question about the tavern rules

siskon

First Post
Perhaps this is not the place for this thread... If so, please move this to the right position. It has been recently brought to my attention that perhaps my character is in violation of the rules of the tavern. Siskon is a dragon, and I do have that listed in his description. However, 90% of the time (all the time when he's in the tavern) he is in a humanoid appearance. The question arises I suppose from this humanoid appearance. He's average size for a human, with black hair and rather plain clothing. However, he does have maroon colored skin and no pupils in his eyes (which are also reddish). I guess my question is... "is that in violation of the rules of the tavern?" The rules as written state that there should be no obvious difference...well, I might be stupid to think so...but isn't maroon sin and pupilless eyes rather....unique? I haven't seen many (any) other humans/humanoids with that appearance. Thanks ahead of time . Oh, also, one other thing...if he wasn't average size, would that make a difference? Like if he was much bigger or had excessively large claws or something? Thanks again

player of Siskon and all manner of evilness.... as well as maker of a good punch

Lily

First Post
Coc

Siskon's eyes would not be a violation of the COC, but the skin can technically be one. The reason why the term used to describe what is ideal in the CRT is humaniod, is they generally want persons to appear human. Humans do not have maroon skin tones. Yes, while it is unique, it is not 'normal'.

While the CRT/Oerth room have strict rules. There are other rooms on En World available that Siskon can be played how he was truely created and no in disguise (I.E. The Bazaar, Planescape setting). I realize that people normally do not RP in those rooms, but if more people started to take advantage of these rooms in no time would they be as populated as the Oerth rooms (CRT/Clearing/Garden). The Magi have tried extremely hard to offer several options to the players. Now as players we should take these opportunities to play in these various settings.

Last edited:

Jeajea

First Post
What I hope is that under use of certain rooms will not result in their removal... I like the plethora of rooms. I think the site has less people on it than it could have, though.

That's a digression. With respect to Siskon possibly being in violation of the rules, I have this to say. The rule in particular that is being sited is the setting specific one - as Lily said, you can simply elect to play your character in another room. The reason for the rule is just that dragons would not be found in the CRT, and although it is easy in practise to bring a dragon there, they simply wouldn't go there. To give each room a distinctive feel, rather than them all just being different places to play, setting specific rules have been made and should be obeyed. In the end, this will result in a richer gaming experience for everyone.

Viola.

~Jea

Magi_Siani

First Post
Lily and Jeajea have pretty well covered it. What you are referring to is setting specific to the Tavern and its environs. Other settings have different rules for such things.

To be more specific yet, maroon skin would attract a lot of hostile attention....being connected to something not within acceptable bounds and probably infernal. So disguise it with clothing and gloves, or magic and please note it as being such in the description so we can see you've stayed within the rules. You can allow glimpses to those you are speaking closely to, but be prepared if they decide to out you as something suspicious.

As for size, it's not in and of itself a problem beyond a certain point. Giants and so on can't come inside. The ceilings are 14 feet high. Nothing taller than that. Also, the Staff can decide that a certain size character takes up too much space or causes too much disturbance to remain even if they fit and so can ask them to depart. But handled correctly it isn't a serious trouble.

A General comment for other folk:

While I am on the subject of Tavern rules, attacks on people in the Garden are not allowed. Only the Clearing may be used for such. Nor may the Garden be used as a feeding area for undead or other such types as prey on humans. It's just outside the Tavern itself, and is on the Tavern grounds...it belongs to Siani as much as the Tavern does.

I have no quarrel with such creatures being there according to the rules, but the attacking and feeding doesn't belong there. Take it to the Clearing please.

Siani

Babylon Logos

First Post
Magi_Siani said:
As for size, it's not in and of itself a problem beyond a certain point. Giants and so on can't come inside. The ceilings are 14 feet high. Nothing taller than that. Also, the Staff can decide that a certain size character takes up too much space or causes too much disturbance to remain even if they fit and so can ask them to depart. But handled correctly it isn't a serious trouble.

Hehe, well then. A Forest Giant could fit. If she wanted to crick her neck by keeping it tilted down. Max height for them is only about seventeen to eighteen feet. But that's beside the point. More just a random thought I had to post. Besides, I have no clue why a Forest Giant would be in Ford Keep anyhow . . . Unless they needed a vacation from the woods.

Remove ads