TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh said:
By preference most of the players in my various groups over the years have been basically transient--even the initial large group of characters playing out of the City of Greyhawk. The lot were prone top wander far and wide, and any home base they established was typically an islokated stronghold constructed after many years of game time.

Built from scratch generally, or captured? My PC's might settle down in the Keep on the Borderlands . . .

Mostly, the PC's in my campaigns retreat to the safety of the nearby city or the Keep for training and recovery downtime between adventures, and to sell off loot and share info with their NPC allies.

Col_Pladoh said:
As for plots, never have I had the group concerned with saving the world, although sometimes that have been involved in adventures that have impacted a state or region. Mostly they decide for themselves what their motivation is and how far they will go to fulfill their ambitions.

I exaggerated with "saving the world". The missions my three campaigns are on right now:
1) High-level group (9th). Long range journey back home across the wilderness. Strategically, it's meant as a distraction for the forces of Iuz that they think are magically tracking them. In the short-run, they're helping an isoldated monestary fortress beat back an undead incursion, then it's off to explore Black Moor town, looking for a gate.

2) Mid-level group (5-7th). Short side adventure to find why a baron isn't sending his forces that are needed for the war effort.

3) Low-level group (2nd). Exploring a dungeon looking for a magical device useful for the war, and doing SAR for missing adventurers.

Col_Pladoh said:
Whenever I have encouraged political activity, it has been generally rejected in favor of action and adventure. The group play-testing the LA game back c.1997-99 bought a building in a town but soon left there to investigate a demon-haunted ruin. When they completed that partucular adventure--a module that will likley be published next year--they decided to leave the area and go adventuring elsewhere. (They didn't much care about real property of money...

That's generally been my experience too, except that my folks tend to steer back "home" again at the end of adventures.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
I am working on something that could well lessen our mutual vexation, KB.

At the end of an epic series the groups I DMed were generally so distant from their place of origination that they called wherever they happened to be "home."

:lol:
Gary

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Col_Pladoh said:
I am working on something that could well lessen our mutual vexation, KB.

At the end of an epic series the groups I DMed were generally so distant from their place of origination that they called wherever they happened to be "home."

:lol:
Gary

PC was a rolling stone?

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Speaking of really smart guys...

Solomon said "There is nothing new under the sun." That was maybe three millenia back too :lol:

Touché!

Indeed, that very phrase is often on my lips. If I do ever say anything smart, I am certainly only aping one such as he.

haakon1 said:
It's hard to see that which does not exist.

Not for us! We're gamers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Maybe the better term is imagine or visualize, eh?

OTOH, scientists manage to "see" many a theoretical thing. some of which prove to be imaginary in time :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
I have played Shogun, and it was okay...if a bit willy-nilly in tactics and strategy, likely proper considering the setting.

Indeed; I didn't like it as much as my friends did, but they really, really enjoyed it. (So much that they've demanded to play it again next time we meet). Oh well. :)

Have not seen the Age of Empires III game, although we did play the Civilization card game last week, and it was enjoyable.

Don't know that card game. Oh, I see... it was a free addition you got with the computer game.

What's the expected playing time for your upcoming board/card game, Gary?

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
Indeed; I didn't like it as much as my friends did, but they really, really enjoyed it. (So much that they've demanded to play it again next time we meet). Oh well. :)

Don't know that card game. Oh, I see... it was a free addition you got with the computer game.

What's the expected playing time for your upcoming board/card game, Gary?

Cheers!
Tom Wham picked up the new computer game, so we played his card game and had fun.

The KoE-KoF game should take from 45 minites to an hour and a quarter, depending on player familiarity with the hame and the distribution of the cards. Every player has a chance for action in each of the segments, one for each player, that make up a complete turn, so there is little if any boredom factor while another player takes action during his segment of play. In fact, player interation in the form of trading cards with each other is very necessary to win the game.

Cheers,
Gary

rossik

Explorer
hi mr gygax!

did you ever used "props" (dont know if this is the right word) in your games, as background music, burned letters, coins or any of this things?

what do ypu think of it?
is it just for begginers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads