Quantum Leap Reboot (spoilers allowed)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is possible they might.

They might. I just said I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Personally I've always been a fan of shows that can do religious themes well (Babylon Five would be another show that really impressed me with how it handled religion).

Indeed. Remarkable in that the vast majority of it was written by JMS himself, who is an atheist.

I think it depends on how it's done, how well it serves the show, etc. Whether it is done from a theistic or non-theistic standpoint, I just find it makes for compelling programing for me.

Fair enough.

But.. it raises questions. Like, in the first series... if we say that Sam is guided by God, then apparently God only feels a need to fix things in the USA - the overwhelming majority of his leaps are in the US. He does leap outside the US at least once - to Vietnam, into "Magic", and American soldier, the guy who now runs the project in the reboot. Maybe there were other leaps into other countries, but for me to have missed or forgotten all of them says to me there could only be a handful.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Indeed. Remarkable in that the vast majority of it was written by JMS himself, who is an atheist.

Fair enough.

But.. it raises questions. Like, in the first series... if we say that Sam is guided by God, then apparently God only feels a need to fix things in the USA - the overwhelming majority of his leaps are in the US. He does leap outside the US at least once - to Vietnam, into "Magic", and American soldier, the guy who now runs the project in the reboot. Maybe there were other leaps into other countries, but for me to have missed or forgotten all of them says to me there could only be a handful.
I think that might have more to do with it being an American television show. They wanted folks to relate to American issues. Also, budget at the time probably wouldn't have allowed them to go globe trotting. Now, if I'm mistaken and they literally point out that the jumps are all American by Gods direction, then yeah that's pretty bad.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think that might have more to do with it being an American television show. They wanted folks to relate to American issues.

Oh, of course. In the late 80s and early 90s, few noticed that.

But the world has changed. Scifi has changed. We are more critical of media choices. We are apt to be very critical of media choices that involve religion. The personal faith of a character is actually usually fine. But if the show's mythology has heavy religious implications, we are apt to be critical.

Not saying it cannot be done. It can be, and has been, done. I'm saying it is a risk they may not be interested in taking.

Fair enough.

I agree with the above poster: it was more about it being an American show trying to focus on history the audience would be more familiar with at that time.

Ryujin

Legend
I agree with the above poster: it was more about it being an American show trying to focus on history the audience would be more familiar with at that time.
And like many shows it was aimed largely at the American Midwest, so that colours how things are presented.

payn

Im even more curious now about the time QL ran. Was television as global then as it is now?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Im even more curious now about the time QL ran. Was television as global then as it is now?

American produced TV in the 80s and early 90s was not known for its presentation of foreign lands or cultures, if that's what you mean.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm hoping it isn't a hand of god thing this time, though it is a sequel..... I've never understood how changing the past doesn't change the present, so I wonder if they'll get into that?

payn

American produced TV in the 80s and early 90s was not known for its presentation of foreign lands or cultures, if that's what you mean.
No, I meant was the outside of North American audience even considered as a market when writing and producing.

Remove ads