Quantum Leap Reboot (spoilers allowed)

The original show is classic. I watched every episode when it aired. But I am not really looking for reboots of shows or movies I liked when I was young (I just find I tend not to enjoy the new ones, it is hard to catch lightning in a bottle)

Well, Sam's belief that a higher power was involved is established within the first three episodes of the original (I just watched them). And NBC has not been too shy to have sci fi characters believe such things - it is a major theme in Manifest, for example.

Plenty of science fiction gets into spiritual themes. I thought it worked for quantum. Also Quantum Leap had a pretty broad audience if I recall. I know I watched it with my mom and she wasn't a science fiction fan at all (I think it was more the history, the religious elements and the tone of the show that made her a fan).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The original show is classic. I watched every episode when it aired. But I am not really looking for reboots of shows or movies I liked when I was young (I just find I tend not to enjoy the new ones, it is hard to catch lightning in a bottle)

Yeah, it's a tough sell for me too. Though this one is 100% a sequel vs. a reboot - so not quite the same.

That said. Bakula put out a statement that, despite the show asking, he will not be involved with the new show in any way (of course, that could be a money negotiating tactic, who knows). That makes me kind of sad, as it could finally be a way to resolve something that was so abruptly dropped.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That said. Bakula put out a statement that, despite the show asking, he will not be involved with the new show in any way (of course, that could be a money negotiating tactic, who knows). That makes me kind of sad, as it could finally be a way to resolve something that was so abruptly dropped.

But... it was resolved. He was given an opportunity, and chose to never go home.

To bring him home would violate one of the better series-end moments in television. I'd be okay with Ben crossing paths with Sam, but given the original, bringing Sam home should not be an option.

Yeah, it's a tough sell for me too. Though this one is 100% a sequel vs. a reboot - so not quite the same.

But... it was resolved. He was given an opportunity, and chose to never go home.

To bring him home would violate one of the better series-end moments in television. I'd be okay with Ben crossing paths with Sam, but given the original, bringing Sam home should not be an option.

One of the things that made the original show work was the chemistry between Bakula and Stockwell. Umbran makes a good point about the closure for the show. Plenty of shows didn't get that. One of my favorites from around that time was Alien Nation and that was ended very early in its run even though it was popular, because of changes at the network. Again, I think the original Quantum Leap was very satisfying on its own. I don't really feel the need to see something new with Quantum Leap in the title.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Again, I think the original Quantum Leap was very satisfying on its own. I don't really feel the need to see something new with Quantum Leap in the title.

That's fair. I, personally, am happy to see them try.

Media is loaded with pretty grim fantasy and sci-fi. I find something more optimistic to be a really good thing, and if they follow in the footsteps of the original, this will fit that bill.

GreyLord

Legend

As I a non-fan of Quantum Leap, how did this work?

What was the decision and how was it made? or resolved?

That's fair. I, personally, am happy to see them try.

Media is loaded with pretty grim fantasy and sci-fi. I find something more optimistic to be a really good thing, and if they follow in the footsteps of the original, this will fit that bill.

I would certainly love some optimistic science fiction, especially something as open to religious themes as Quantum leap (just haven’t been a big fan of reboots, sequels, etc of stuff I grew up on: again I make an exception if it is particularly inspired)

Remove ads