• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about powers with damage in 2 parts

tiornys

Explorer
If we argue fluff though you could say that the weapon is the swordmage's focus for creating the field of sound thus it becomes an implement attack.

That indeed does help, and I'm guessing damage bonuses only get added on damage rolls as opposed to static damage? So if a sorcerer spell had something that had something like:

Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier acid damage, and the target takes acid damage equal to your Strength modifier at the start of its next turn.

(With Str and Cha mod of +4 and additional bonuses +4)

2d10 + 8 damage, secondary effect: 4 damage

Am I reading that correctly?
Yes, you are reading that correctly.

t~

DreamChaser

Explorer
Swordmage powers use swords as both weapons and implements, so just because it's not doing some multiple of [w] doesn't mean it shouldn't benefit from the sword's enhancement bonus.

I say #1.

This would only be true if the power had both the weapon **and** implement keywords.

If it does, then I would go option #1
If it doesn't, then I would go option #2

This could be overturned if there were a precedent of a Weapon keyword power that instead of dealing [w] damage as it's primary damage dealt a fixed damage die. I don't think there is but if there were it would clarify things.

DC

DracoSuave

First Post
The enhancement bonus of a weapon applies to all damage rolls made with powers that weapon is used with. Weapon Focus is the same way.

The rule is not specific on whether the power has the weapon or implement keywords. All it asks is 'Is this item the accessory for a power? Yes? Are you rolling damage? Yes? Then apply the bonus.'

There are only two occasions that I know off the top of my head where this is not the case:

1) The bonus in question refers to weapon attacks/powers. This means 'a power/attack with the weapon keyword' and does not mean the same thing as 'attacks with this weapon.' The first is refering to the foo power rule where attacks with keyword foo are foo powers. The second is merely refering to an accessory which happens to be a weapon.

In this case, you do not apply that bonus to Implement attacks. It -would- however, apply to booming blade's secondary damage, because it IS a weapon attack.

2) The bonus in question refers to weapon damage. Weapon damage refers to exactly one thing: The [W], and is a stat that weapons have. 'Damage with this weapon' is not the same thing, and is merely meaning 'Damage dealt with this accessory.'

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads