Question for Nicolas Logue re: Wolves of Maldeen

Vayden

First Post
Hey Mr. Logue, if you're out there, I just wanted to say awesome job with the latest Dragon article. Upon reading it, I decided my Elf Ranger needs to multi-class into Warlord so that he can become a Packmaster. I just have one question about the 11th level feature:

Maldeen’s Hunt (11th level): You gain a +5 bonus to Perception checks to track creatures, and you and your allies can cover 5 miles an hour overland. When you end your movement 2 squares from an enemy, you can shift 1 square as a free action.

What exactly is the intent of this feature? In the flavor, it sounds like it's part of closing in on and destroying your target, but if you end exactly 2 squares away, you can't close in by shifting one square. On the other hand, if it means "end your movement within 2 squares of an enemy", which is how I'm thinking it's meant to be read, then you have a great "okay, you got up into melee risking yourself, have a little extra maneuverability" feature. Is that how it's supposed to read? Otherwise I can only see my character using it to end 2 squares away from enemy A, then shift to close on/flank enemy B, which doesn't seem like the flavor of it.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
If you are 2 squares away from something, shifting 1 square gets you adjacent. Adjacent is 1 square away, not 0. So, effectively, you can avoid 10 ft. threatening reach, Polearm Gambit, and the like, while still closing in to melee range.

At least that's how I interpret it.

Dausuul

Legend
Vayden said:
Hey Mr. Logue, if you're out there, I just wanted to say awesome job with the latest Dragon article. Upon reading it, I decided my Elf Ranger needs to multi-class into Warlord so that he can become a Packmaster. I just have one question about the 11th level feature:

Maldeen’s Hunt (11th level): You gain a +5 bonus to Perception checks to track creatures, and you and your allies can cover 5 miles an hour overland. When you end your movement 2 squares from an enemy, you can shift 1 square as a free action.

What exactly is the intent of this feature? In the flavor, it sounds like it's part of closing in on and destroying your target, but if you end exactly 2 squares away, you can't close in by shifting one square. On the other hand, if it means "end your movement within 2 squares of an enemy", which is how I'm thinking it's meant to be read, then you have a great "okay, you got up into melee risking yourself, have a little extra maneuverability" feature. Is that how it's supposed to read? Otherwise I can only see my character using it to end 2 squares away from enemy A, then shift to close on/flank enemy B, which doesn't seem like the flavor of it.

I think the intent is that one square away from your enemy equals adjacent, two squares equals a single square in between you. To think of it another way, if the enemy could hit you with a close burst X, then you are within X squares.

My question is, what the heck is this path doing with an alignment requirement? I thought those went out with 3E. (Yes, yes, I know, I can house-rule it out of my game - and believe me, I am. But I'd like to know why someone thought it was a good idea to have this requirement in the first place.)

Vayden

First Post
Dausuul said:
I think the intent is that one square away from your enemy equals adjacent, two squares equals a single square in between you. (To think of it another way, if the enemy could hit you with a close burst X, then you are within X squares.)

Hmm - I guess that makes sense. Stupid question retracted.

My question is, what the heck is this path doing with an alignment requirement? I thought those went out with 3E.

Dude, you know you're going to house-rule that out anyway when we use it. Besides, with all that flavor text about fighting evil and tyranny and operating outside the laws, if you're using the Wolves as an NPC group who can give you access to this Paragon path, it totally makes sense.

(Not that it matters since you're house-ruling it away, but I think my character's take on lawful good (only worrying about the laws of my barbarian tribe) works fine with the flavor of this.)

Dausuul

Legend
Vayden said:
Besides, with all that flavor text about fighting evil and tyranny and operating outside the laws, if you're using the Wolves as an NPC group who can give you access to this Paragon path, it totally makes sense.

It makes sense that they have to think you're of good alignment. :)

I reserve the right to have the Wolves infiltrated by an evil mastermind.

kclark

First Post
I think the intent is to move towards a creature stop 2 squares away and then shift as a free action next to it and attack. You can net an extra square of movement with this ability if you happen to be one square to far to just move up to it normally.
This really use is against monsters with threatening reach as it eliminates it's OA on you as you move in to attack.

On rereading it you can also when you are meleeing a critter shift away 1 square and then use this ability to shift another square. Pretty nice way of scooting around the battlefield safely.

Nlogue

First Post
kclark said:
I think the intent is to move towards a creature stop 2 squares away and then shift as a free action next to it and attack. You can net an extra square of movement with this ability if you happen to be one square to far to just move up to it normally.
This really use is against monsters with threatening reach as it eliminates it's OA on you as you move in to attack.

On rereading it you can also when you are meleeing a critter shift away 1 square and then use this ability to shift another square. Pretty nice way of scooting around the battlefield safely.

Yep! Remember "shift" doesn't have to be toward an enemy. It's a free square.

Thanks for the kind words on the article!

Oh, and nice call on the mastermind infiltrating the Wolves! Though it'd be hard to do, someone who pulled that off could indeed get this path!

Though, you could argue that the abilities require a sort of "spirit of selflessness" not found among Evil characters.

But ultimately I dig on house-ruling away the alignment restriction.

Now. Get out there and fight evil Wolves! :)

I hope you enjoy Vor Kragal too! Coming out soon!

Tervin

First Post
Vayden said:
When you end your movement 2 squares from an enemy, you can shift 1 square as a free action.
My problems with that sentence:
:1: Does it mean that the closest enemy has to be 2 squares away, or can you use it if you are adjacent to one enemy and two squares away from another?
:2: Does "end your movement" mean finish a move action, or end your movement for that round?

The article is fine otherwise, but I think rules text needs to written as clearly as possible.

Remove ads