TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Edgar

First Post
It seems like you don't really look at the work of other creators or even current D&D rules very much. Is this deliberate so that you don't taint any of your thoughts and ideas in the creation process or are you simply not interested? Also, where do you get your inspiration? Do you read a lot books and if so, which kinds? Do you do any research on the Internet? How much of your creative process is based on folklore and mythology vs. science fiction? Thanks.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Edgar said:
It seems like you don't really look at the work of other creators or even current D&D rules very much. Is this deliberate so that you don't taint any of your thoughts and ideas in the creation process or are you simply not interested? Also, where do you get your inspiration? Do you read a lot books and if so, which kinds? Do you do any research on the Internet? How much of your creative process is based on folklore and mythology vs. science fiction? Thanks.

Whoa!

SirE, that's a lot of queries packed into a single paragraph, and some that would call for pages-long responses :eek:

I have never read a lot of other game creators work--in fact only when I intend to play a game do I read the rules. Otherwise, it isn';t a matter of "taint," but one of believing I have sufficient of my own ideas to need to borrow from others not associated with the project I am doing. Of course when I workj with a co-writer it is a shared work.

My inspiration came originally form about 15 years of reading fiary tales, childrens' books, fables, Westerns, mythology, mysteries, folklore, detective stories including Sherlock Holmes and Nyland Smith, adventure tales, history, military history, SF and fantasy, Edgar Allen Poe--just about anything that seemed even vaguely interesting or informative. I have read literally thousands of books, and I still read a book or so a week, even when doing a lot of writing. These days I read mainly history and inaginative literature, but I have perused THE SOCIETY OF THE MIND and THE ORIGINS OF CONSCIOUSNESS IN THE BREAKDOWN OF THE BICAMERAL MIND not many years back. For light rwading I am currently reading MORE TALES OF IRISH GHOSTS and TOM BROWN'S SCHOOL DAYS.

Of course I must add radio, comic books, movies, school studies, TV, conversations, and observation of people and places to the inspirational sources. Foreign travel is especially interesting and helpful.

For some bibliographil suggestioons see the OAD&D DMG, Appendic L or M, I believe. Also in the MYTHUS game book there is an extensive bibvliography and reading list for fantasy.

I do not do much research on the internet, although now and then I find something of interest. Basicaly, I much prefer hardcopy, a book to read, take notes from, and re-read.

My initial work was a blend of history (from my wargaming roots), muth and mythology, and authored fiction. Currently I am much more interested in history than in fiction.

Cheerio,
Gary

jester47

First Post
Gary,

I have to admit that I am very much a Vecna fan. I figure you might have an inside view of Vecnology and might be able to answer my questions. I think one of the coolest things about Vecna is that he was not developed. While I think it is somewhat cool and original, the 2E treatment does sort of damage the mystique and sheer mystery of the character. Anyways here goes the questions: (these are based solely off of the 1E DMG descriptions)

Where did you get the idea for vecna? There is a Dr. Who episode called The Hand of Fear where a fossilized hand makes a lot of people behave badly. Was this the basis for the hand of vecna?

What came first, the hand or the eye? (Is that anything like the chicken and egg argument?) Obviously in game they came at the same time, but what was the first one written?

Ok, are the parts magical because they were all that was left to absorb vecna's essence, or did they survive because vecna made them "special" while he was alive? I know that the DMG says that the second one happened supposedly, but I thought I would ask anyways.

Looking at the descriptions (jewel eye, smaller remains, phantom roaming the prime material), it seems to me that Vecna could be considered a highly customised demilich. Or is he more or less than that?

Even the smallest details would be appreciated.

Aaron.

Geoffrey

First Post
Why Lejendary instead of Legendary?

(I remember being taken in for a few moments by an April Fool's joke a couple years ago [I believe it was in the LA Web Community on www.gygax.com] in which you were reportedly gunned down, all because of the "J".) :eek:

sotterraneo

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Heh...

