TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: More questions

BOZ said:

hmm, i've heard "roll-playing" plenty of times, but i think this is the first time i've heard this one. :) i think it needs to be said a lot more often...

Heh, Boz;)

Many people knock "roll-playing," but it is a necessary part of the PRG game form where chance is a major factor in the game--as it is in real life. The real bad rap against dice rolling is if combat is the predominate feature of play, that negating the other elements that make up the game...such as role-playing.

Rules are necessary for a structured game, doubly so when it is based on fantasy where no real facts are available to the participants. then the structure becomes the major feature of play, though, then it is at least as onerous as roll-playing, so both terms are equally daming. If a game is nothing but role-playing, then it is not really a RPG, but some form of improvisational theater, for the game form includes far more than acting out assumed roles.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed, in AD&D I "fudged" the banshee to be a spirit of an evil female elf--that flying in the face of elves being soul-less... So you were basically correct, and I was using my revised treatment, returning the banshee into the ranks of the sidhe where they belong;)

In my games, I considered banshees the spirits of human women who died in childbirth. Also, I considered that demi-humans were all of inherently good alignment. I didn't have any evil or neutral dwarves, elves, gnomes, or halflings in my world. (This, of course, doesn't include duergar, drow, or deep gnomes.) Just as, for example, there were no six-foot tall halflings (not even as "exceptions"), there were no non-lawful good ones either.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: Re: Re: Re: More questions

Col_Pladoh said:
Heh, Boz;)

Many people knock "roll-playing," but it is a necessary part of the PRG game form where chance is a major factor in the game--as it is in real life. The real bad rap against dice rolling is if combat is the predominate feature of play, that negating the other elements that make up the game...such as role-playing.

Rules are necessary for a structured game, doubly so when it is based on fantasy where no real facts are available to the participants. then the structure becomes the major feature of play, though, then it is at least as onerous as roll-playing, so both terms are equally daming. If a game is nothing but role-playing, then it is not really a RPG, but some form of improvisational theater, for the game form includes far more than acting out assumed roles.

right, we need a good balance between all three for it to work well as a whole. over-emphasizing one or diminishing one takes away from the feel of the game. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:

In my games, I considered banshees the spirits of human women who died in childbirth. Also, I considered that demi-humans were all of inherently good alignment. I didn't have any evil or neutral dwarves, elves, gnomes, or halflings in my world. (This, of course, doesn't include duergar, drow, or deep gnomes.) Just as, for example, there were no six-foot tall halflings (not even as "exceptions"), there were no non-lawful good ones either.

Geoffrey, I was not so strict in my management of demi-humans. While most were basicaly of G alignment as groups, there were plenty of TN elves, and individuals within a group could vary through the whole spectrum. Basically E demi-humans had the same exceptions, although most PCs were hesitant to believe them, heh-heh.

Never did have a halfling or any other sort of racially gigantic proportions. About 25% variation in height was the max.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More questions

BOZ said:

right, we need a good balance between all three for it to work well as a whole. over-emphasizing one or diminishing one takes away from the feel of the game. :)

That's the way I feel, Boz. There are those who really love to emphasize one or another feature though. What the heck, if they are having fun it can't be bad...just sort of wring in terms of what the RPG is meant to be ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Hadit

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
... and a finally where the successful PC(s) get the big reward for staying the course and reaching the untimate conclusion.

Of course this begs the question: Did any of your players reach the "ultimate conclusion" of Castle Greyhawk?
Or do secrets lie there still?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hadit said:

Of course this begs the question: Did any of your players reach the "ultimate conclusion" of Castle Greyhawk?
Or do secrets lie there still?

When i was running the campaign alone, the dungeons of Castle Greyhawk wree only 13 levels deep. On the 13th was Zagig himself--he observed what went on above, restocked, etc. When a character got down to his level there was no going back. The one managing that was given an appropriate reward then sent on a giant, one-way slide clear through to the other side of the world, a place akin to China;) They had only what they carried at the time.

finding the lowest level was very difficult. Rob, playing Robilar solo, delved into the dungeon, made it. Ernie, noting Rog's absence from adventuring with the party, sent Tenser on a solo quest to discover Robilar's whereabouts. He managed to follow a similar path, and made level 13. Then Terry Kuntz noted both of his usual companions were nopt available to play, went forth with Terik, and made the lowest lever successfully. These PCs were around 10th level at this time. Rob never mapped, and Ernie didn't either when he went exploring with Tenser, so there was no cheating. Can't say how they managed it, but all three did it in succession. Each then solo-adventured back overland syccessfully via different routes.

No other players in the group managed that. About a month after all that Rob and I combined out castles, and Greyhawk Castle's dungeons grew massively, from about 20 levels total, 13 deep, to over 40, going down to about 28 levels.

Cheers,
Gary

Hadit

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

When i was running the campaign alone, the dungeons of Castle Greyhawk wree only 13 levels deep. On the 13th was Zagig himself--he observed what went on above, restocked, etc. When a character got down to his level there was no going back. The one managing that was given an appropriate reward then sent on a giant, one-way slide clear through to the other side of the world, a place akin to China;) They had only what they carried at the time.

finding the lowest level was very difficult. Rob, playing Robilar solo, delved into the dungeon, made it. Ernie, noting Rog's absence from adventuring with the party, sent Tenser on a solo quest to discover Robilar's whereabouts. He managed to follow a similar path, and made level 13. Then Terry Kuntz noted both of his usual companions were nopt available to play, went forth with Terik, and made the lowest lever successfully. These PCs were around 10th level at this time. Rob never mapped, and Ernie didn't either when he went exploring with Tenser, so there was no cheating. Can't say how they managed it, but all three did it in succession. Each then solo-adventured back overland syccessfully via different routes.

No other players in the group managed that. About a month after all that Rob and I combined out castles, and Greyhawk Castle's dungeons grew massively, from about 20 levels total, 13 deep, to over 40, going down to about 28 levels.

Cheers,
Gary

Wow! Castle Greyhawk is one cool dungeon! I hope some day that it manages to get published.

I guess then if Zagig was treated with proper respect he was amicable enough... better China than dead!

Does this mean that the Oerth is detailed in full somewhere in your notes? Or did you just 'wing' it?

Thanks for the responses!
Duglas

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ho Duglas!

I did sketch maps only for areas where there would likely be a lot of adventuring. Oterwise I winged it. Must have done a fair to middlin job, as Rob so enjoyed robilar's adventures in the Coty of Brass while returning from the Mysterious East that he went on and developed a detailed city of that name of his own design;)

Cheers,
Gary

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

Col_Pladoh said:

The elements needed thereafter are: Challenge of exploration, increasing danger including actual PC loss, varied problems, varied environments, occassional humor or like relief from the tension normal to the environment, mysteries, rewards commensurate with the challenge overcome, a series of milestones indicating achievement in the course of delving into the labyrinth, and a finally where the successful PC(s) get the big reward for staying the course and reaching the untimate conclusion.

What are the differences in using OAD&D versus LA when making a dungeon with increasing dangers?

Thanks!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases