D&D 4E Question about a 4E Monk and their skills or feats.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not sure how being psionic helps borrow from other classes since in this case no psionic points were abused to make this class were they?
'abused?' ;) No, the Monk didn't use power points, but, it was nominally psionic, so it'd make sense to tap other psionic classes for 'ki powers,' since ki implies the Psionic keyword. It'd mainly be for the keyword, only, since the mechanics of Monks (Full Disciplines, ki foci) vs other psionic classes (power points, augment) are entirely different.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
'abused?' ;) No, the Monk didn't use power points, but, it was nominally psionic, so it'd make sense to tap other psionic classes for 'ki powers,' since ki implies the Psionic keyword.

Yes I chose the word on purpose

It'd mainly be for the keyword, only, since the mechanics of Monks (Full Disciplines, ki foci) vs other psionic classes (power points, augment) are entirely different.

Not sure psionic flavor actually does accurately fit KI/CHI, ... Ki relates to disciplined application of body/life force and the mightiest practitioners are often portraid as very hard to kill uber high con in D&D land. It's related to breathing control and only mind in so much as it is mind over matter of the body.

These KI powers that are blasts and things are meant to be a turning that life force outward.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not sure psionic flavor actually does accurately fit KI/CHI, ... Ki relates to disciplined application of body/life force ...It's related to breathing control and only mind in so much as it is mind over matter of the body.
I wasn't thrilled with the implied equivalency, either, just thinking of working within it.

I think it would be at least as reasonable for the Monk to be grouped into the Martial source. Either way would scrub ki of the cultural (theft?) connotations. Though, martial, ki, psionics, even 'mutant powers,' are arguably a superset - power that comes from developing innate ability. As opposed to science/technology manipulating your environment, or magic overriding it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I wasn't thrilled with the implied equivalency, either, just thinking of working within it.

I think it would be at least as reasonable for the Monk to be grouped into the Martial source. Either way would scrub ki of the cultural (theft?) connotations.
Given how likely one is to have/want a Samurai (perfectly construct-able within martial) pulling Ki stunts, i think that is a significant argument for KI being Martial in itself. And secondarily for the unarmed martial artist class being ahem Martial.

At the moment other than the fire monk.... I have yet to find anything not Martial in the monk class.

Though, martial, ki, psionics, even 'mutant powers,' are arguably a superset - power that comes from developing innate ability. As opposed to science/technology manipulating your environment, or magic overriding it.

And that I have seen D&D land seems to call Clock Work constructs Arcane or Alchemical

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This is a fighter power I made with the flavor of Ki emphasized... actually the only thing new about it is the flavor and the scaling (given the level 5 competition its still not over valuable with the scaling added)

GreaterQiChannelling.png

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Either way would scrub ki of the cultural (theft?) connotations.

They would have once and for all established culture as a flavor difference ie... removed both the potential glorification and degradation over flavor.... by maintaining the cultural difference is mostly flavor.

I do not think cultural appropriation is the term you are looking for (and that is kind of its own sort of nonsense for a different discussion altogether)

MwaO

Adventurer
If you go to compendium, go to powers, pick Type: Monk, Kind: Attack, and put into the search block 'blast', then hit apply, there are about 17 Monk powers that show up. Many from Heroes of Elemental Chaos.

Just refluff

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
ye old dragon ball z classic chi "wave" is more like a 1 square wide but long beam with lots of colateral destruction and everything its path gets hit and pushed back or aside ... a bit like a wall

I am inclined to say it also gets a boost when performed by a bloodied attacker

Last edited:

Remove ads