"Don't denigrate the position you have, amigo. It is a great one IMO, and you get to relate to gamers a lot and likely play many games as part of your "work" too. An enviable potition;)"
Oh, I like my job (hey, I have chosen it, not the other way around 8-]) but I understand that reatilers have often not a very good 'press' in Internet sites and forums... 8-[
"I think it was ModCon99, as Alex was with me, had just turned 13 a week or so before we attended. As for looking different, well, that's what time does for you, eh? As for me,I'm just happy to be around still :eek:"
Was it 1999? Hmmm, I starting to show my age...
"1) Well, when we were in Italy, Alex said: "The food here is great, all the gamers are friendly, and the girls are really pretty. We can move here anytime you want to, Dad.""
8-] Your son has a really good taste 8-P. About gamers being friendly, well, considering that D&D and AD&D were and are by far the most popular games in Italy (we could say that gamerdom is divided between the ones who like/love them and the ones who hate them with a 10:1 ratio at least) and you are the father of both, well, I was surprised in not seeing a biggest queue (when I went back to Brescia and started to tell amazed customers about your presence in Italy and showing your autographs I started listening "NOOOOO - why nobody told this to me?!? AARGH!" and of course "How much do you want for this module/Basic Set?". Nothing, of course, becuase I'll NEVER sell them. If you ever come to Italy and the news are better spread, expect a HUGE audience!
"So, is Alex has any input, I suspect the answer is a positive one. Fact is, though, I am very busy, and going to cons here in the US or overseas takes about two weeks out of my working time when all is siad and done. Thus Trigee levies a hefty fee on my appearances. I hate travelling--although I love to be in new places--so I generally don't mind not going. The most likely scenario is in regards to the LA MMPO RPG. The developers, Dreams-Interactive, are in Europe. If all goes as planned, arond 2004 we will be in beta test, and then I'll likely by needed over there--Belgium. Once I'm in Europe, well, I have a good friend in France, and I like Germany, Italy, and Spain, enjoy england too...".

I'll alert convention organizers for 2004 then.

"2) From the larger perspectivem Alessandro, the AD&D game was the best move TSR ever made. Sales jumped incredily when it was released, and I do believe that even 3E has not met the volume that those originalbooks attained--could be wrong there, but..."
Oops, sorry if I gave you the impression I was against the AD&D game - far from it! I'm not that kind of person who says "If I don't like it, then it's a bad thing". But...
"Anyway, I do agree with you that it was a mistake for TSR not to cntinue to support the D&D game line too. I urged that we do so, but that advice was ignored".
Sigh. They really shoot themselves in the feet, in Italy at least, because they destroyed an excellent 'recruiting' game. Oh, well...
"You are most welcome--I've had a great time creating and playing games, so the whole is mutual".
Mr. Gygax, I don't want to seem pushy or anything and I DO know you did a lot of these things in the past, but may I interview you for the Dungeons.it web site (I think the site's nature is clear?)? I understand you are - of course - a very busy personbut if you ever had the time then I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

"Ciao,
Gary"

Hmmm, you don't know Italian, don't you?

Ciro Alessandro Sacco
Brescia - Italy

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day Gary!

Another question or two...

Looking at your D&D adventures, the term "challenging" comes to mind. An entirely good thing, of course! However, I'm wondering how often players would be losing their PCs in your D&D games?

What happened then? Did they start new characters at level 1, or were you kind to the poor players and give them other options?

:)

Apart from your own RPG designs, have you played many other RPGs?

Cheers & Thanks once more!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jester47 said:
Gary,

I have to admit that I am very much a Vecna fan. I figure you might have an inside view of Vecnology and might be able to answer my questions.

[snippage]

Even the smallest details would be appreciated.

Aaron.

Smallest detail indeed and perforce. Brian blume was the creator of the Eye and Hand of Vecna, and nary a detail of those items did he ever reveal to me--beyond what appeared in print, I hasten to add:D

All I can say other than that is that some clever DM included the "Head of Vecna" in his adventure material, and at least two players instigated the demise of their characters attempting to take advantage of this marvelous opportnity to gain the greatest of powers. ROTFLMAO!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Why Lejendary instead of Legendary?

(I remember being taken in for a few moments by an April Fool's joke a couple years ago [I believe it was in the LA Web Community on www.gygax.com] in which you were reportedly gunned down, all because of the "J".) :eek:

Marketing, of course. Without the "j" in it, the name is common, ordinary, easily forgotten, and quite unlikely to be trade-markable. With the "j" in it it is disctict, unusual, and remarked on often, thank you very much:)

Gary

jester47

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Smallest detail indeed and perforce. Brian blume was the creator of the Eye and Hand of Vecna, and nary a detail of those items did he ever reveal to me--beyond what appeared in print, I hasten to add:D

All I can say other than that is that some clever DM included the "Head of Vecna" in his adventure material, and at least two players instigated the demise of their characters attempting to take advantage of this marvelous opportnity to gain the greatest of powers. ROTFLMAO!

Cheers,
Gary

DOH! Aaron gets out a pad of paper and a pen "Brian Blum, hunt down regarding Vecnology...."

Thanks for you time Gary!

Aaron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases