• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Queen of the Demonweb Pits...anyone?

teitan

Legend
Psion said:
I think people are exaggerating that this is being exaggerated. ;)

Seriously, in the first thread, nobody even mentioned it until I asked about it because I heard about it somewhere else.

And yes, I brought it up in both threads (once to ask if it was true, here to verify).

But it's not as if I said "therefore this is a pile of trash; don't but it." But I certainly think it's worth mentioning.

Go to some other messageboards then. There are people proclaiming they aren't buying the book or anymore WOTC books because of this error!! WTF? An insignificant error in an otherwise EXCELLENT product. Not trying to sound sirly, typed it a bit feisty I did, sorry about that!!! LOL.

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
Felon said:
OK, just to clear folks, the cambion complaints are a tad overblown.

It's simply not that big a deal, because the errors are only in the section for creating a cambion PC. They don't affect the adeventure itself, and I don't know why discussion keeps returning to that as if it were some major indictment against EttDWP as a whole.

There's a lot of stuff that is harder to swallow, like the PC's blithely going along with Rule-of-Three's manipulations, or Rule-of-Three's confidence that screwing around with the PC's will yield some wonderful result.

I also don't know how much sense it makes for Graz to be screwing with Lolth when she's a goddess and he's a "mere" demon lord. They're not even playing in the same league, so unless he's got some really great scheme to usurp her power or deal her some vicious body blow, he should probably stick to scheming against Demogorgon, Orcus, and the rest of the gang.

I also gotta say that it annoys me that the "demon-quelling sword' and the lady's library are incuded in the prophecy, because they're both both pretty optional. Mentioning them in a prohecy gives the impression that they're vitally important.

In Greyhawk, Lolth is a demon queen and not a goddess. This is a Greyhawk adventure and sequel to a Greyhawk adventure.

teitan

Legend
daemonslye said:
The adventure takes some of the famous names from MM1/1E and MM2/1E (for example, Demogorgon, Yeenoghu, and Graz'zt) and converts them into "Aspects" killable by a party levels, 9-12.

Except they were killable by characters of those levels back then.

Felon

First Post
teitan said:
In Greyhawk, Lolth is a demon queen and not a goddess. This is a Greyhawk adventure and sequel to a Greyhawk adventure.
What are you going on about? Lolth is a goddess in D&D 3e, regardless of setting. Moreover, she is clearly mentioned as being a goddess within the adventure itself.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Lolth: goddess to demon to goddess

In Faerun it also stresses Lolths demotion to demon queen, before she invests heavily in getting herself worshipped by the drow and regains her divine power. The novel "Evermeet" by Elaine Cunningham has the best coverage of this:

"For what you have done, for what you have become, you are named tan-nari. Be what you are, and go where you must"

Psion

Adventurer
teitan said:

In current Greyhawk, what's core is Greyhawk.

In old school Greyhawk, there was no distinction. And I still think they were making a mistake muddying the waters by de-apotheosizing the archfiends (and it's getting muddier, as in more recent books, they are giving them deity-like stats like domains, etc.)

dcas

First Post
daemonslye said:
the progenitor super-module, Queen of Spiders by Gygax; Battle-heavy with style and some fun Cthulhu-esque flavor in parts).
I don't know what ground covered by GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders is covered by this latest module, but the finale of the GDQ series, Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits, was written by the late Dave Sutherland and not Gary Gygax.

Psion

Adventurer
teitan said:
Go to some other messageboards then. There are people proclaiming they aren't buying the book or anymore WOTC books because of this error!! WTF? An insignificant error in an otherwise EXCELLENT product. Not trying to sound sirly, typed it a bit feisty I did, sorry about that!!! LOL.

Dude, if I complained every time someone went off the handle on the WotC site... well, I'd have a lot of handle-flying-off to report.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads