Quantum Leap - An Experiment in Gaming

GhostBear

Explorer
Hello all,

Against his better judgement, one of my friends has decided to create his own gaming system from the ground up. As part of the process I recommended that he read through a bunch of different systems and see what works well and what doesn't.

But then I had an idea: Instead of just reading through the rules, why not run a series of one shots with as many systems as we can grab? Think of it as the "Quantum Leap" of gaming: A trio of characters jump from world to world trying to get home and need to solve a situation in each world along the way.

Here's the basic concept we're working with so far:
1. We're trading the GM hat around the group; anyone can run a game.
2. The GM is responsible for creating a "cheat sheet" for the rules so that we spend less time thumbing around through the books.
3. A single "episode" should fit within one or two gaming sessions to keep things moving along.
4. The GM is free to drop the characters into any situation at all at the start of his episode.

The main objective is to explore different rules systems, so the games will probably end up on the crunchy side and be a little less character driven. Also considering death to be relatively unimportant. If a character dies then he just appears again at the start of the next episode, intact. Magic!

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried something like this and what your experiences were. Also any advice to keep things running smoothly.

If you'd like to suggest a game system for us to try, that would be great! Please let us know what is mechanically interesting or different about it, if you can. We're looking for systems that are "good" but also systems that are "bad". Knowing what doesn't work is as valuable as knowing what does, right? The only bad suggestion is the one you didn't make. (o:

Thanks!

Remove ads