D&D 5E Question for those that use the Gritty Realism rest variant from the DMG.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The gritty realism rest variant:
Short rest 8 hours;
Long rest 7 days.

What do you do with races that have a shortened long rest (Elves are the obvious example as they require only 4 hours, but there are also a few that have a 6 hour long rest)?

Is that benefit just ignored, or are there other compensations?

What about spells like Catnap that provide for a 10 minute short rest?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Short rest 8 hours;
Long rest 7 days.

What do you do with races that have a shortened long rest (Elves are the obvious example as they require only 4 hours, but there are also a few that have a 6 hour long rest)?

The benefits aren't ignored. They just aren't applicable for healing, power recharges, etc.

Instead, they are applicable for things like guard/watch rotations at night.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What about spell durations? They seem largely based on the idea of a 24-hour adventuring day, but if you only get a long rest after a week, shouldn't durations be multiplied by 7 as well?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
What about spell durations? They seem largely based on the idea of a 24-hour adventuring day, but if you only get a long rest after a week, shouldn't durations be multiplied by 7 as well?

I think the whole point is to have spells be a significantly more rare and precious resource. Rather than increasing durations, casters have to be that much more careful about when and how often they cast spells.

Oofta

Legend
Elves only need 4 hours to rest overnight, which is a short rest. All spells with a duration of 30 minutes or more have their duration multiplied by 4.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Short rest 8 hours;
Long rest 7 days.

Well, in the PHB, the Trance feature says elves get “the same benefit humans do from 8 hours of sleep,” which if this variant rule is in play, means a short rest. Of course, the Astral Elves and 1D&D playtest elves have a different wording on Trance, which does in fact specify that you can finish a long rest in 4 hours. So, assuming that’s going to be the standard wording going forward, the variant rest rules will probably also have to account for it. To preserve the current functionality, I think the best choice would be to have Trance allow elves to finish a short rest in 4 hours instead of a long rest.
I think that should work ok as written, since it still costs a spell slot, which take a week to recover under this variant rule. Just don’t give it to Warlocks - which I think is also good advice with the standard resting rules.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Well, in the PHB, the Trance feature says elves get “the same benefit humans do from 8 hours of sleep,” which if this variant rule is in play, means a short rest. Of course, the Astral Elves and 1D&D playtest elves have a different wording on Trance, which does in fact specify that you can finish a long rest in 4 hours. So, assuming that’s going to be the standard wording going forward, the variant rest rules will probably also have to account for it. To preserve the current functionality, I think the best choice would be to have Trance allow elves to finish a short rest in 4 hours instead of a long rest.

I think that should work ok as written, since it still costs a spell slot, which take a week to recover under this variant rule. Just don’t give it to Warlocks - which I think is also good advice with the standard resting rules.

I think a lot will change in the 2024 revision. The way things look, almost ALL mechanics are going to a long rest recharge. Short rests are being relegated, more and more to just a quick healing recharge.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think the whole point is to have spells be a significantly more rare and precious resource. Rather than increasing durations, casters have to be that much more careful about when and how often they cast spells.
Ah. I thought gritty realism was more for making games more realistic, so people can't full heal after sleeping for 8 hours. I've heard others postulate it as a nerf to casters, but I didn't think that was the specific intent.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Ah. I thought gritty realism was more for making games more realistic, so people can't full heal after sleeping for 8 hours. I've heard others postulate it as a nerf to casters, but I didn't think that was the specific intent.

The problem is the DMG just says change the rest times and leaves the rest 100% up to the DM. So effects will vary widely, even among those using the same gritty realism rules.

The nerf to casters intent came up in the (now quite long) Are casters really all that thread.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases