which epic level PCs were present? I'd wager that the percentage is very small, probably something like 5% or less.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Col_Pladoh said:
As I have no particular interest in convoncing any gamer about the superiority of any former version of the D&D game, do not hold your breath awaiting more on that subject.
I don't see it as convincing anyone of anything, just as an explanation of what contributed to the 'feel' of older editions.

Though, if you have no interest in such a exposition, I'll have to continue looking for sources for such information. Thanks, though!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Storm Raven said:
Not being played, mostly.

Seriously, how many D&D players in the current edition play (or have played) campaigns in which epic level PCs were present? I'd wager that the percentage is very small, probably something like 5% or less.
Only WotC can estimate the actual number based on sales of the work, Imperical evidence is useless, as not 5% of the new D&D game audience posts here or on any other website ;)

My statements are based on the the rule books published, the contents of same, ans what I have heard imperically :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
I don't see it as convincing anyone of anything, just as an explanation of what contributed to the 'feel' of older editions.

Though, if you have no interest in such a exposition, I'll have to continue looking for sources for such information. Thanks, though!
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. In this case playing the original versions of the game, eh?

Cheers,
Gary

Jdvn1

Storm Raven said:
In my experience, it is the players and the DM who dictate things...
And that was my original understanding as well. Thus, my question was a bit abstract, I suppose, in trying to figure out what dictates qualities which are representative of OD&D. Though, I suppose I could gleam that I should avoid qualities like:
Col_Pladoh said:
... rules intensive, removes the "Master" from Dungeon Master, has no archetypes left, encourages the players to compete for dominance, devalued magic items, and substitutes statutes in the rules for innovation.

Jdvn1

Col_Pladoh said:
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. In this case playing the original versions of the game, eh?

Cheers,
Gary
Well, I've recently bought some of the early modules (B2, B3, S2, and X1, unless I've gotten my codes mixed up), with the hope that running them and merely converting the rules would convey at least a similar feel to OD&D. Kind of an OD&D compromise is what I'm going for. I just want to make sure that the proper feel is being upheld.

Jdvn1

Col_Pladoh said:
Hmmm...

What are Epic Level PCs all about?

Cheers,
Gary
In my experience (though, apparently, it's not typical), it's about the same sorts of things. But instead of fighting on-rushing hordes, you're fighting epic-sized on-rushing hordes of epicness. ;)

There are just more obstacles, tougher obstacles, more tools to overcome them, and more possibilities for creativity.

Heathansson

First Post
Hello, Colonel!
Hope you're feeling better!!!

Just a question that stretches back down the eons to 1e.: why do druids use scimitars?
It just seems curious with the Celtic connection.

John Drake

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
In my experience (though, apparently, it's not typical), it's about the same sorts of things. But instead of fighting on-rushing hordes, you're fighting epic-sized on-rushing hordes of epicness. ;)

There are just more obstacles, tougher obstacles, more tools to overcome them, and more possibilities for creativity.

I guess, but I don't really see how making things tougher or have more hit dice or damage creates furhter avenues for creativity. I find PC's at lower levels, limited resources etc to be ample resource for RPG's. Imho, epic for me is the Mentzer Immortal route: exciting, cerebral, and extremely thought provoking, from my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads