TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
As for tha Amazonian-type women of Hardby, the answers given above to the question are suitable...or one might make up one's own sort based on the campaign.

Remember that the milieu is one where violence is common, people generally unprotected save by their own efforts, so size, strength, and aggressiveness, not to mention armor, weapons, and skull in using the latter are major considerations :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Mr Baron

First Post
Dungeon Design

Gary,

Over the course of your career, how has your style of designing dungeon and adventures changed, and could you give a little insight into your current approach to designing adventures?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mr Baron said:
Gary,

Over the course of your career, how has your style of designing dungeon and adventures changed, and could you give a little insight into your current approach to designing adventures?
Heh,

Do not expect a treatis in response.

When I initially began creating adventure material I assumed that the GMs utilizing the work would prefer substance without window dressing, the latter being properly the realm of the GM so as to suit the campaign world and player group.

I discovered I was by and large erroneous in my assumption, so in later modules I added considerably more material for the GM to read aloud to his player group.

Currently I am rather loathe to design new adventure material of this sort, as I have done a sufficient number of modules that doing another risks repetition. I feel rather constrained thus. Coming up with something different and in at least some way surpassing my previous efforts (in my own critical view) is not a task undertaken lightly...if at all.

Cheers,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Coming up with something different and in at least some way surpassing my previous efforts (in my own critical view) is not a task undertaken lightly...if at all.

Cheers,
Gary

A sign of the truly creative. The desire to better ones craft and explore new territory. ^_^

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh,

Do not expect a treatis in response.

When I initially began creating adventure material I assumed that the GMs utilizing the work would prefer substance without window dressing, the latter being properly the realm of the GM so as to suit the campaign world and player group.

I discovered I was by and large erroneous in my assumption, so in later modules I added considerably more material for the GM to read aloud to his player group.

Currently I am rather loathe to design new adventure material of this sort, as I have done a sufficient number of modules that doing another risks repetition. I feel rather constrained thus. Coming up with something different and in at least some way surpassing my previous efforts (in my own critical view) is not a task undertaken lightly...if at all.

Cheers,
Gary
I just want to say that I much prefer your earlier approach, substance without window dressing. Or rather, your window dressing is usually quite good, but I loathe boxed text to read to players, no matter who wrote it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I just want to say that I much prefer your earlier approach, substance without window dressing. Or rather, your window dressing is usually quite good, but I loathe boxed text to read to players, no matter who wrote it.
It is less constraining to create an adventure without attempting to make it such as the explanation for it will suit virtually all campaogns. That is a no-no these days, and an author is castigated for not treating GMs as unimaginative and non-creative clods whose hand must be hald at all times. Rather akin to how some think players' characters must be coddled in regards to perils in adventuring.

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
It is less constraining to create an adventure without attempting to make it such as the explanation for it will suit virtually all campaogns. That is a no-no these days, and an author is castigated for not treating GMs as unimaginative and non-creative clods whose hand must be hald at all times. Rather akin to how some think players' characters must be coddled in regards to perils in adventuring.

but, but... if i don't always get everything i'm looking for in a game, then it's no fun. *sniffle sniffle*

;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
but, but... if i don't always get everything i'm looking for in a game, then it's no fun. *sniffle sniffle*

;)
Hey Boz,

Then do what I do: Make the GM and other players miserable and get your satisfaction from spoiling the fun for everyone :mad:

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases