ZEITGEIST Question about starting Zeitgeist

jacktannery

Explorer
Here's the item block for the golden icon without the spoiler about the axis seal

Golden Icon Avilona.png

EDIT: and the other two.

Icon_Nem.png Icon_Urim.png

Last edited:

jacktannery

Explorer
Campaign Updates - Adventure 1 Act 2.

- PCs took control of the Special Infiltration team and died instantly in the tunnel collapse. I'm not sure that giving the PCs the infiltrator stats was a good idea in hindsight - felt a bit gotcha.

- PCs took burton back to the ship after freeing him by amputating his leg. Having spotted the sharks,they seemed to want to give up at this point. I pushed and they started to make crazy plans to distract the sharks.

- Eventually they arrived at the Sea Cave encounter, which I think went really well. A few rounds of combat (which was quite crazy - I'd advise all GMs & players to read up on the errata'd swimming/treading water/ climbing rules before the combat starts as PCs begin the encounter in 10-feet of water) followed by negotiations. The PCs really liked Dupiers, and had quite a long chat. They asked if they could borrow the Air Icon(Dupiers relented) and then tried to borrow the shadow and earth icons. He gave them the shadow icon, unhappily (and only because they had killed his shadow-creature) but he kept the earth one.

- Dupiers agreed to take the PCs to meet the other miners who had fled to the refinery facility down the hill. On route they stumbled across the mass grave of the miners. Abit of investigation and shock and Dupiers was very angry. Out pops miner Pierre, the lone survivor, railing against Risur and explaining about the Dryads. He tells PCs that the Risuri army had raided the facility but that a group of refugees led by the Danori rebel commander Napoleon is hiding in the jungle - he can take them there.Napoleon is trying to make contact with another group of refugees and the Archaeological Society from the workshop down south.

- Dupiers returns to the mine and Pierre leads the PCs down to the abandoned facility, which has a Risuri rebel guard squad searching it for WMD, led by Investigator Hans Blicks. PCs decided to ambush them to capture and question them(Pierre was enthusiastic) and I decided to allow them to do this instantly with no dice rolls by losing 1 surge each, so that worked.They questioned Blicks, a loyal Risuri military man who was not forthe turning, even if the Duchess was working against the king, and would not give them the gate codes for the Fort. They found his codesheet and translated the codes anyway (I attach the codesheet), so now they know the codeword and the changeling in the party memorised his identity. They left the Risuri military men tied up (having stolen the uniforms) but unharmed.

- Pierre tried to lead them to the Danori rebel camp again, where the PCs intended to raise an army to storm the Fort/create a diversion, but then they realised it was in the opposite direction, so they decided to change their plan. After an argument about politics with Pierre, they parted ways and headed off alone to the fort.

- Encounter with reality fluctuation -this went really well. PCs terrified. Remembered about Burton saying things about a swamp and purple sky, and calling it home, so they realised that this alternate reality must be where goblins are originally from! Somehow they think the mystery of Axis is connected to Burton. Attaching a .png I made of the swamp.

- Encounter with trapped wagon.perceived the trap and avoided it carefully. Encounter with colossus going well so far except that they all rolled imitative and intend to fight it I think!

- here is the online game link: http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54669&date=1369711495

- Overall: going excellently so far and am loving this adventure; thank you EN Publishing!

Bluesun.png

Codes.jpg

jacktannery

Explorer
They did consider trying to hit the colossus to make it change direction and drive it into either the trapped wagon, or else Axis Fort, but it was too powerful and they were too slow. Shame. Overall the random encounters on the way to the fort were a really great touch and added a lot to the adventure - to think they only take up half a page yet are my favourite bit so far!

Here is a map of Axis Fort with all the labels removed for players, and the map I am giving them when as they first approach.

Axis Fort unlabelled.jpgAxis Fort unlabelled2.jpg

jacktannery

Explorer
Finished Adventure 1!
The module was finished and now we are about to begin Adventure 2.

Overall I feel Axis at the Centre of the World is the best module I have ever run as a DM of several decades' experience. I have no direct feedback from the players, but they all seemed to enjoy it and are looking forward to the second adventure.

I would echo other GMs observations that the combats are too easy, and recommend future GMs to increase the tension of these a little bit. Otherwise I have nothing but praise.

In the last scene, my PCs totally forgot about their Wand of Magic Missiles (provided by Massarde when they saved the coaltongue), and literally threw everything they had at the eladrin warrior (trying to execute the duchess and kidnap Nathan and flee) but everything just bounced off. Then our psion realised he had the (almost) perfect power: a daily that attacked one target then caused auto-damage to one adjacent target. So he attacked Nathan and killed Asrabey indirectly - but the outcome was that this destroyed the mind of Nathan Jierre forever, and he is now holed up in a mental asylum in Flint. The RHC were not terribly impressed and Saxby got all the credit.

Newspaper Saxby.jpg

I made some handouts for my players for adventure 2:

Remove ads