Question about Magic Circle spells

bret

First Post
If a defending spellcaster casts a Magic Circle spell (such as Magic Circle against Evil), this normally protects against summoned creatures.

Does everyone who is within the radius gain the benefits of the spell, or does it only benefit the creature it is centered on? The spell refers to Protection from Evil which only protects one creature, and there is nothing that directly states it protects more people. Is there something in the spell that I'm missing which indicates it protects multiple people?

What happens if an opponent summons a creature within the radius of the spell? Assume that the Magic Circle was not cast to trap a creature. The defender didn't force the barrier against the creature, yet the creature is inside the protective circle.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
bret said:
If a defending spellcaster casts a Magic Circle spell (such as Magic Circle against Evil), this normally protects against summoned creatures.

Does everyone who is within the radius gain the benefits of the spell, or does it only benefit the creature it is centered on?
Everyone within the 10 ft. emanation.

The spell refers to Protection from Evil which only protects one creature, and there is nothing that directly states it protects more people. Is there something in the spell that I'm missing which indicates it protects multiple people?
Yes. First, the spell is not just targeted on a creature, but emanates 10 ft. from the creature touched. Second, it says specifically that it encompasses a much larger area. Thirdly, the fourth paragraph describing larger creatures who take up the whole area as just affecting them implies that if they were not as large, the spell could affect others. Taking all this together makes a strong argument that the spell affects everyone within its emanation.

What happens if an opponent summons a creature within the radius of the spell? Assume that the Magic Circle was not cast to trap a creature. The defender didn't force the barrier against the creature, yet the creature is inside the protective circle.
I don't know. Perhaps the FAQ addresses this question. I would say that the spell either fails or the summoned creature must move out of the circle unless it has SR and the spell fails the caster level check. I would use the latter without any direction from the Sage to do otherwise.

Remove ads