Quantum Leap Reboot (spoilers allowed)

Hey if we are going to be wishing on some old shows then besides some of those already mentioned here is another two
Riptide
Six Million Dollar Man

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They....well....might have '80's it up to 11, but...as an '80's fan I can let it slide.

So, I think setting the first episode when they did was a bit of genius.

The original show ran 1989 to 1993. Which means the big chunk of the fans of the original are children of the 80s. And that meant all the music they had playing in the background through the episode were effectively musical bribes for those fans.

The show was pretty standard Quantum Leap stuff, with a little bit better action choreo and stunt driving. Since I like standard Quantum Leap, this was good for me.

The original show was explicitly coy about what happened to the person Sam leapt into - they generally referred to them being in "the waiting room", and they were generally conscious and able to communicate. It was never made clear about whether Sam physically replaced them, or if he was swapping minds. We will probably see how this works out with Magic, as he was a leapee, so his perspective is probably going to get mentioned eventually.

I recall at least one episode where we saw the displaced person in the Waiting Room. They were shown as looking like themselves, rather than looking like Sam.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I recall at least one episode where we saw the displaced person in the Waiting Room. They were shown as looking like themselves, rather than looking like Sam.

Yeah, but when Sam leaped into a pregnant woman, who went into labor, there were... questions. :)

I want the people that did venture Bros to do 80's vehicle hero's that has legally distinct versions of knight rider, Air wolf and street hawk.

This might just be Paw Patrol thought.😛

Nutation

Explorer
The original show was explicitly coy about what happened to the person Sam leapt into - they generally referred to them being in "the waiting room", and they were generally conscious and able to communicate. It was never made clear about whether Sam physically replaced them, or if he was swapping minds. We will probably see how this works out with Magic, as he was a leapee, so his perspective is probably going to get mentioned eventually.
They were inconsistent as to whose body it is. I doubt the writers ever decided themselves. On one side of the argument is the pregnancy episode. On the other side is Sam as a disabled man who stands and walks despite having no legs.

Eventually, they all but stated that the hand of God is involved. I don't expect this show to embrace a spiritual element that way.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They were inconsistent as to whose body it is. I doubt the writers ever decided themselves. On one side of the argument is the pregnancy episode. On the other side is Sam as a disabled man who stands and walks despite having no legs.

It was the late 80s and early 90s. Genre TV hadn't really come to understand story arc and canon consistency - and the technical bits weren't really the point. So I actually forgive them the vague and inconsistent bits of the original. I will be unsurprised if they just don't ever mention a waiting room now.

Eventually, they all but stated that the hand of God is involved. I don't expect this show to embrace a spiritual element that way.

Well, Sam's belief that a higher power was involved is established within the first three episodes of the original (I just watched them). And NBC has not been too shy to have sci fi characters believe such things - it is a major theme in Manifest, for example.

Remove ads