ZEITGEIST Question about starting Zeitgeist

Ajar

Explorer
Those are some seriously compound questions! I think the third question was three in one.

Your responses are awesome, though. I've been slacking a bit lately on doing cool stuff for my PCs, I need to step up my game.

helixfire

First Post
I had just picked up this adventure path for pathfinder recently but I'm noticing a towering amount of removed races and wondering which ones does this adventure path use and why some arent really mentioned much baring a few npcs.

The ones I've noticed have been so far.
Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Aasimar(Eladrin), Tieflings, Gnomes, Half elves, half orcs, half dragons, minotaurs.

Am I missing any? I'm trying to reason out what the PCs could choose from within the realm of the game and if they have any type of position inside the gameworld. So far I think I've seen a single gnome. Elves seem to be half in and half out, for theres enough for being a race driven to extinction.

Also I dont recall seeing a city stat block anywhere which could seriously help trying to flesh out the country/city they start in.

We don't explicitly remove any races; we just don't mention many that aren't in the core rulebook. If you wanted catfolk, they're probably native to Elfaivar or maybe the woods of Risur. Duergar -- maybe they're up in Drakr somewhere. Grippli -- probably in the High Bayou of Risur, or maybe in the Malice Lands.

Basically, anything can fit somewhere, but we didn't want to force groups to include things if they weren't using them.

Also, in the Expanded Player's Guide (and the revised versions of the adventures that are coming for the hardcover) we tweaked the races a bit to get consistent naming between the 4e and PF versions. Basically we added two new races for PF. The 'high elves' are now 'eladrin,' an offshoot from the elf race with their own distinct powers. 'Aasimar' are instead 'devas' -- aasimar never quite fit, and we used them as kind of a kludge for a race that's similar to samsarans. But samsarans still don't quite fit, so we made up devas.

Elves are distinct from eladrin. Elves are still around and doing fine (though they don't have any nations of their own, but rather exist integrated with Risur). Eladrin are the race that lost all its women.

helixfire

First Post
Thank you for the timely response!

I suppose I was not seeing the difference because of reading the PF version rather than the 4e one. I thought all elves were near extinction (which as a elf hater I rejoiced) but this will make a few players somewhat happy and puts it in perspective where these elves keep sprouting up from.

The main thing I was trying to understand is what races have been or might be mentioned in the future for common humanoids. Sounds most like an eberron type of scenario where all the races for the most part intermingle.

Now just have to convince the player who wants to be a dark brooding kitsune with murdered parents and some special powers that before he chooses to be a movie character he should try to develop a somewhat realistic being to role play. I'm a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to special snowflakes.

Last edited:

jacktannery

Explorer
A few more handouts for Adventure 2 (they are supposed to be handwritten in the adventure of course):
-papers found in the warehouse 'Screams and Security'
-two letters owned by the dragonborn brothers 'Factory Aflame'

Dawn Square Lab Papers.jpg

LetterMM2.jpg

LetterMM1.jpg

jacktannery

Explorer
Update on our game at[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54669&date=1401105890[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Stillon Adventure 2 Dying Skyseer, and things are coming together a littlebit on the fifth day of the adventure.[/FONT]

- 4 PCs go to dawn square and findwarehouse, fight the golem, removing his control mechanism, butdecide he's far too powerful and instead run away (those epic battlesin adventure 1 have scared them obviously).
- the other PC tracks down the escapeddragonborn brother to his secret hideout, sneaks in, steals hisletters, and blows the place up, then rejoins the others at dawnsquare.
-the golem goes out of control and thePCs lure it through Flint to the canal, lasso it and drag it into thecanal where it finally dies.
- the dragonborn brother's letters arehanded to Delft, but of course they are poisoned and delft's eyes arehorribly burned - he is now blind and in hospital.
- Based on evidence in warehouse, PCsdecide that someone in Mayor Macbannin's entourage is the 'Bleak GateKiller' and the big bad.
- in Dawn Square the rally starts. PCsget Gale to summon some canaries to help Nevard, and they getHarkover Lee to blow up the fountain because they are suspicious ofits rusty iron circular form.
- there's a fight with the skeletonsand the jaguars. This turns out to be a little too easy and Nevardlives to make his speech.
-next off to the House Elf andWareye's. Excellent diplomacy gets Danisca onside and her husbandflees.
- at the bayou house the PCs (with twoboats and a squad of marines) ambush and defeat Doern and thesailors, then take their boat and head off to the secret rendezvousdisguised as family contacts.
-at the rendezvous their plan goes sourwhen they don't know the secret codes, so the smugglers abandon theoperation and turn around. PCs catch and board the enemy ship. Nowthey plan on returning it to near Flint, getting the crew off and injail, then sinking it (for Kell, who doen't want it impounded andreturned to the Clergy).

jacktannery

Explorer
Our Skyseer has a new set of vision questions today:

1. What dangers await us when we go to investigate Macbannin's manor and how can we circumvent them?

2. If we meet with Kell to get the information he promised, will he double-cross us, and how can we avoid falling into a trap?

3. If we enter the Bleak Gate, what challenges will we face and how can we best prepare for them?

Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable responses?

EDIT: came up with these:

vision1.jpg

vision2.jpg

vision3.jpg

Last edited:

I really like your Kell answer.

For the third one, perhaps add something to suggest they won't be going to the Bleak Gate quite yet. Maybe just put a literal 'cloud' filter over the image, so it's still legible but barely. That would reflect what Nevard has said about having a hard time seeing things. (Or more humorously, 'Reply hazy, try again later.')

Oh and Jack, I don't recall if I ever shared the updated statblock for Macbannin to make him a bit more of a challenge. Are you doing 4e or PF? The short version is that I let him use a version of 'bonds of forced faith' so all the damage to him is dealt to the house staff first.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases