D&D 4E Question about a 4E Monk and their skills or feats.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Oh, yeah. Samurai and Knights have very much in common. Slightly different equipment and techniques, but not even THAT much different there either. The Japanese didn't quite develop the extremes of plate armor, but then again most of the really 'full plate' stuff was for dress or tournament use anyway. Knights pretty much eschewed archery as a battlefield thing, and Samurai weren't so much into the idea of charging en-mass into close combat, but the basic core concept is the same.

Get your squire to swing that crossbow for you because its beneath you and the bow only for hutning
yes... where as there def where samurai who embraced the art of the bow even in battle.

I think both were notable chargers though, with an improved knockdown assault on their profiles and the like

Tony Vargas

Legend
European Knights I would argue at their peak were every bit like the Bushi/Samurai... including floridly described techniques quite related to the Eastern ones.
Sure, and the 'knight errant' and 'wu xia' are very similar, too.

The purely unarmed western combatants however I would call limited much as you say.
'Purely unarmed' was hardly a thing outside of "sports" and draconian laws against carrying weapons in the east, either. The pop culture perception of martial arts over-emphasizes the unarmed versions.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
'Purely unarmed' was hardly a thing outside of "sports" and draconian laws against carrying weapons in the east, either. The pop culture perception of martial arts over-emphasizes the unarmed versions.
Gotta admit legends and myths are part of the core of gaming.

Jhaelen

First Post
The pop culture perception of martial arts over-emphasizes the unarmed versions.
Plenty of oriental weapons clearly show their origin as farming (or other) tools. The development of combat styles around their use has also left a strong impression on our perception of eastern combatants.

Plenty of oriental weapons clearly show their origin as farming (or other) tools. The development of combat styles around their use has also left a strong impression on our perception of eastern combatants.

An equal number of western weapons likewise. I mean, when you get right down to it, MOST weapons are derived from tools, although the few that aren't tend to be the most iconic weapons of all (sword, spear, bow).

Remove ads