TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Hey there Gary. I hope all is well. I have a question about the old days if you don't mind. When you were first creating the game, how did you find people to play? I am curious how you managed to spark so much interest. Did you just ask your friends to come by some evening and try it out? Did you have an ongoing rapport with fellow wargamers regarding design of the game and they desired to try it out? Something altogether different? Thanks for your time!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
tintagel said:

HOLY CRAP!

You, sir, are the very definition of a labor of love. And I thought my dundjinni maps for ToEE were pretty decent. I am a fool to ever have thought so. Your work is beautiful, break-taking, and stunning all at once. You are truly an artist and a dedicated hobbyist. If I had the money, I would patronize your work. Well done, sir!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, I hope to DM an AD&D campaign once your Castle Zagyg: Upper Works is published. I'm toying with setting it in Aerth, in Falcondonia to be exact. ;)

Which reminds me: Are the entries for Heliotep and Relantl accidentally switched in the Epic of Aerth book? Relantl is listed as having an Egyptian heritage, language, and pantheon. Heliotep is listed as having an Atlantean language and pantheon. Should the names be switched? "Heliotep" sounds very Egyptian to me, and the name "Relantl" is clearly similar to the name "Atlantis".
Hi Geoffrey,

You are quite correct, the entry information regarding language and pantheon are switched between Heliotep and Relantl. How that happened is a puzzlement.

Hope your CZ campaign turns out to be a smashing success!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Hey there Gary. I hope all is well. I have a question about the old days if you don't mind. When you were first creating the game, how did you find people to play? I am curious how you managed to spark so much interest. Did you just ask your friends to come by some evening and try it out? Did you have an ongoing rapport with fellow wargamers regarding design of the game and they desired to try it out? Something altogether different? Thanks for your time!
Interesting question...especially considering since I do not remember it being asked in such a manner prior to this.

The play-test group consisted of my oldest son, Ernie, and elder daughter, Elise. Immediately thereafter I added Rob and Terry Kuntz and Don Kaye. Soon they weekend sessions included many of the members of our miniatures group, the Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association, and nearby wargamers that belonged to the old IFW such as Bill Hoyer. We played some D&D at the GenCon in the summer of 1973, so more players came from that. The interest was essentially word of mouth. A single gamer, or a group would come for two or three adventure sessions, then go off on theor own. Thus I got into the habit of not memorizing names and faces, the group was so transcient that it didn't pay, save in regards to the campaign's regulars. Even that core changed a good deal over the first couple of years of play.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
HOLY CRAP!

You, sir, are the very definition of a labor of love. And I thought my dundjinni maps for ToEE were pretty decent. I am a fool to ever have thought so. Your work is beautiful, break-taking, and stunning all at once. You are truly an artist and a dedicated hobbyist. If I had the money, I would patronize your work. Well done, sir!
Absolutely!

I guess my hand-drawn and hand-colored maps do not quite come up to the artistry of those.... :uhoh:

:lol:
Gary

Hey Gary,

I was just curious of your opinion of other non-D&D RPG's out there. What is your opinion of the Basic RolePlaying System from Chaosium and other non-class/level game like GURPS and Hero System?

I would really be curious concerning game such as Call of Cthulhu and Runequest as they have almost as much history as D&D.

Appreciate any comments you may have.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
old school gamer said:
Hey Gary,

I was just curious of your opinion of other non-D&D RPG's out there. What is your opinion of the Basic RolePlaying System from Chaosium and other non-class/level game like GURPS and Hero System?

I would really be curious concerning game such as Call of Cthulhu and Runequest as they have almost as much history as D&D.

Appreciate any comments you may have.
Heh,

As a busy designer that does not care to "borrow" ideas from others doing like work, I can speak only to the CoC game. I enjoy that a good deal, although I have not had the opportunity to play in many years.

Of course I played and generally enjoyed all of the RPGs that TSR published.

I add that the Lejendary Adventure FRPG is not class and level based, but to the best of my knowledge and belief does not resemble any of the other FRPGs also not class and level based. The LA game system is the one I now prefer to all others.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Pseudo-Undead

Gary,

Did you develop the pseudo-undead in the MMII? And if so, what was the story behind them?

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Garnfellow said:
Gary,

Did you develop the pseudo-undead in the MMII? And if so, what was the story behind them?
While I dislike admitting it, darned if I can recall the originator of the pseudo-undead concept.

I liked it as it gave the clerics something to fret about when they went into turning mode. Once in a while having the seemingly undead monster threatening not subject to that clerical power made adventues a bit more uncertain and exciting.

Cheers,
Gary

Valiant

First Post
Greetings Gary,
You wrote: -The LA game system is the one I now prefer to all others.-

I haven't played LA extensively, nor have I been following its development recently, though my group did play early last Srping. I have a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering:
1. When might we see a new release of the core system, and are you working on any revisions or major changes? Or, have you moved on completely to C&C?

2. Have you worked out a way to make begining characters weaker, starting out in LA is like starting out around 6th or 7th in 1E. I miss the feeling that I'm starting out not much better then the average guy, it allows me to develop my PC more somehow.

3. Have you ever considered making an LA basic (something cut down in complexity and length that kids could understand more easily. Perhaps with a Dungeon like presentation map/playing board.

Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases