Question: ganging up rules?

Wolffenjugend

First Post
Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% certain that there is a limit of 6 (?) medium creatures that can grapple an opponent at one time. I seem to recall this b/c I always assumed 8 people could grapple a creature since there are 8 adjacent squares. But then I read something, somewhere that put a limit on grapplers...

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
mikebr99 said:
Did he also take into account the cover bonus to AC for the target that the 24 guys and reachers would be providing against the enlarged reachers?

Mike

Not as I recall... but it wasn't laid out very clearly.

It was one of a number of rules introduced in the middle of combat to aid in the 'realism' of railroading... A common feature of that particular game!

The enlarged reachers never got involved... was just speculation on my part! Being silly with the maths again. :)

Still, I'm glad I left that group and found a couple that suit my style of play better....

I think a system could be based off the idea, but ought to offer diminishing returns for the number of extra combatants... I quite agree that the cover effect would kick in for anyone reaching over other combatants

AGGEMAM

First Post
Wolffenjugend said:
Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% certain that there is a limit of 6 (?) medium creatures that can grapple an opponent at one time. I seem to recall this b/c I always assumed 8 people could grapple a creature since there are 8 adjacent squares. But then I read something, somewhere that put a limit on grapplers...

Wouldn't that be 9 grapples instead, the one in the actual square with the opponent and 8 aiders.

argo

First Post
The Conan RPG has a few variant rules that might interest you.

Multiple Opponents: if more than one character makes a melee attack against a single target in the same round, each attacker after the first gets a cumulative +1 bonus to hit (so +2 for the 3rd attacker, +3 for the 4th, etc)

Fruthermore; if you do not have at least one adjacent square which is either empty or occupied by a friendly character then you take a -2 penalty to defense.

So, worst case scenario, if a character is completly surrounded by 8 opponents the 8th opponent gets a +11 to hit: +7 multiple opponents +2 flanking +(-2 to defender's AC)

Hope that helps.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The d20 Conan game has a rule for multiple attackers - each attacker after the first one gets a cumulative +1 to hit, so if Conan is attacked by 5 pirates, the second pirate gets an extra +1, the third gets an extra +2, the fourth gets an extra +3 and the fifth gets an extra +4.

Not D&D, but it is another d20 system (OGL if anyone is technically minded) so I thought it might be interesting

mikebr99 said:
The 15th level Fighter in the DMG. has a +19 Grapple... One Orc and 7 helpers would have a +18 Grapple. Not to bad for a 0 exp. encounter.
The 15th level fighter with improved initiative more whirlwing attack ends encounter before starts or with a freedom of movement ring or flying boots etc... :p recourses that a lvl1 warrior don't has access

Plane Sailing

Not to mention that the 15th level fighter gets an AoO against their touch attack to start the grapple, and if he's got great cleave (quite likely) he'll take the first eight down after the first attempted touch... and if he's got combat reflexes that could continue to be bad for the rest ;)

(

mikebr99

Explorer
Oscar carramiñana said:
The 15th level fighter with improved initiative more whirlwing attack ends encounter before starts or with a freedom of movement ring or flying boots etc... :p recourses that a lvl1 warrior don't has access
And does the 15th level fighter in the DMG... which I used in my example have most of that stuff? Nope... just Imp. initiative, from your list.

Nobody is saying this is a done deal... just doable.

Add 30 orcs (all aiding), and one 4th level grappling barbarian (again, 0 exp. for 15th ftr.), with appropiate feats, and the DMG. Fighter my indeed be in trouble. YMMV

Mike

Plane Sailing

mikebr99 said:
Add 30 orcs (all aiding), and one 4th level grappling barbarian (again, 0 exp. for 15th ftr.), with appropiate feats, and the DMG. Fighter my indeed be in trouble. YMMV

Difficulty is in getting all those orcs close enough to aid! How would you get more than 8 around the fighter at once?

Remove ads