Question about Experience and Leveling

iserguy

Explorer
Hello, I have just started running the Zeitgeist adventure for my group of friends, and have one quick question. I notice that towards the beginning of the first adventure it mentions that the players should be level two by the end of the adventure, but I don't see any other mention of how the book expects me to dole out experience. I can just tell my players that they are level two at the end of the adventure, if that is what is expected, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, and wanted to ask if the adventure books going forward make this same assumption, and tell me when my players should level up? If someone could clear that up for me, I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

Yes, we basically assumed GMs would handle the leveling of their groups as needed. If people want to add side-quests, they can, as long as the group is high enough level to handle the challenges.

iserguy

Explorer
Ok, so is it safe to assume that the other adventure books moving forward give some indication of when a level up would be appropriate? I have not purchased, or subscribed yet (waiting to see how the first adventure goes, and possibly holding out for the physical compilation). I don't necessarily need to run things strictly, as far as when and how they level up, but I am curious as to whether there are suggestions, like there were in the start of the first adventure book, in the books moving forward.

Yes. Some of the later adventures are a bit open in the middle, so for instance we might say, "The party should reach level 3 before they head up to Cauldron Hill, and level 4 some time after the Dawn Square scene but before the adventure's climax."

iserguy

Explorer
Wonderful. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I am really excited to experience more of the campaign, we just got to the fortress on the island in the first adventure last night. Everyone is really enjoying it!

Bruize

First Post
Personally, I don't mind not having to do all that record keeping but my players sometimes bug me for their exp totals. I just MSU (Make :):):):) Up). As long as they hit the appropriate level around the correct time, they don't know the difference. It's handy because in between modules, I usually throw them a side quest relating to their background or even during the module they might have an encounter that drudges up their past and it doesn't throw things off.

Example, our Dwarf Fighter ran into his estranged wife and child when the PCs entered Trekhom (I think that was it). After we finish up Always on Time, i'm going to give them a face to face meeting within LeBrix (whom they desperately want to kill) but they will be interrupted by an enemy they made along the way. So much fun.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Personally, I don't mind not having to do all that record keeping but my players sometimes bug me for their exp totals. I just MSU (Make :):):):) Up). As long as they hit the appropriate level around the correct time, they don't know the difference. It's handy because in between modules, I usually throw them a side quest relating to their background or even during the module they might have an encounter that drudges up their past and it doesn't throw things off.

Example, our Dwarf Fighter ran into his estranged wife and child when the PCs entered Trekhom (I think that was it). After we finish up Always on Time, i'm going to give them a face to face meeting within LeBrix (whom they desperately want to kill) but they will be interrupted by an enemy they made along the way. So much fun.

Why do they want to kill Le Brix?

Bruize

First Post
Why do they want to kill Le Brix?

Apparently I played him up as a giant douchecanoe and did such a good job that not only did they spend the entire adventure trying to prove he was guilty of the girl's murder but I've spent time in every module since with some random NPCs trying to convince the players that he's really not a bad guy. In Always on Time, I had Damata mention that he'd met LeBrix a time or two in passing and that he seemed a little up tight but ok otherwise. They players leveraged their assistance with Damata's problem in order to get some face time with LeBrix.

I'm now expecting the meet-n-greet to become a meet-n-beat and will have to find a creative reason that prevents their ability to kill him...that or let them kill him and then get resurrected with a major grudge by the blood witch that screwed them over when 2 PCs died. That last option totally sounds like something I'd do.

ediz

Explorer
This is funny as hell. Lebrix admits to killing Nilesa anyway. Case solved.

What I really like about adventure two is greyness of it all. On the one hand, Nilesa shouldn't have been there in the first place, so she got what she deserved. Lebrix is probably one of the better or good characters. This AP is full of nuance and I love it. I try to keep my players to have an open mind, and don't assume the elves are good... ;)

Remove ads