• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Quarterstaff, shield and polearm master

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The strange case of the quarterstaff.

Quarterstaff: 1d6 (versatile 1d8) + STR. Using with a one hand, you can apply the Fighting Style Dueling that gives +2 bonus to damage roll. In addition, it is possible to apply the Polearm Master feat, which makes you use your bonus action to make an extra attack.

The problem, in my view, is that you can use the combination of fighting style along with feat and shield. Compared to a greatsword, this combo gives 51.5 DPR (4d6+20+8+1d4+5+2 = 51,5) while a greatsword gives 52 DPR (both Fighter LVL 20).

"Hey, if I give a feat to make the quarterstaff better and don't do anything to make the greatsword better, they are almost the same damage."

Please try an actual apples to apples calculation.

Try at level 8 or 12, with quarterstaff doing less damage per hit and hitting less because the greatsword used that ASI for +2 STR. Or give greatsword a feat like GWM and watch it demolish the damage done by the quarterstaff against expected average ACs for the level.

The entire premise is based on a faulty foundation.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Here is an article from a HEMA instructor stating that, "arm-strapped shields also allow you to use the shield hand to hold things to some extent, such as the rungs of a siege ladder or the haft of a polearm."

How is using a shield strapped to your arm (heater shield/some rodella) different from using a center-grip shield (bucklers/Viking shield)?

There are more than a few Youtube videos demonstrating one handed techniques with the the quarterstaff or bo staff and one in particular by YouTuber Lindybeige that says many of the techniques with spear can be used with a quarterstaff.

Spear techniques for quarterstaff by Lindybeige (You can go back to 6:15 in the video to hear where he starts discussing progression from training in quarterstaff to spear).

One handed defense with quarterstaff (from the same video).

This maneuver could be done with an arm strapped shield in the left hand:
How To Fight With The Quarterstaff 12 – One Handed Blow

You may think quarterstaff and shield is an inefficient fighting style, but it shouldn't be a stretch that a pole arm master in a fantasy setting should be able to make it work. I so want to play a variant human druid with the pole arm master feat that wields a quarterstaff and shield now. ;)

Yeah, but there's a big difference between using something as a weapon and using it as a spellcaster focus.
But Movie Gandalf does hit orcs with his staff (with sword in other hand) in Return of the King.

I think the thing is, Gandalf's staff is not a quarterstaff - its shorter and a lot lighter.

This is another example of 5e trying to lump too many different things into one category of weapon.

Remove ads