Question about Blinded Condition

beldar1215

Explorer
Hello All,
Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something when it comes to the Blinded condition. It appears that it does not effect your movement in any way. Is this correct? It would seem that it should cause more problem with movement.

Beldar

Blizzardb

First Post
You didn't miss anything, as written it does not affect movement. If this bothers you, you could make a houserule that cuts the speed of blinded creatures in half, like in 3E. Personally I don't think this is necessary, although I find it a bit weird when a blinded character moves confidently through areas he has not even seen before :)

Camelot

Adventurer
If you're fighting in a room and become blinded, you can probably judge where you are since you've seen the layout of the room, so movement doesn't become a problem.

If you are blinded for an extended period, however, and are travelling from room to room, then you probably have friends to guide you and shout (as a free action) where you are and where to move.

If you are alone and blind, then movement becomes an issue. But it's best left to be a roleplaying issue for the player.

The situation that movement when blinded would be an issue probably rarely comes up, which is why it was omitted from 4e.

the Jester

Legend
An interesting approach might be to not let the blinded player look at the Battlemat, but instead force him to navigate through the room based on what others tell them and their memory of the layout, i.e. "I'm moving forward 15'!" and someone else moves their mini.

Skallgrim

First Post
I use the perception checks that the character would make for locating the enemy, and make the player use them to locate "their path". The "passive steath" value I use is generated on the fly based on where they are trying to go.

Going directly away from the roaring monster? Pretty easy.

Moving between the stone columns, while a battle rages? Much harder.

If they fail the perception check, they move randomly (or semirandomly). If they were fighting a monster in melee, they know not to move that way, but they might not move to exactly where they wanted to be either.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
You could probably make it as complicated as you want but the rules are pretty clear:

If you're blind, you take -5 to attack with melee and ranged attacks.

If someone attempts to hide with a stealth check, you have to guess their square, but this is rarely going to come up.

Really, it's just the -5 and that's enough for me.

mostholy2

First Post
An interesting approach might be to not let the blinded player look at the Battlemat, but instead force him to navigate through the room based on what others tell them and their memory of the layout, i.e. "I'm moving forward 15'!" and someone else moves their mini.
That is a hilarious solution. Or as soon as someone becomes blinded you could have him go to the other room with his character on a blank battlemat. Then he has to do movement and actions of his character based on what he thinks he remembers. If he makes perception checks, you could fill in the battlemap of allies and enemies around him.

Dr_Sage

First Post
My personal approach

My opinions about the conditions:

Conditions are not exact matches of their meanings in the common english language.

- Immobilized is not really immobilized. You can move your body and even attack.

- Slowed isn't really slowed in real life, considering your arms are unaffected. No attack penalty at all.

- Blinded is not really blinded. I like the sunglare idea, or just a temporary stuff in the eye. If not.. how could you use Blinding Barrage to Blind a Ghost?

My approach of REAL LIFE BLINDNESS, if somehow your character was completelty deprived of vision somehow:

-> Blind + Dazed + Slowed permanently.

Remove ads